GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby eddysnake on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 pm

I quite enjoy Oberon, I'll see you all in hell.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Hennepin and Rare Vos tonight during visit from in-laws. Both so nice and peppery. Yum.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Bought a four-pack of Green Flash Grand Cru Dark Ale. It's a Belgian style Abbey dubbel along the lines of a Chimay Blue. It's not bad, but it's not as complex and spicy as some of its Belgian contemporaries. Then again, it's much cheaper than those beers, so the tradeoff may be worth it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Shyster wrote:Bought a four-pack of Green Flash Grand Cru Dark Ale. It's a Belgian style Abbey dubbel along the lines of a Chimay Blue. It's not bad, but it's not as complex and spicy as some of its Belgian contemporaries. Then again, it's much cheaper than those beers, so the tradeoff may be worth it.

That's basically how I feel about Rayon Vert as well. It is not quite up to the standard of some of the brettanomyces-laden american wild ales that one can find, but for the money and ready availability, its a really nice option.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:50 pm

shmenguin wrote:Apparently a place near me has sixtels of ABT 12. In other news, i need a kegerator. That beer is all I want to drink anymore.

I would go broke, and be a total alcoholic... love that beer.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:53 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Eliot Ness is aweeeeesome.

I've heard too many good things about it to not pass it up.

Do. not. understand. the fascination with Great Lakes. It's all that is talked about locally, and all it does for me is cause heartburn initially and a hangover the next day. With the craft beer explosion there are *so* many more worthwhile beers readily available that are so much better than that.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:04 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'm a humungous big fan of belgian tripels and quads, so it was the responsible thing for me to do to finally pickup a rochefort 10 to try. hopefully i don't like it, because it's crazy expensive.

If you already are a fan of quads and haven't had it yet you will undoubtedly be a fan.

I'm generally not a tripel/quad fan, but i will steal from children to get a Rochefort 10. So complex and potent, but smoov. A definite treat beer for me.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Eliot Ness is aweeeeesome.

I've heard too many good things about it to not pass it up.

Do. not. understand. the fascination with Great Lakes. It's all that is talked about locally, and all it does for me is cause heartburn initially and a hangover the next day. With the craft beer explosion there are *so* many more worthwhile beers readily available that are so much better than that.

Couldn't disagree more. Ed Fitz Porter is probably my favorite porter. Alchemy Hour is a tremendous DIPA. The regular IPA is also very good. Great Lakes is just an excellent brewery.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Yeah, have to agree with MWB. I know some breweries have gotten overrated, but Great Lakes is absolutely outstanding. Their porter, DIPA, IPA, lagers, etc are all fantastic.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, have to agree with MWB. I know some breweries have gotten overrated, but Great Lakes is absolutely outstanding. Their porter, DIPA, IPA, lagers, etc are all fantastic.

Maybe they are so popular because of the hop craze then. I am not a fan of the hop-driven beers that are so popular now. Great Lakes beers are everywhere around me, and one of my last choices to drink. The porter is OK, but would not be a top choice. Love Belgian quads and dubbels all year. Love porters and stouts. In the warmer months I like hefes and a good lager. In the cooler, I like a lot of octoberfests, pumpkin, and Christmas ales. Never have any particular desire for an IPA (although the Dogfish Head 60 minute is what I would consider a drinkable IPA) At no time do I have a desire for a Great Lakes Beer. They're more like a last resort, and you can't turn around without bumping into them here.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:09 am

I think their best beers are their non hop-driven beers. If you love quads and dubbels, then yeah Great Lakes isn't for you, lol. Great Lakes Christmas Ale is one of my absolute favorites.

I see your location is north central ohio... no crap they're everywhere, that's where the brewery is located, lol. I don't know how close you are to Cleveland, but if you're close enough and want a great place for beer and food, hit up Fatheads in North Olmstead. It's a great place for a variety of great beers (both things they brew there and other micros)
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:25 am

Saw my Market District's (Shadyside) new beer cafe for the first time yesterday. It's the last local MD to get one. And it's sweet.

I counted at least 5 beers on tap. A Fatheads brew, something from East End Brewing, something from Church Brew Works...available by the glass or in growlers. Wine by the glass also available.

The beer selection is amazing, one of the best of all the Market Districts and Giant Eagles selling beers. I plan to go back Saturday when I have more time and look at everything they have.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:38 am

eddysnake wrote:I quite enjoy Oberon, I'll see you all in hell.

im in this boat.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:38 am

I just bought a case of oberon yesterday...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:18 pm

count2infinity wrote:I just bought a case of oberon yesterday...

I like it as well.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Shyster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:There's an awesome Unibroue sampler at Save On Beer. I think it is:
(x4 each)
La Fin Du Monde
Blanche De Chamblay
Ephemere
Don De Dieu
Maudite
Trois Pistoles

I've bought one of those before. IMO, Unibroue doesn't brew anything that would rate as less than excellent. I do wish it was a little cheaper. Alas, contrary to that nonsensical saying, the best things in life are in fact often very, very expensive.

Do you know if they still have this Kraftster? This is the one on Mcknight on the opposite side from North Hills Village, right?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Shyster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:There's an awesome Unibroue sampler at Save On Beer. I think it is:
(x4 each)
La Fin Du Monde
Blanche De Chamblay
Ephemere
Don De Dieu
Maudite
Trois Pistoles

I've bought one of those before. IMO, Unibroue doesn't brew anything that would rate as less than excellent. I do wish it was a little cheaper. Alas, contrary to that nonsensical saying, the best things in life are in fact often very, very expensive.

Do you know if they still have this Kraftster? This is the one on Mcknight on the opposite side from North Hills Village, right?

I would guess they do. The foreign stuff/Belgian secton is right inside to the left near the front of the store, and it doesn't seem to move that quickly (probably because of price - $60+). Yeah, its the one at the "beginning" of McKnight by Red Lobster.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:00 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Saw my Market District's (Shadyside) new beer cafe for the first time yesterday. It's the last local MD to get one. And it's sweet.

I counted at least 5 beers on tap. A Fatheads brew, something from East End Brewing, something from Church Brew Works...available by the glass or in growlers. Wine by the glass also available.

The beer selection is amazing, one of the best of all the Market Districts and Giant Eagles selling beers. I plan to go back Saturday when I have more time and look at everything they have.

I stopped in last weekend to check it out. Seems pretty solid. I would rank the MD beer sections as follows:

Shaler/Glenshaw > Settler's Ridge > Pine = Shadyside > McKnight (hoping McIntyre square converts to MD and has better than the other McKnight one).

I think I'm missing the south hills GE and anything to the east also (don't know that area at all).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Kraftster wrote:McIntyre square converts to MD and has better than the other McKnight one

McIntyre Square is my go-to Giant Eagle. I’ve seen liquor-license notices on the front window on multiple occasions over the last couple years, but so far they’ve never resulted in a beer section.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Currently drinking a Pranqster... Me like. It reminds me of a less harsh tasting Golden Monkey. Good stuff.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:45 pm

canaan wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I quite enjoy Oberon, I'll see you all in hell.

im in this boat.

I've heard that the prince of darkness is a fan of PBR...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah, I quite like this Pranqster. I'd say it's a tossup between this and the Maisel's Weisse for best of haul.

Still have the Dirty Bastard and Three Philosophers to go.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Elevator Brewing Company Heiferweizen.

It's my first hefeweizen, and I like it. Definitely taste a banana flavor, augmented by a little spice.

I can assume hefe's get better from here?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:23 pm

stopper40 wrote:I've bought 20 bottles of Pumking in the past 2 days at Giant eagle the past 2 days

:fist:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:23 pm

If you want to delve into Hefeweizens, you want to focus on the good German ones. Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner are the best, IMO.

Most American hefes are just average, IMO. Penn Brewery's Weizen is pretty good.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR