GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby eddysnake on Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 am

Southern Tier Public Day. Beautiful Day, great event, drinks were flowing. nice relaxing venue. Big Belly BBQ from Hamburg NY had a truck there, easily the best BBQ I've ever had.

422 (Pale Wheat Ale) - great beer, especially in the sunny weather, very refreshing
Live (Pale Ale) - very nice citrus sweetness to it
Iniquity (Imperial Black Ale) - really liked this, could get in trouble with this one
2x Nitro Stout (Double Milk Stout) - can't remember a beer this creamy, had to get a few pints of this one
Compass (Imperial Sparking Ale) - didn't think I liked it at first, but it grew on me, sample size wasn't enough, had to get a pint to enjoy
2x Steam (double uncommon) - I was looking forward to this one the most, it didn't disappoint, it was a little heavy, but we walked away with 2 cases anyway.
Bourbon Barrel Aged Back Burner Barley Wine (Imperial Barley wine aged in bourbon barrels) - Man was this awesome, complete surprise
Project Z (Imperial Stout wild fermentation in bourbon barrel with raspberries and blackberries) - probably me least favorite, way too syrupy, reminded me of cough medicine
Du Witte (Belgian Ale) - many returns for pints on this, very smooth
Pittsburgh Left (Double Rye Ale) - brewed for pitt craft week, it was great, wish they would bottle
Sonnet (Special Ale) - brewed for philly craft week, really wish they would bottle, probably my favorite along with the steam

pictures
Spoiler:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Mon May 20, 2013 8:52 am

I take full responsibility for last night's loss. I didn't drink a headhunter. I was at a bar instead. I feel shame.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon May 20, 2013 10:49 am

that Southern Tier thing looks like it was a blast.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 20, 2013 10:53 am

i tried new holland dragon's milk. not at all worth what it costs.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 am

shmenguin wrote:i tried new holland dragon's milk. not at all worth what it costs.

Love that beer.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Mon May 20, 2013 11:52 am

Stowaway IPA is great in a can...don't know of its availability for most, it's a local brew.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby OutofFoil on Mon May 20, 2013 2:29 pm

count2infinity wrote:I take full responsibility for last night's loss. I didn't drink a headhunter. I was at a bar instead. I feel shame.

It could be on me. I'm 2-0 when underground in Australia. Who's paying for me to go back? Oh, and since this is the beer thread, Aussie beer is not good, sampled many, nothing outstanding, not "bad" but nothing worth mentioning. Wine, on the other hand, was amazing.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby ulf on Mon May 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Their beer stunk. Try any tooheys extra dry?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BadHands71 on Mon May 20, 2013 3:49 pm

ulf wrote:Their beer stunk. Try any tooheys extra dry?

Yea, it was ok but nothing special. The one beer I did like was called 150 Lashes pale ale. It was a pretty solid pale ale but expensive as all heck.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ulf on Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Yeah i didn't say it was anything great lol. That and XXXX summer were the only two that were bearable and affordable when I studied there. Boxed wine/goon was usually the way to go.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sigwolf on Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 pm

MWB wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i tried new holland dragon's milk. not at all worth what it costs.

Love that beer.

As do I. Well worth the cost.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Tue May 21, 2013 8:30 am

eddysnake wrote:Southern Tier Public Day. Beautiful Day, great event, drinks were flowing. nice relaxing venue. Big Belly BBQ from Hamburg NY had a truck there, easily the best BBQ I've ever had.

422 (Pale Wheat Ale) - great beer, especially in the sunny weather, very refreshing
Iniquity (Imperial Black Ale) - really liked this, could get in trouble with this one
2x Nitro Stout (Double Milk Stout) - can't remember a beer this creamy, had to get a few pints of this one
Compass (Imperial Sparking Ale) - didn't think I liked it at first, but it grew on me, sample size wasn't enough, had to get a pint to enjoy
2x Steam (double uncommon) - I was looking forward to this one the most, it didn't disappoint, it was a little heavy, but we walked away with 2 cases anyway.
Bourbon Barrel Aged Back Burner Barley Wine (Imperial Barley wine aged in bourbon barrels) - Man was this awesome, complete surprise
Project Z (Imperial Stout wild fermentation in bourbon barrel with raspberries and blackberries) - probably me least favorite, way too syrupy, reminded me of cough medicine
Pittsburgh Left (Double Rye Ale) - brewed for pitt craft week, it was great, wish they would bottle
Sonnet (Special Ale) - brewed for philly craft week, really wish they would bottle, probably my favorite along with the steam

pictures
Spoiler:

What was the deal with this thing? Did you have to buy a ticket or pay per beer?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue May 21, 2013 8:33 am

eddysnake wrote:422 (Pale Wheat Ale) - great beer, especially in the sunny weather, very refreshing

Might be different on tap, but this was a resounding meh for me when I had it in their Pack Of Pales.

Otherwise, sounds like an awesome time.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 9:19 am

Troy Loney wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Southern Tier Public Day. Beautiful Day, great event, drinks were flowing. nice relaxing venue. Big Belly BBQ from Hamburg NY had a truck there, easily the best BBQ I've ever had.

pictures
Spoiler:

What was the deal with this thing? Did you have to buy a ticket or pay per beer?

tickets, it was $1 per ticket and every beer was 1 ticket for a 4oz (i think) sample. Then depending on the gravity you could get ante up and get a 12oz for 3 or 4 tickets. You could also pay cash inside at their bar and get what was on tap there. I think it said they had 25 beers on tap for the day
Last edited by eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 am

the wicked child wrote:
eddysnake wrote:422 (Pale Wheat Ale) - great beer, especially in the sunny weather, very refreshing

Might be different on tap, but this was a resounding meh for me when I had it in their Pack Of Pales.

Otherwise, sounds like an awesome time.

hope thats not the case, I just picked up a pack of pales sampler yesterday for the weekend. I do like the phinn & matts and IPA as well, didn't see 422 sold in cases by itself.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 am

Phinn & Matts and the 2x IPA are both excellent. The Pale Ale is good. The 422 is just kinda there for me. It doesn't really have a lot of wheat or pale ale taste to it... fell into that dreaded tweener zone for me that often happens when trying to cross styles. I can see where it may have been refreshing on a hot sunny day, especially in contrast to some of those other beers you were drinking, but it doesn't really hold up for me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue May 21, 2013 9:47 am

eddysnake wrote:
tickets, it was $1 per ticket and every beer was 1 ticket for a 4oz (i think) sample. Then depending on the gravity you could get ante up and get a 12oz for 3 or 4 tickets. You could also pay cash inside at their bar and get what was on tap there. I think it said they had 25 beers on tap for the day

thanks for the invite. you still mad about me accidentally leaving you on the AC trip?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 11:12 am

canaan wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

thanks for the invite. you still mad about me accidentally leaving you on the AC trip?

Now were even. Some day id like to get a lgp hangout going at me camp which could lead into a 25 minute trip to the brewery.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Tue May 21, 2013 11:16 am

i read that like a pirate. makes it quite enjoyable.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Went to whole foods for the game tonight...found a bottle of Dragon Milk Stout, haven't had it before. Pretty excited
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Hopsun keg backfired, got a case of bells Oberon, ST pack of pales, straub amber. Need something else that won't break bank but is decent
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Do you guys drink a lot of beer? Like how much a day or week. I like beer myself, but I can go for weeks without one. And I don't generally drink harder stuff, minus an occasional sex on a beach or some Kalhua or something like that. But no straight vodka or gin or any of the heavy stuff.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed May 22, 2013 6:36 pm

I usually don't drink during the week, but if I have an especially bad day at work or want to celebrate, I'm not above cracking one open. Most of my drinking happens on Fridays or Saturdays. Quantity depends on circumstance.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 6:49 pm

See, when I was like 20-22, each weekend here we go again. Get drunk, blah blah, it was fun for a while but then at about 22-23 I started getting hangovers and feeling like crap the next day, so I just said to hell with all this drinking and I've been pretty good about that since.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed May 22, 2013 6:52 pm

I don't sport drink any more. I might have six in an evening, but that doesn't happen much. Even when it does, it's not to get drunk. Also very rare to drink on a work night.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR