GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Factorial on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 pm

columbia wrote:That's another issue. You can buy beer everywhere here, so cases aren't really an option.
I can drive 3 minutes to the gas station and get a sixer of Boulevard Farmhouse Ale for $10 (aka $40 a case).....but why would I buy four six packs, when it's that close?

Yeah, in states with liberal alcohol sales you probably don't get the same discount by the case as in PA.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BigMcK on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Lagunitas IPA. Fresh. FTW

"People Mumble; Beer Speaks"
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:35 pm

Factorial wrote:
columbia wrote:That's another issue. You can buy beer everywhere here, so cases aren't really an option.
I can drive 3 minutes to the gas station and get a sixer of Boulevard Farmhouse Ale for $10 (aka $40 a case).....but why would I buy four six packs, when it's that close?

Yeah, in states with liberal alcohol sales you probably don't get the same discount by the case as in PA.

In jersey I get big time case discounts. You just need to ask someone to pull them out of stock.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:56 pm

~$65 Ommegang and Unibroue cases are worth it for me. I save a good bit on beer when I get those because I'll otherwise end up getting one or two $10-$15 750s of something each weekend.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penscup on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:16 am

Tried Blue Moon 'Tongue Thai-ed' tonight with some chinese food. No real expectations but was very impressed with it except when I checked BeerAdvocate for reviews was surprised how low it was rated. Belgian style with heavy basil flavors designed to for thai-food supposedly. Maybe my tastebugs are just wacked out.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Shyster wrote:
malkinshair wrote:Picked up a sixpack (cans) of North Country Buck Snort Stout. I'm interested to try it as I haven't had anything from NC yet. I'm having it with chili tonight...mmmmmmm.

What did you think of it? I picked up a case of North Country Firehouse Red. It's a malty amber ale, not too heavy on the hops, but not without their presence either. I like it quite a bit. Being originally from Slippery Rock, I have a very soft spot for North Country, and I really hope they succeed. While they do the occasional imperial of special beer, a lot of what they produce could more properly be considered session beers of around 5% ABV or so, and that's actually a part of the market I think could use more attention.

It was very good. A tiny bit hoppy for a stout...though I'm okay with that. Coffee and dark chocolate up front. I picked up more licorice notes than a 'normal' stout, but nowhere near a Bell's Kalamazoo. Very smooth. I'll definitely pick up some other offerings of NC to give them a shot...starting with the Firehouse Red. :thumb:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:23 pm

What's the IPA crowd think if Victory DirtWolf?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Picked up a case of ten fidy. Looking forward to trying that one. Canned beer? What even is this?

Also got a couple cases of founders imperial stout. Never had that before either.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:39 pm

shmenguin wrote:Picked up a case of ten fidy. Looking forward to trying that one. Canned beer? What even is this?

Also got a couple cases of founders imperial stout. Never had that before either.

I got a 4 pack of ten fidy today. Will probably try tonight.
Cans are the way to go. Keeps the beer fresher and can taste isn't a factor anymore.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:42 pm

I thought ten Fidy was meh.

Had Port Brewing Wipeout IPA. Very good.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Oskar Blues seems to be the only non-pisswater beer company to only do cans. Don't think I've ever seen a bottle of any of their different brews.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm

I meant to mention this last week, but Sam Adams Juniper IPA is unbelievably terrible.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Speaks of cans and DIPAs, I think I've finally tried enough DIPAs that I'll grab a can of heady topper next time I'm at Ho1kB.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 pm

columbia wrote:I meant to mention this last week, but Sam Adams Juniper IPA is unbelievably terrible.

Lol

Juniper anything is horrifying, including gin
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Oskar Blues seems to be the only non-pisswater beer company to only do cans. Don't think I've ever seen a bottle of any of their different brews.

Several micros have started doing cans, and I think the trend will continue. Over the last couple years the number has really gone up.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Kraftster wrote:Speaks of cans and DIPAs, I think I've finally tried enough DIPAs that I'll grab a can of heady topper next time I'm at Ho1kB.

Do it.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 pm

slappybrown wrote:I thought ten Fidy was meh.

Had Port Brewing Wipeout IPA. Very good.

Where'd you get that? Seems like Port might be pushing into Western PA. They brew tons of stuff.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:49 pm

columbia wrote:I meant to mention this last week, but Sam Adams Juniper IPA is unbelievably terrible.

It's really bad. I had it at a party over the holidays. Yuck.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:16 pm

I'm a fan of Ten Fidy. Not a huge Imperial Stout fan, but this is nicely balanced and not over the top. Also, looked sensational in the glass.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:08 pm

slappybrown wrote:

Lol
Juniper anything is horrifying, including gin

Heathen! Gin is awesome.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Kraftster wrote:What's the IPA crowd think if Victory DirtWolf?

:thumb: :thumb:

One of the finest DIPAs out there IMO, and kind of flies under the radar because it is more readily available.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:20 pm

MWB wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Oskar Blues seems to be the only non-pisswater beer company to only do cans. Don't think I've ever seen a bottle of any of their different brews.

Several micros have started doing cans, and I think the trend will continue. Over the last couple years the number has really gone up.

Cans are lighter, cheaper, more durable, and offer beer more protection from light. IIRC, according to an article I read a few years ago in All About Beer Magazine, there were two barriers to canning for microbrewers. First, the canning equipment is more expensive than bottling equipment, so the initial investment is higher. Second, and perhaps the largest barrier, was that the companies that made cans were all used to dealing with big companies like Coke and the like and required absolutely enormous purchases of empty cans. Unlike beer bottles where you just paste a label on, empty cans have to be printed by the manufacturer, and they wanted huge orders before they would print anything. For example, I forget which brewery it was (it might have been Oskar Blues), but the story related how the brewmaster approached a can company and asked them if they could sell him, say, 5,000 printed cans so that he could can a run of beer. The company said their minimum purchase was something like 500,000 empty cans and told him to buzz off. I think we can all assume from the rise of canned craft beer that at least some can manufacturers are now willing to work with smaller order sizes.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 pm

MWB wrote:I'm a fan of Ten Fidy. Not a huge Imperial Stout fan, but this is nicely balanced and not over the top. Also, looked sensational in the glass.

i think i'm more with slappy on this one. it's fine, but nothing special. the hops are bitter verging on overpowering. it killed my pallet for the night. at $3.50 a can, it's a good buy (seeing as b*tches brew from dogfish is pretty much the same beer and is much more expensive), but i don't know if i'd get it again. i'll let the next one warm up a bit, though. the last few sips got a little more complex in a good way. started to taste a little chocolatey.

i'd review the founders i just poured, but i'm still tasting hops from the ten fidy.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:44 pm

I had the opposite experience of you: got chocolate at first, then it slowly just got more and more bitter as I went
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 pm

I'm sitting here, relaxing, listening to music and talking to some friends online, while drinking my honey beer.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR