Big Ben motorcycle in accident

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Big Ben motorcycle in accident

Postby Bowser on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:57 am

according to breaking news from my wife...

on tv.. forget which channel...

Ben's motorcycle was in accident on 10th Street bridge (think that was the one), no word if he was driving, cause of accident, or injuries.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Big Ben motorcycle in accident

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Bowser wrote:according to breaking news from my wife...

on tv.. forget which channel...

Ben's motorcycle was in accident on 10th Street bridge (think that was the one), no word if he was driving, cause of accident, or injuries.

heard this on Junker & Crowe. pittsburgh tribune may have gotten
something on their site.
can't find a link to the news yet...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Link to wtae...

Postby sj? on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:05 pm

sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:12 pm

he's in trauma unit at Mercy, head went through windshield.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:15 pm

Bowser wrote:he's in trauma unit at Mercy, head went through windshield.

Had no helmet on. :roll:
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:17 pm

34456.3 in reply to 34456.2

Steelers: Big Ben Injured In Motorcycle Accident
(KDKA) PITTSBURGH The Pittsburgh Steelers have now confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident on Second Avenue, near the intersection with the 10th Street Bridge.

The accident happened around 11:30am.

According to an eyewitness, he was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car. The witness tells KDKA he said his name was Ben and seemed groggy.

She says he was bleeding from his head.

He has been taken to Mercy Hospital.

At this point, officials are not yet commenting on the victim's condition.
Prayers are with ya big guy.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:19 pm

Car that he struck was an out of state vehichle. They have identified the driver.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:27 pm

What a shame. This article posted to Pittsburgh Live on Friday seems kind of prophetic at this time: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Jesse wrote:Car that he struck was an out of state vehichle. They have identified the driver.

If the car registers to Cleveland, Cincy, or Baltimore, I declare an official conspiracy.

Hope everything is minor in nature and it 'knocks some sense into him' so he starts wearing a helmet. Natural Selection is tough.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fast B on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Jesse wrote:Car that he struck was an out of state vehichle. They have identified the driver.

Apparently she made an illegal left as well, which was why they were both in the intersection.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:49 pm

I still think you should have the choice to wear a helmet or not, but this is why you wear a helmet kids :(
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:53 pm

What a shocker. I totally didn't see this coming. :roll:
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:54 pm

From Junker & Crow just about three minutes ago...

Eyewitness told WTAE that he had a pretty good-sized cut on his head. He may have broken a couple of teeth and might have possibly broken or dislocated his jaw. He was conscious and talking to paramedics, but did seem a bit dazed or disoriented. He apparently hit the car, went over the bike, hit his head on the windshield and then rolled off the car.

Apparently, it was a low-impact and relatively low-speed accident.

First caller to Junker & Crow after Benz reported that Ben was involved goes, "Well, I guess da Stillers are gonna be pretty pi$$ed off, huh? I mean, if dis goes bad for Big Ben, he ain't gonna be able to play kworterback for dem dis year, huh?"

Junker & Crow hung up on him, thank God. This is why I hate yinzers.

I could care less about what this means for the Steelers. I just hope the guy is OK.
Last edited by Stoosh on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:55 pm

Fast B wrote:

Apparently she made an illegal left as well, which was why they were both in the intersection.

I'll bet she was on a #$!#@$ $#%#%^# cell phone too.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:56 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I still think you should have the choice to wear a helmet or not, but this is why you wear a helmet kids :(

No, this is why he should not be riding a bike period. Stupid, stupid, stupid risk when you consider the reality of how many bikers are killed or severely injured by cars that are at total fault.

He can ride all he wants after he is retired, at which point he will still be in his 30's.

How amazing is it that this has been a story last year already, and now this happens.....the helmet thing is ridiculous, because his helmet will not protect the rest of his body when something like this happens.

Bad drivers do NOT see bikes, and bikers die through no fault of their own.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jesse on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:57 pm

Fast B wrote:

That means he had the green light on the 10th st bridge, and she veered left to merge illegally.

According to eyewitness reports there were no skid marks at the scene. I hope he didn't hit the car full speed.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Diddy on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:57 pm

jmh470 wrote:What a shocker. I totally didn't see this coming. :roll:

Neither did Ben.
Diddy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:00 pm

Diddy wrote:
jmh470 wrote:What a shocker. I totally didn't see this coming. :roll:

Neither did Ben.

Obviously Terry Bradshaw did........
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:00 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:I still think you should have the choice to wear a helmet or not, but this is why you wear a helmet kids :(

No, this is why he should not be riding a bike period. Stupid, stupid, stupid risk when you consider the reality of how many bikers are killed or severely injured by cars that are at total fault.

He can ride all he wants after he is retired, at which point he will still be in his 30's.

How amazing is it that this has been a story last year already, and now this happens.....the helmet thing is ridiculous, because his helmet will not protect the rest of his body when something like this happens.

I will agree that a man in his position should be extra careful not to take unneccessary risks like riding a motorcycle. But ultimately, you cannot keep a man from himself.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:08 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

I will agree that a man in his position should be extra careful not to take unneccessary risks like riding a motorcycle. But ultimately, you cannot keep a man from himself.

No, he should realize that he is a top-flight quarterback coming off a Superbowl win in only his 2nd season and has an extremely bright future ahead yeat. Stupid things like riding a bike downtown, without a helmet too boot, is just plain dumb as rock. Just don't do it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:11 pm

Any truth to the rumor that the woman was Carson palmer's mom? :D
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:14 pm

Pitts wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

No, he should realize that he is a top-flight quarterback coming off a Superbowl win in only his 2nd season and has an extremely bright future ahead yeat. Stupid things like riding a bike downtown, without a helmet too boot, is just plain dumb as rock. Just don't do it.

Yes, that is pretty much what I just said.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Stoosh wrote:From Junker & Crow just about three minutes ago...

Eyewitness told WTAE that he had a pretty good-sized cut on his head. He may have broken a couple of teeth and might have possibly broken or dislocated his jaw. He was conscious and talking to paramedics, but did seem a bit dazed or disoriented. He apparently hit the car, went over the bike, hit his head on the windshield and then rolled off the car.

Apparently, it was a low-impact and relatively low-speed accident.

First caller to Junker & Crow after Benz reported that Ben was involved goes, "Well, I guess da Stillers are gonna be pretty pi$$ed off, huh? I mean, if dis goes bad for Big Ben, he ain't gonna be able to play kworterback for dem dis year, huh?"

Junker & Crow hung up on him, thank God. This is why I hate yinzers.

I could care less about what this means for the Steelers. I just hope the guy is OK.

certainly not defending this pill, but that conversation could take place
in anywhere usa. don't belive pittsburgh has cornered the market
on stupidity.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:20 pm

Stoosh wrote:Apparently, it was a low-impact and relatively low-speed accident.

From the pictures I've seen, if that cracked and indented windshield was indeed caused by his head hitting it, this was *far* from low-impact...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Stoosh wrote:Apparently, it was a low-impact and relatively low-speed accident.

From the pictures I've seen, if that cracked and indented windshield was indeed caused by his head hitting it, this was *far* from low-impact...

Windsheilds are designed to do that with minimal force.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR