GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:39 pm

Kraftster wrote:
largegarlic wrote:What are the thoughts on Sly Fox? I've seen more of their stuff popping up around here and picked up a bottle of their Saison Vos at Whole Foods yesterday on the beer guy's recommendation (I haven't had it yet). I mostly like Victory and Troeg's, so I thought I'd see if this is another good Eastern PA brewer.

I finally got around to trying the Saison Vos a few weeks ago. I got it out at the Beer Market, though, and the cork had almost no pop when I popped it (I had to do it because the new server didn't know how to uncage it :roll: ). The first pour tasted a little skunky. The final half of the bottle tasted okay, though. I'd like to try it again one of these days.

Wow, that's not a good sign for the Beer Market (or its staff).
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:03 pm

So, does anyone else here have a "Beer 'guilty pleasure'" - what I mean by that is a beer that you enjoy but that you know would be eschewed by other "beer snobs"?

Mine is Abita Purple Haze
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:30 pm

the wicked child wrote:No review of your trip to Ithaca shad?

Brewery was awesome. The burgers were the best I've had in a long time. The beer was fantastic too. They make a saison called Ground Break that went down great in the warm day.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45 pm

I'd like to try Ground Break again since I've warmed to some hops. I recall it being too hoppy for my liking last that I had it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:23 pm

largegarlic wrote:That got me thinking, what are people's picks for the best Pittsburgh/Western PA brewer? I've had East End, Rivertown, Penn, and Church Brew Works, and I find all of them to be decent, but nothing special. If Fathead's counts (I'm not sure that they do, since I thought they brewed a lot of their stuff in Ohio), I think I would go with them.

My #1 pick would be North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock. They don't bottle, though, so it's strictly growlers and on-site consumption. #2 would probably be Penn. Penn Weizen is one of my favorite beers.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:45 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Lots of saison love on that list. I'm going to have to look out for Bayou Teche LA-31 Bière Pale when I am in Louisiana this fall.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Shyster wrote:Penn Weizen is one of my favorite beers.

Penn Weizen is damn good. :thumb:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:15 pm

largegarlic wrote:That got me thinking, what are people's picks for the best Pittsburgh/Western PA brewer? I've had East End, Rivertown, Penn, and Church Brew Works, and I find all of them to be decent, but nothing special. If Fathead's counts (I'm not sure that they do, since I thought they brewed a lot of their stuff in Ohio), I think I would go with them.

Have you tried Draai Laag in Millvale? They're only open Thursday and Friday evenings, but worth a visit if you enjoy Belgian style beers. Be sure to try the Aureus and the Simon Girty if they have them when you go.

Penn is a mixed bag for me. They have stuff like their Weizen, Weizenbock and Penndemonium that are awesome... but the rest of the beers generally fall in the decent to good range. I'm not a huge lager guy, so that probably affects it to a decent degree. As I mentioned though, do yourself a solid and check out the Kaiser Cider they made w/ Arsenal Cider House... that was damn unique (to me at least) and tasty as hell.

Church Brew... well, they are definitely a mixed bag. Either the overall quality of their beers has gone down over the years, or my taste buds have changed as I tried more beers because the great majority of their beers don't do a whole lot for me anymore. Last time I was there, I got a sampler which had their standards (Pious Monk Dunkel, Pipe Organ Pale Ale and Celestial Gold) and 5 others. The Octoberfest and the Hoptoberfest were the only ones I really enjoyed. The others ranged from meh to ok. I <3 their Pizza though, which is the main reason I go there, moreso than the beer tbh.

I've had a couple beers from Rivertowne... they were all good, not great.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Shyster wrote:

My #1 pick would be North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock. They don't bottle, though, so it's strictly growlers and on-site consumption. #2 would probably be Penn. Penn Weizen is one of my favorite beers.

Yeah, I've heard good things about North Country Brewing, but haven't been anywhere near there in probably 20 years. I'll have to find an excuse to get up there at some point.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:04 pm

the wicked child wrote:

Have you tried Draai Laag in Millvale? They're only open Thursday and Friday evenings, but worth a visit if you enjoy Belgian style beers. Be sure to try the Aureus and the Simon Girty if they have them when you go.

I've heard good things about Draai Laag too. Do they have bottles of their stuff on sale anywhere?
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Having Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. Poured aggressively, as instructed. Very little head. Ok, not great.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 pm

MWB wrote:Having Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. Poured aggressively, as instructed. Very little head. Ok, not great.

I'm a big stout and porter fan. Left Hand's isn't that hot.

I tried Southern Tier Creme Brulee last week and thought it was o.k. I've heard it's killer on draft, though.

If you want a good stout, pick this guy up:

topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:15 pm

largegarlic wrote:
the wicked child wrote:

I've heard good things about Draai Laag too. Do they have bottles of their stuff on sale anywhere?

Just noticed your location... you're highly unlikely to find them outside the PIT area at this point. They mostly do growlers, but I think they occasionally show up on tap at bars/restaurants around the city.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm a big stout guy too. I'll have to look for that one.

Picked up Anderson Valley barrel aged today and a Yeti Chocolate the other day. Love Southern Tier Oatmeal. There's so many good stouts out there.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Need to look for those. Quite a few on that list I haven't seen.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Draai Laag is bottling now. Saw Aureus in a 12 oz. bottle at Ho1kB a couple weeks ago.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 am

largegarlic wrote:
Shyster wrote:

Yeah, I've heard good things about North Country Brewing, but haven't been anywhere near there in probably 20 years. I'll have to find an excuse to get up there at some point.

Church Brew Works will do a rotational every now and then that's ok, but I don't care for their staples.
Rivertown has a pineapple beer...it's gross.
East End Big Hop is a good IPA, but that's a dime a dozen nowadays. Rest of their stuff is just ok.
Penn Brewery...never cared for it.
Full Pint is quality stuff, i've enjoyed almost everything they've done. the Tri-PA and Rye rebellion are well made.
Draii Laag is the best by a pretty significant margin...you can get the golden brugge at park/point brugge all the time i think. But your best bet is to go on a thursday or friday night and get it from the source. It's really good beer.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 am

Oh, and the beer at North Country isn't anything to get excited about. the food is good though.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:10 am

Troy Loney wrote:Oh, and the beer at North Country isn't anything to get excited about. the food is good though.

I had never even heard of that place...just checked the menu/site, looks cool.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:16 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Oh, and the beer at North Country isn't anything to get excited about. the food is good though.

Did you ever go to Pearl Street Brewery in Buffalo? It's just a watered down version of that place.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BadHands71 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:32 am

Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

Did you ever go to Pearl Street Brewery in Buffalo? It's just a watered down version of that place.

Pearl street has excellent beer and their corned beef is killer too. Wish it was closer. Their Lake Effect Ale is delicious!
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BadHands71 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:38 am

topshelf wrote:
MWB wrote:Having Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. Poured aggressively, as instructed. Very little head. Ok, not great.

I'm a big stout and porter fan. Left Hand's isn't that hot.

I tried Southern Tier Creme Brulee last week and thought it was o.k. I've heard it's killer on draft, though.

If you want a good stout, pick this guy up:

Ten Fidy is a great stout. A few other imperial stouts that I love are Mission Dark Seas and North Coast Old Rasputin. I've said before that the Yeti collection from Great Divide are musts for any stout lover. If you want a good milk stout, try Lancasters. Most of their beers are unremarkable but Lancaster Milk Stout is really solid.

Dark Horse Brewing out of Michigan does a phenomenal imperial stout called Plead the Fifth. It's often tough to find in Pa but is worth looking for.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:43 am

Big Pour tickets go on sale 7/29. $75 again...atleast they aren't raising the price. Still an expensive three hours. still an awesome time, can't wait to drinks tons of awesome beer and eat great food.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:Picked up some Rouge Mocha Porter at a liquor store here in Tulsa. Enjoyable, but something was missing. It wasn't as smooth as I had hoped it would be. I don't think I'll be having it again.

I thought their choclate was very smooth, or am I thinking of the Southern Tier Chocolat?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR