Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:27 am

Had Dogfish Red and White at Wexford Ale House tonight. If not for the hop taste, I would've probably enjoyed it more.

Had my first Angry Orchard as well, and I question why I've never had it before.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:02 am

Xingu is good.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:04 am

Oxbow Barrell Aged Farmhouse Ale is right up there with Anchorage Love Buzz Saison for me as my top beer. Had them too far apart to compare beyond knowing there's not a thing I would change about either. Perfect brett beer.

Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BadHands71 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:43 am

Finally found some halfway decent beer down here in SA. There is a brewery out of Cape Town. They make a solid amber and belgian wit. :thumb:
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BigMcK on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:47 pm

BadHands71 wrote:Finally found some halfway decent beer down here in SA. There is a brewery out of Cape Town. They make a solid amber and belgian wit. :thumb:

Assuming common US beers are served (Bud, Miller, Coors, Stella), are there any surprises as to Craft Beers from the US? Stone comes to mind, as does Lagunitas.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby OutofFoil on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:19 pm

No craft beer here to speak of. It took extraordinary efforts to find what BadHands described. I'd almost trade my left nut for an IPA here. Not even any pretenders. All mass produced, no taste lagers that are 4% or less. On the bright side, it's about $1 a pint in a bar. The "craft" beers we had last night were $4 for 1/2 a liter.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby the wicked child on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Okay, so like last year, I attended the 5-8 session of the brew fest. I could be misremembering, but it seemed like it might have been more crowded this year.

There was a definite emphasis on local breweries this year. Lots of new breweries popping up all over the place. One (Four Seasons) was so new that they didn't have any beer to sample. Draai Laag brought Simon Girty, Gouden Brugge and a Framboise, although I missed out on the GB because they ran out and actually started pouring the Framboise early. It was tasty... reminded me a lot of the Lindeman's Framboise. Hop Farm was out of their IPA, but I wanted to try their Saison anyway. Now, let me state that this is one of those "hoppy" saisons ala Ground Break, so be warned when you try it. That said, the hops were less prevalent than in GB and it was quite a tasty brew, I thought.

North Country and Copper Kettle were no where to be found. Full Pint was not listed, but was there.

My goal heading in was to try all of the wheat and saisons. I largely stuck to that plan, but brewery schedules and supply didn't always make that easy.

Most of the wheat beers actually let me down. Cellar Door, East End, Roundabout, Stoudt's... all ranged between meh and ok. The best wheat related beer was Dogfish Head's Positive Contact. This batch had a significantly stronger cider taste than the bottle I had back in January, but it was still excellent. Their limited pour was Black & Blue which was a belgian ale w/ berries. It was damn tasty. Also tried their Theo Broma ( a chocolate ale). It was interesting, but not sure I'd drink it again.

Arsenal Cider House was there and I tried their Fighting Elleck Cider. It was pretty much a perfect beverage for a hot day. I could definitely down a growler of it. 2/2 from those guys so far. Didn't make it abck to try their other cider, that one was supposed to be more "dry" while the FE was more sweet.

Outta Focus had a Raspberry Brett beer. It tasted like raspberries... and that was basically it. I didn't mind it, but wasn't anything there to make me want to go back.

My least favorite beers of the day:

Anderson Valley - Summer Solstice
Roundabout - Ginga Wheat
Church Brew Works - Unholy Matrimony

Favorite beers of the day:

Dogfish Head - Positive Contact
Draai Laag - Simon Girty
Hop Farm - Saison
Full Pint - Chanooki

I also wanted to mention the food. It was once again catered by The Flame BBQ. However, they went well beyond last year food wise. You still got a pulled pork sandwich, but similarities end there. The buffet had some kind of hashbrowns, nacho chips and a salad mix w/ Ranch and Italian dressings. Then when you got to the counter, They had a hot dog, but you had the option to make it the "Boss Dog". This entailed topping your dog with pulled pork, coleslaw, bbq sauce and pickles. it was damn tasty. I also needed the grub at that point because I had sampled quite a bit.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Also trying the Aventinus right now. I was NOT expecting it to be a double weizenbock. (Yes, I totally missed that on the label until I started pouring and saw it was dark). It is very tasty and definitely the only beer I've ever had of this style. But I could never put it above Weihenstephaner or Franziskaner based on style alone. I'd still give this like a 4.5/5 rating though. Very good.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

the wicked child wrote:Also trying the Aventinus right now. I was NOT expecting it to be a double weizenbock. (Yes, I totally missed that on the label until I started pouring and saw it was dark). It is very tasty and definitely the only beer I've ever had of this style. But I could never put it above Weihenstephaner or Franziskaner based on style alone. I'd still give this like a 4.5/5 rating though. Very good.

oh yeah... that stuff is like 8%+. 2 pints of that is usually enough for me to call it a night, unless i really feel like getting loose.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Kraftster wrote:
BigMcK wrote:One bottle per customer per purchase, so says my local store. My lone bottle got shared with 3 others. The beer pours like motor oil, has a definite sweet bourbon flavor and is best served in a snifter. At 13%, it's a brew best shared. Very heavy in nose and taste. It would be interesting to see how much sediment was left in the fermentation tank.

Founder Greg Koch, Fark.com Founder Drew Curtis, and Actor/Home brewer Wil Wheaton have teamed up for the next Stone collaboration. The aptly named Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout features an imperial stout brewed with pecans, wheat & rye, partially aged in bourbon barrels. Nerds, beer nerds, & Fark lovers a like anxiously await a release date for this whopping 13% brew.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/stone-farking-wheat-w00tstout/

Just scored a bottle. Breaking Bad tomorrow Night seems like a worthy occasion, or perhaps just the soonest. :scared:

Holy farking wheaton! 13% means 13%.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:49 am

Kraftster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
BigMcK wrote:One bottle per customer per purchase, so says my local store. My lone bottle got shared with 3 others. The beer pours like motor oil, has a definite sweet bourbon flavor and is best served in a snifter. At 13%, it's a brew best shared. Very heavy in nose and taste. It would be interesting to see how much sediment was left in the fermentation tank.

Founder Greg Koch, Fark.com Founder Drew Curtis, and Actor/Home brewer Wil Wheaton have teamed up for the next Stone collaboration. The aptly named Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout features an imperial stout brewed with pecans, wheat & rye, partially aged in bourbon barrels. Nerds, beer nerds, & Fark lovers a like anxiously await a release date for this whopping 13% brew.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/stone-farking-wheat-w00tstout/

Just scored a bottle. Breaking Bad tomorrow Night seems like a worthy occasion, or perhaps just the soonest. :scared:

Holy farking wheaton! 13% means 13%.

:-) Did you enjoy it? My local was out when I went back for another bottle.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Definitely. It is a tall order to drink by yourself, though. Sharing with one other seems about perfect.
I definitely enjoyed it most at probably 55-60 degrees, where I thought the pecan came through a lot more. Excellent imperial stout.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Was also at the 5-8 at Millvale. Agree that the food was better this year and had a better setup. Did seem very crowded. Was surprised that Southern Tier wasn't there, but they were at Stage AE.

The Simon Girty was a favorite of mine as well.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:21 pm

To celebrate my no-cavity dentist visit (and since my dentist is by there anyway), stopped at Wegman's to pick up a six pack. To my pleasant surprise, Bell's Two Hearted was in the mix a six section. Now THIS is a fantastic IPA to enjoy on the patio on a beautiful August evening.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malkinshair on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Had a couple great lakes Oktoberfest at dinner...
Sipping on a raison d'etre right now.
Rare Vos on deck.

I probably won't even notice the Pirates inevitable collapse.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:39 am

For the Philly folks, if anyone is into sours, Devil's Den (11th & Ellsworth) is having a sour tap takeover event tomorrow. The draft list looks very good.

1809 Berliner Weisse
4 Hands Cuvee Angel
4 Hands Prussian Berliner Weisse
Alvinne Undressed
Alvinne Zythmore
Ballast Point Sour Wench
Banhof Berliner w/ Oats & Barley,
Banhof Berliner w/ Potatoes
Bell's Oarsman
Blue Point Sour Cherry Imperial Stout
Brew Works Berliner Weisse
Brew Works Framboise
Brew Works Funky Monkey
Bruery Hottenroth
Bruery Saison de Lente
Bruery Sour in the Rye
Bullfrog Coq Fight
Bullfrog Jong Bruin
Bullfrog Strange Orange
Bullfrog Top Banana
Carton Digger Gose
Carton Intermezzo
Carton Monkey Chase the Weasel
Cuvee des Jacobins Rogue
Dogfish Head Festina Peche
Evil Twin Justin Blabaer
Evil Twin Ron & the Beast Ryan
Free WIll Napoleon Red
Free Will Napoleon Sour
Ithaca White Gold
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere
Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga
Jolly Pumpkin IO Saison
Jolly Pumpkin Madrigada
Jolly Pumpkin Maracaibo
Jolly Pumpkin Oro Calabaza
Jolly Pumpkin Parcella
Jolly Pumpkin Weizen Bam
Leipziger Gose
Leifman's Goudenband
Manayunk Grand Cru
Manayunk Schuylkill Punch with Brett
Oxbow Sasuga
Petrus Brune
Petrus Aged Pale Ale
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Round Guys Saison Du Pomme
Round Guys Wild Sour Quad
Round Guys Wild Eye #10
Russian River Sanctification
Russian River Supplication
Russian River Temptation
Tilquin Gueze
Vapeur Cochonne

My personal recommendations: Bruery Sour in the Rye, Bullfrog Jong Bruin, Jolly Pumpkin Oro Calabaza, Tilquin Gueze (an awesome gueuze if you've never had one), all the Russian Rivers (Supplication is probably my favorite sour but Temptation (blonde sour) made me think twice about that).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:47 am

Drank one my Allagash FV-13 last night....real good.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:55 am

Kraftster wrote:For the Philly folks, if anyone is into sours, Devil's Den (11th & Ellsworth) is having a sour tap takeover event tomorrow. The draft list looks very good.

Hmmm...I lived 3 blocks away from there.
You would not have found such a place there 10 years ago.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 am

Troy Loney wrote:Drank one my Allagash FV-13 last night....real good.

Nice! I'm down to one left. Going to try to take it with me to Portland in October.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:08 am

had some Great Lakes and Sam Adams and Penn Oktoberfest over the weekend. I really wanted to wait a bit longer to pick up a case, but it's been a whole week and I think that's long enough. The Great Lakes was awesome as usual. Last year I enjoyed the Brooklyn Oktoberfest, but want to switch it up. GL is in the lead for a pickup today, any other suggestions?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:11 am

I am a big fan of Weyerbacher Autumnfest. It usually hits shelves right around now.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 am

I'm a big fan of fest beirs... its probably all I'll drink from the start of football season until they stop delivering. There are so many good ones available that I never get bored with them.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:45 am

I wish I liked Octoberfest Beers, but Harvest and Pumpkin beers are decent concillation for the weather turning colder.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:45 am

Anchor Tumbler is out....yessss
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:49 am

Troy Loney wrote:I wish I liked Octoberfest Beers, but Harvest and Pumpkin beers are decent concillation for the weather turning colder.

Give Autumn Fest a try if you see it. Its actually not a marzen but an amber.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR