GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby BigMcK on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:42 am

Cave Creek was a great place to hang out on a Saturday and watch live music. Food offered was not great, beer brewed there was okay. And their niche chili beer marketing was everywhere. Chili beer was a novelty to get people to their place.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:43 am

i noticed something very strange from saturday's beer run...

in jersey, i can get a case of st bernardus abt 12 for $108. and this is just from some regular beer store. but i go to a distributor in philly and the same case is $135. and this price is consistent across multiple distributors.

another example...if i bought 24, 11 oz bottles of Rochefort 10 INDIVIDUALLY from the same place in jersey, I'd spend $168. but if i bought a case of it in philly, it's $199.

what gives? is there something going on in pennsylvania where they have to mark up belgian imports to this insane degree?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:10 pm

I'd love to know what is going on in PA. Sharp Edge was charging $14 for a pint of Ommegang Gnomegang a couple weeks ago. I had words with my server. That is completely absurd. I have no problem blaming it all on Sharp Edge, but I feel like there has to be some other explanation for some of the outrageous prices.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:12 pm

I'd really like to try a mole beer. I'd have a hard time considering that to be a chili beer in the same way as jalapeno/habanero or even chipotle/ancho beers. I've liked several of the chili beers that I've had, especially when combined with some chocolate flavors, so that mole would be intriguing.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 pm

shmenguin wrote:i noticed something very strange from saturday's beer run...

in jersey, i can get a case of st bernardus abt 12 for $108. and this is just from some regular beer store. but i go to a distributor in philly and the same case is $135. and this price is consistent across multiple distributors.

another example...if i bought 24, 11 oz bottles of Rochefort 10 INDIVIDUALLY from the same place in jersey, I'd spend $168. but if i bought a case of it in philly, it's $199.

what gives? is there something going on in pennsylvania where they have to mark up belgian imports to this insane degree?

Is the difference only for Belgians or Imports in general? I've always found the costs of beer to be cheaper in NJ and DE than PA due to tax differences.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Kraftster wrote:I'd love to know what is going on in PA. Sharp Edge was charging $14 for a pint of Ommegang Gnomegang a couple weeks ago. I had words with my server. That is completely absurd. I have no problem blaming it all on Sharp Edge, but I feel like there has to be some other explanation for some of the outrageous prices.

I'd blame it on Sharp Edge. Which one were you at? The one in Crafton is the only one that's even (somewhat, nowadays) worth going to, if you're around, that is.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Downtown. I hate that place anymore.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i noticed something very strange from saturday's beer run...

Is the difference only for Belgians or Imports in general? I've always found the costs of beer to be cheaper in NJ and DE than PA due to tax differences.

the other imports i saw were pretty reasonable, but i wasn't looking that hard. maybe there's just a premium for niche imports. i've never even seen a 4 pack of rochefort, not to mention a whole freaking case. so this distributor might have the market cornered for selling this to local bars.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:56 pm

I had a lot of Pliny the Elder Saturday and as always did not disappoint.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MWB on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Kraftster wrote:I'd really like to try a mole beer. I'd have a hard time considering that to be a chili beer in the same way as jalapeno/habanero or even chipotle/ancho beers. I've liked several of the chili beers that I've had, especially when combined with some chocolate flavors, so that mole would be intriguing.

The one I had was intriguing, and definitely not like a chili beer. Much more subtle.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stopper40 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:52 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Southern Tier Warlock. Anybody ever had? And if you find any of it in the Pittsburgh area (case, on tap, single bombers)... let me know. I must have it.

I saw a bunch of bombers at giant eagle yesterday, was wondering about this stuff. Usually don't care much for the pumpkin drink, but this sounds tempting. Also, what's the deal with ST OAT? Has anyone seen it this fall? I don't even see it on their website...

Which Iggle?

Got a couple bottles at Packs and dogs on mt Washington the other day. Blows Pumking away. I think it's my new favorite beer

Which Iggle?
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Picked up the Warlock, keeping my fingers crossed as I do not care for pumpkin beers

And sorry, saw them in Indiana
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BigMcK on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 pm

VanderGhinste Oud Bruin. Flanders red ale. Sour! Tart flavor and smell. Different flavor for me but still good.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Sam Adams Octoberfest tastes like approximately 15 of their other beers.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby BigMcK on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:13 pm

columbia wrote:Sam Adams Octoberfest tastes like approximately 15 of their other beers.

They blend all of their other beers and just slap a new label on the bottle. Tale of a craft brewery that grew too big.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:57 am

Ommegang's mext beer in the Game of Thrones series will be "Fire and Blood Red Ale".

Hopefully someday i'll actually get to try these damn beers.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:21 am

the wicked child wrote:Ommegang's mext beer in the Game of Thrones series will be "Fire and Blood Red Ale".

I saw a bunch of the "take the black stout" last night when I grabbed a warlock. Are they supposed to be good?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:36 am

Iron Throne is rated 85 on BA, 84 for Take The Black Stout.

Quick read of some reviews of the latter seem to suggest it is more of a Stong Dark Ale than a Stout (which means I might actually like it since I'm not a huge stout fan).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:41 am

The Market District Giant Eagle in Shadyside had a few bottles of Southern Tier Warlock this weekend. Not sure if they still have any in stock.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 am

the wicked child wrote:Quick read of some reviews of the latter seem to suggest it is more of a Stong Dark Ale than a Stout (which means I might actually like it since I'm not a huge stout fan).

Not surprising at all considering it's Ommegang.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:21 am

the wicked child wrote:Ommegang's mext beer in the Game of Thrones series will be "Fire and Blood Red Ale".

Ommegang's Scythe and Sickle is a really tasty fall beer. Its on tap at Industry in Lawrenceville.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 pm

anyone ever go to 3 rivers 6 pack in delmont?

http://www.3riversbeer.com/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Helltown on tap. Nice. Looks like a good place.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tomas on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:11 pm

I don't think I have ever had rye beer before, but Cane & Ebel by Two Brothers Brewing Co. I drank in Chicago this weekend was quite good (though Surly Furious is still my personal No. 1 new find this fall).
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Anyone in the PGH area know where I might be able to pick up a 4/6 pack of Victory's Dirt Wolf? Heard some things, want to try...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR