GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 31, 2013 5:24 pm

I find it a little weird that people have such strong feelings about Sam Adams in either direction.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Could go without it, but beer's beer (at that sort of mass-brewed level). I'll drink it if there's nothing better.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri May 31, 2013 6:24 pm

In the Beer Blast book I think I’ve mentioned in here, author Van Munching described that (at least back in the ’90s when the book was written) a lot of the other early main players in the craft beer movement detested Sam Adams founder Jim Koch because they didn’t consider him to be a “real” brewer. Rather than getting the equipment together and building his own brewery, lagering cellars, bottling lines, etc., Koch just contracted out production to places like Pittsburgh Brewing, F.X. Matt, Strohs, and even Miller. Sam Adams didn’t own a brewery until the late 90s even though by then the company could more than afford it. And even now, while they do brew the vast majority of their own beers, they still contract out a portion of it. I can certainly see how guys like the founders of Sierra Nevada—who started out in a creaky warehouse with second-hand brewing equipment and plenty of scrap metal—might consider Koch to be a phony. Personally, I kinda agree with that assessment, and I don't really consider Sam Adams to be a “real” craft beer.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Fri May 31, 2013 6:57 pm

I think the fact that Sam Adams has come out with new "craft" (or however they label them) beers over the last couple of years proves that they weren't really a craft brewery. Sam Adams used to be an okay beer for me, but the more good beer I drink, the less desire I have to drink that.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri May 31, 2013 6:59 pm

It's like Yuengling: I'm perfectly happy to drink it...unless there's something better available.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 31, 2013 8:49 pm

Mischief from The Bruery tonight. Picked this up at Wegman's in D.C. for $13, Would be $25-$30 around here. A tasty BSPA. I feel like The Bruery house yeast is very similar to Unibroue yeast. That's a good thing.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:34 am

Sam has some very good beers on their line. Noble pils and cream stout come to mind
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:23 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:apparently slappy either:

a.) is a dirty bloomfield yinzer

b.) is a member of a crappy local band

in related news, kenny the kangaroo is going to that new beer drinking place on federal street next to pnc park tomorrow, and will certainly be drinking a sam adams, just to spite the masses.

It was a cool place. Me and the bros picked up some jimmy johns a couple weeks ago when the bucs played the Astros. Drank some brews and snuck into PNC for the extras. Good times.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I picked up an Ommegang Hennepin for the opening puck drop.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 am

update: the beer market is a cool place to go. not sure how its going to last though. who the crap is going to go there when there isnt a sporting event going on?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:update: the beer market is a cool place to go. not sure how its going to last though. who the crap is going to go there when there isnt a sporting event going on?

Why will it be especially prone to lack of crowd on non-game nights?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 am

where do people that live in the northside hang out? there are those decent sized brownstone neighborhoods...i could see those people being beer snobs.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am

MWB wrote:I think the fact that Sam Adams has come out with new "craft" (or however they label them) beers over the last couple of years proves that they weren't really a craft brewery. Sam Adams used to be an okay beer for me, but the more good beer I drink, the less desire I have to drink that.

Yeah, not sure how you can consider yourself a craft brewer when you put out about 50 different brews per year. Having said that, it's not bad beer and I'm not sure what being labeled a "craft brewer" really has to do with anything.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:update: the beer market is a cool place to go. not sure how its going to last though. who the crap is going to go there when there isnt a sporting event going on?

it was packed for the buco game yesterday, looked like a cool place
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 am

pfim wrote:
MWB wrote:I think the fact that Sam Adams has come out with new "craft" (or however they label them) beers over the last couple of years proves that they weren't really a craft brewery. Sam Adams used to be an okay beer for me, but the more good beer I drink, the less desire I have to drink that.

Yeah, not sure how you can consider yourself a craft brewer when you put out about 50 different brews per year. Having said that, it's not bad beer and I'm not sure what being labeled a "craft brewer" really has to do with anything.

I forgot about you. Maine is a good place to be for beer with Allagash and Oxbow. Have you had much Oxbow stuff? How readily available is it in Maine if you know? I also saw there were three of the top 100 bars in the U.S. in Maine. The one place looked incredible. Good beer state.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Kraftster wrote:I forgot about you. Maine is a good place to be for beer with Allagash and Oxbow. Have you had much Oxbow stuff? How readily available is it in Maine if you know? I also saw there were three of the top 100 bars in the U.S. in Maine. The one place looked incredible. Good beer state.

There are a lot of great brews up here. For the Oxbow stuff, you normally need to go to a specialty store or Whole Foods usually has a decent selection. I can't say I've had any of the Oxbow stuff yet, I'll start looking around and report back.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, Baxter Brewing makes Stowaway IPA, it's a very good IPA.

The Sam Adams discussion is timely, Shipyard Export is usually the alternative to Boston Lager and while it's not the best, I much prefer it to Sam Adams. Shipyard's winter Ale, Prelude, is fantastic.

There are a lot of solid breweries up here, Gritty's, Sebago Brewing, Allagash, Baxter, Bar Harbor, Maine Beer (Lunch, MO, Peeper)...too many to name.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Kraftster wrote:I forgot about you. Maine is a good place to be for beer with Allagash and Oxbow. Have you had much Oxbow stuff? How readily available is it in Maine if you know? I also saw there were three of the top 100 bars in the U.S. in Maine. The one place looked incredible. Good beer state.

Where is this list of bars? I'd like to see who is on it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Here's the list: http://draftmag.com/features/americas-1 ... #northeast

The Oxbow Farmhouse Pale Ale that I had was awesome. I was shocked to find it (on draft) since I don't think they distribute outside of Maine (though they had it available in bottles as well for a cool $45).

I want to find a way to plan a trip that involves a stop at Hill Farmstead in Vermont and Oxbow in Maine. That's east coast saison heaven.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Kraftster wrote:Here's the list: http://draftmag.com/features/americas-1 ... #northeast

The Oxbow Farmhouse Pale Ale that I had was awesome. I was shocked to find it (on draft) since I don't think they distribute outside of Maine (though they had it available in bottles as well for a cool $45).

I want to find a way to plan a trip that involves a stop at Hill Farmstead in Vermont and Oxbow in Maine. That's east coast saison heaven.

Unfortunately, that's probably a 3 hour drive between the two, and no interstates...

I've not been to the pub in Lovell, ME (I didn't even know where Lovell is until I looked it up on a map). Great Lost Bear is great, lots of good beers on tap, has a Sharp Edge feel to it (the one in Friendship) where the decor is definitely an afterthought. At least that's how I remember Sharp Edge from 13 years ago.

Novare Res is somewhat of an uppity place, but again good selection of beers.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Is great lost bear the place in Portland?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Is great lost bear the place in Portland?

Yes. Novare Res is in the Old Port (downtown), Great Lost Bear is about a mile or so outside of downtown.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:49 pm

I went to the opening of the Funky Buddha brewpub this past weekend in Ft. Lauderdale. I guess they had a smaller one in Boca Raton, but this one is significantly larger. It was a pretty cool, laid-back place by South Florida standards (i.e. a funk band playing instead of techno, not many dudes wearing half-buttoned, $200 designer shirts). The beer was OK. They had a hoppy Berlinerweiss that I liked the best and decent standards like hefeweizen, porter, and IPAs. They had other more experimental beers like a blueberry cobbler ale and a pina colada ale, and while the girls we were with liked them, I thought they were kinda gross. Bottom line, if you find yourself in Ft. Lauderdale looking for a more chill, out-of-downtown place with decent beer, it's a good pick.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Had a pale ale on a nitro tap today. Steeltooth I think.. That was different. Didn't know what to expect with the nitro. The head was pretty much cream.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stopper40 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:38 am

largegarlic wrote:I went to the opening of the Funky Buddha brewpub this past weekend in Ft. Lauderdale. I guess they had a smaller one in Boca Raton, but this one is significantly larger. It was a pretty cool, laid-back place by South Florida standards (i.e. a funk band playing instead of techno, not many dudes wearing half-buttoned, $200 designer shirts). The beer was OK. They had a hoppy Berlinerweiss that I liked the best and decent standards like hefeweizen, porter, and IPAs. They had other more experimental beers like a blueberry cobbler ale and a pina colada ale, and while the girls we were with liked them, I thought they were kinda gross. Bottom line, if you find yourself in Ft. Lauderdale looking for a more chill, out-of-downtown place with decent beer, it's a good pick.

Did they have any of this? I would love to get my hands on some.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16410/62761
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Pens are 4-0 when I drink one of these and 1-3 when I don't... I have 3 left in the fridge after this one. do it pens.

Spoiler:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR