GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby letsgoalpens on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:06 am

Sigwolf wrote:Finally got a chance to try Brooklyn Black Ops (2012) stout in Alexandria this weekend. Very good, but ridiculously expensive at $60 for a 750ml (restaurant price). I've heard about it for a while, but this is the first place I've even seen it, so I went for it. Very enjoyable, but I would rate this year's limited release of Thirsty Dog Wulver higher for that type of beer (stout vs. wee heavy, however), and I thought that was expensive at $25 for a four pack. Despite the sticker shock, still glad I got to try it.

WOW! That is expensive. I think I paid $25 for a bottle at the beer store. 60 bucks is a lot for that beer. Hell, $60 might get you a 4 pack of KBS online. Glad you liked it at least. Would have been horrible if you were "meh" about it.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgoalpens on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:07 am

MRandall25 wrote:I'm assuming Ten Fidy means it's 10.5 ABV?

You are correct. Have some 2011 still hanging around. Need to do a vertical sometime soon. I love imperial stouts.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BadHands71 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:14 pm

BigMcK wrote:Age for? I have three verticals of red wine cellared (three vintners) that appear on WS's list of age value, how do you make a choice as to what to cellar for beer?

I generally choose beers that I like when they are fresh off of the production line that I know meet my personal cellaring criteria. For example. I bought a 4 pack of Expedition Stout by Bells last year. Drank one right away and will save the other three to stagger for the next few years. Then I make notes as I taste each year. I'll try to buy a 4 pack in the next few years and do a vertical at some point down the line.

count2infinity wrote:From my understanding, the best beers to age are pretty high alcohol content beers. You usually do not want to age hop forward beers as the aroma and taste of hops will be gone by the time you crack them open. When they age, apparently they mellow out on the alcohol taste...a lot.

Yes, a beer should be at least 8% ABV before you consider aging it. Belgians, sours, stouts, porters, and scotch ales tend to age well. Aging tends to mellow the alcohol flavor but increase the ABV. Flavors generally become smoother and more rounded out. For example, I aged a bottle of Dogfish 120 Min (really the only IPA that can be aged due to the incredibly high ABV and the fact that it's not a traditional IPA in some ways) for about 3 years. It had an incredibly smooth flavor and the alcohol hit was much more subdued. It also had a sweeter note to it which is due to the hops fading slightly and giving the malt a little more pop. It was definitely a sipper though. Personally I love aging stouts and scotch ales. A good stout becomes silky smooth and mellow when aged, making for a heavenly winter beer. Scotch ales lose some of the overwhelming sweetness when aged and you get a richer flavor and mouthfeel. I find aged scotch ales to be more balanced and drinkable than when they are fresh but that's just me. As a side note, it's generally good to avoid aging anything that is smoked. The other flavors will mellow but the smoke notes won't and tend to become overpowering. Coffee stouts on the other hand tend to age well. Some of the Christmas Ales tend to age nicely as well, Mad Elf comes to mind for this one. (I have a few of those cellaring right now).
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BadHands71 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:32 pm

columbia wrote:Top 5 stouts that are reasonably available and won't break the bank? I was finally able to open the windows last week and feeling autumnal.

I second the Oskar Blues Ten Fidy. Definitely an awesome stout.

Here's my thoughts:

Regular Stouts: 4-7% ABV
Kalamazoo Stout- Bell's
Chicory Stout- Dogfish Head
Java Stout- Bell's
Night of the Living Stout- Full Pint Brewing
Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout- Anderson Valley

Imperial Stouts: 7-11% ABV
Great Divide Yeti- (Any version is awesome but I'm partial to the original and the chocolate)
Mission Dark Seas- One of my absolute FAVORITE imperial stouts. It's 10.5% and yet incredibly smooth. Love love love.
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy- We've already talked about this lovely one.
Bell's Expedition Stout- Love it. One of my first and still favorite stouts.
North Coast Old Rasputin- Amazing Imperial
3 Extras:
Plead the Fifth- Dark Horse. Can be a little tough to find but worth the effort.
Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Stout- Also labeled as W-n-B (figure it out), it's amazing. Breakfast in a glass.
Storm King is pretty good as well- by Victory

I didn't include Founder's KBS or New Holland Dragon's Milk for a reason. Founder's KBS is practically impossible to find and Dragon's Milk is amazing but pretty pricey, even for a 10% stout. Aside from the Terrapin, all the imperial stouts I listed are 10%+ and don't cost as much as Dragon's Milk.

Porters: (While I'm thinking of dark and heavy beers)
Edmund Fitzgerald- Great Lakes
Gonzo- Flying Dog
Bell's Porter
Anchor Porter
Founder's Porter

Coffee Porters:
Atwater Vanilla Java
Kona Pipeline Porter
Duck Rabbit Porter
Fathead's Battle Axe

There is an amazing one that I wish we could get here but it doesn't get exported from Hawaii yet. It's called White Mountain Coconut Coffee Porter by Big Island Brewhaus. Amazing.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:57 pm

today was a big day. the day i discovered whole sale beer distributors. "moore beverage" in south philly to be exact. picked up a case of founders breakfast stout for 59.99. i also got a case of this rare dogfish beer. i'm not into it, but you can get a case of pumking for 79.99 - less than 7 dollars per bottle.

if you're near philly and you don't mind the ghetto, check it out...
http://www.beermenus.com/places/6785-moore-beverage

bonkers
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:05 pm

What was the Dogfish beer?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:06 pm

MRandall25 wrote:What was the Dogfish beer?

Urkontinent
http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/th ... tinent.htm

they also have cases of 120 minute at this place. i've never seen that before.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:30 pm

haven't read it all, but sounds interesting:

Recommending products to consumers means not only understanding
their tastes, but also understanding their level of experience.
For example, it would be a mistake to recommend the iconic film
Seven Samurai simply because a user enjoys other action movies;
rather, we might conclude that they will eventually enjoy it—once
they are ready. The same is true for beers, wines, gourmet foods—
or any products where users have acquired tastes: the ‘best’ products
may not be the most ‘accessible’. Thus our goal in this paper
is to recommend products that a user will enjoy now, while
acknowledging that their tastes may have changed over time, and
may change again in the future. We model how tastes change due
to the very act of consuming more products—in other words, as
users become more experienced. We develop a latent factor recommendation
system that explicitly accounts for each user’s level
of experience. We find that such a model not only leads to better
recommendations, but also allows us to study the role of user experience
and expertise on a novel dataset of fifteen million beer, wine,
food, and movie reviews.

http://i.stanford.edu/~julian/pdfs/www13.pdf

found it linked through 20 best beers link

http://www.businessinsider.com/experts-pick-best-beers-in-the-world-2013-9?op=1&utm_source=RateBeer+Weekly&utm_campaign=48a8cd5036-rbweekly_61a&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_33216a9626-48a8cd5036-309111185
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Where can I get Founders' KBS in the Pittsburgh area? One big item missing from my list, but I can't recall ever seeing it, at least in my area.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgoalpens on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:01 pm

slappybrown wrote:Where can I get Founders' KBS in the Pittsburgh area? One big item missing from my list, but I can't recall ever seeing it, at least in my area.

You can't. It is only released in late march and sells out immediately. It doesn't usually even make it to the shelf and most places don't even get any. Founders only gives out KBS to stores that move the highest volumes of Founders Beer. I think there were something like 200 beer stores in Atlanta that tried to get some last year and only like 50 got any. Even huge stores like Total Wine or Hop City only got three cases. Most places don't even sell you an entire four pack and instead will have a one or two bottle limit since it is in such high demand. I am in good with three beer stores in the area but none of them even got any this past March. Two of them got some last year but didn't get any this year and one store was just too new (opened in November 2012). It is the best beer I have ever had and, imo, completely worth tracking down. I am actually going to be having a bottle of 2012 and 2013 this weekend with buddy.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:05 pm

There are many better barrel aged stouts than KBS. MANY.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Interesting. I've only had 5/20, but I should be able to knock off at least 3 more when I'm in Portland next week.

What are some tips for traveling with wine (in my case, beer)? If everything goes well in Vegas before I head to Portland, I may try to buy one of those cases that you can check that you can get 12 bottles into, but I'm wondering what, if any, tips some of you may have. If I end up only bringing a few bottles back, I'll probably just wrap in clothes in my checked suitcase.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Jim wrote:There are many better barrel aged stouts than KBS. MANY.

I am all ears, what do you like? KBS gets rave reviews by most in this thread, and is one I want to try.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I will have to look at my Beer Advocate and Untappd accounts to try to get a list...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby UVM2003 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:57 pm

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say "many". KBS is mass produced and distributed to 20 states that see founders products. There's probably only one other bourbon barrel aged stout that sees as wide a distribution - bourbon county stout . I probably prefer it to KBS. However, the ones that are better are the thinly distributed, brewery only, or retired. I too prefer many bourbon aged stouts to KBS, but for its distribution and relative ease of purchase, it's probably the best most of the casual beer geeks will sample. JMO.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgoalpens on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 am

UVM2003 wrote:

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say "many". KBS is mass produced and distributed to 20 states that see founders products. There's probably only one other bourbon barrel aged stout that sees as wide a distribution - bourbon county stout . I probably prefer it to KBS. However, the ones that are better are the thinly distributed, brewery only, or retired. I too prefer many bourbon aged stouts to KBS, but for its distribution and relative ease of purchase, it's probably the best most of the casual beer geeks will sample. JMO.

I would love to know which beers you guys think are better. There are plenty out there I have not had, sadly, but imperial stouts are my favorite style and I have had tons of BBA imperial stouts. None, that I have had, are even in the same ball park as KBS. Everybody's palate/preferences are different but KBS is balanced in a way that I have not had before or since. I know it gets hate because of its whale status but I think it is as perfect as beer can get. Granted, my first experience with KBS was without hype, since I didn't know what I was really having, but it meets my expectations each time. It is great fresh, which many BBA imperial stouts can't claim, and is just as good aged. If I could readily get KBS and it was reasonably priced I would never buy another beer. So please, check your untapped and reviews and tell me which ones are better because I want to track those down.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby UVM2003 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 am

I didn't say there were "many". I said it was disingenuous to say that to this crowd. KBS is more readily available than BA stouts that are better.

Off the top of my head:
Barrel aged plead the fifth
Bourbon county coffee
Bourbon county vanilla
Bourbon county rare
Voodoo black magick
Pappy van winkle aged big black voodoo daddy
Black Tuesday
Chocolate rain
Elijah Craig 18 year eclipse
Any barrel aged hunahpu
Hill farmstead Damon
Barrel aged blackout stout
Parabola
Barrel aged peche mortel

Are some of these whales - maybe bourbon county rare.

If you're looking for a comparable beer that is available, try epic big bad baptist, an imperial stout with coffee, cocoa nibs, and vanilla aged in bourbon barrels.

Don't get me wrong - I freaking love KBS. I wish there was a bit more barrel presence though. I also disagree and think its best fresh. It gets thin and loses its coffee with age.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:16 pm

On an ESB kick recently.
Enjoying a six of Fullers ESB tonight.
Good, but not the best I've ever tasted.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby slappybrown on Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Ommegang scythe and sickle harvest ale is some good stuff
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:32 pm

It s harder for me to make the list than I thought it was going to be. Most of the listing on Beer Advocate and Untappd don't obviously say "BBA" in the title of the beer so I am having difficulty remembering which is what I am looking for. I also don't want to waste your time with super rare beers or stuff that you will just be able to get in trade from someone on the other side of the country.

Two that I have seen around are:
Schelafly BBA Imperial Stout
Heavy Seas Siren Noire (has chocolate too, so if you do not like chocolate)

Wow... I think that I just gotta go to a bottle shop and look in order to make this list. ou may have given me an excuse to go to House of 1000 tonight... HA!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby malkinshair on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:07 am

Had an East End Black Strap Stout the other night at dinner. Wasn't too shabby...a little too much sweetness by the end of it, but overall pretty good. The first half of the beer was excellent.

My wife picked up a case of Spaten Oktoberfest for the Pens game last night. Not sure why, but Spaten kicks my butt. It's only a 5.9%, but for some reason 3 feels like 5...and so on.

The distributor she went to had 1 case of the Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale for $55. Kinda glad she didn't get it, as I'm at my tipping point with pumkin beers (though I did enjoy the Elysian Dark O' the Moon Pumpkin Stout the other day), but the Whole Hog is sooo good.

One thing about the Elysian Pumpkin Stout...the flavor was very unique. It was heavy cinnamon and dark chocolate with a hint of pumpkin. The flavor reminded me of this...which is not a bad thing.

Spoiler:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:47 pm

What are yinz drinking for Buccos game tonight?

I picked up a Unibroue Trois Pistoles, but forgot the plastic cups.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby viva la ben on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:49 pm

IC LIGHT
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:52 pm

IC Mango.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:52 pm

the remainder of my East End nunkin that i was supposed to finish at my draft last Saturday. Shelf life starts getting questionable after 2 weeks so tonight is probably an ideal night for it.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR