Big Ben motorcycle in accident

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:04 pm

This was all Rendell's fault. He sent that driver to hit Ben.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:11 pm

I once saw a video of a 30 mph crash. the person in the back seat had no seatbelt and had such an impact that they killed the driver.

30 mph might be considered low impact, compared to Dany Heatly, but it can still kill you.

If this was 25-30 mph and he wasn't wearing a helmet, it's a small miracle that he's still alive.

My cousin is a paramedic up in the northwestern PA area and he's also a motorcycle enthusiast (Harleys, mostly). He's "cleaned up" more than a few motorcycle accidents in his day. He said if you're riding a bike in excess of 30 mph without a helmet, you can pretty much kiss your *** goodbye if you wreck. Even above 30 mph, a helmet may not help much, depending on how you land.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:22 pm

ville5 wrote:
pfim wrote:
Tocchet wrote:And the award for dumbest post goes to.....

Anyone that rides a motorcycle without a helmet deserves to be a drooling vegetable sitting in the corner.

Jim! :roll:

Well, I agree with Jim to a point. I hope he recovers, but it's tough to feel sorry for someone who does something so stupid.

Especially someone who does something that stupid with that much at risk.

Yeah, his LIFE, whether that is to be lived out in a trailer park or a mansion. The helmet thing has nothing to do with whether he was an NFL quarterback.

Riding the bike at all as an NFL QB is just stupid, with a helmet.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Spuddy on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:23 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:From the Trib, Ben's injuries are as follows:

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

I don't like the sound of that knee thing.

Interestingly, Yahoo Sports isn't mentioning anything about his knees.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... p&type=lgn
Spuddy

It's all over the internet now...

Postby sj? on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:52 pm

Haven't benn able to get any of the local sites for about an hour or so ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13279232/
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: It's all over the internet now...

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:17 pm

Jerome Bettis wrote:First, it's good to see he's not in bad shape, as a friend, and to make sure he's OK. Another good thing is it is minor enough that it shouldn't affect him on the field this fall.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06163/697655-66.stm
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tocchet on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:27 pm

I was only posting what was being broadcast on the news reports during my lunch hour, and those were from reports coming from the hospital about an hour or so after it happened when details were still being put together.

So what I posted were the media's words, not mine, Scooter.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, "Scooter" -- my remark was aimed at the media and not you.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:01 pm

Don't get your panties in a bunch, "Scooter" -- my remark was aimed at the media and not you.

My bad....couldn't tell from the way the post was written.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tocchet on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:17 pm

No worries at all -- based on the pictures, I can't believe they'd label it a low-impact accident.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:50 pm

Stoosh wrote:First caller to Junker & Crow after Benz reported that Ben was involved goes, "Well, I guess da Stillers are gonna be pretty pi$$ed off, huh? I mean, if dis goes bad for Big Ben, he ain't gonna be able to play kworterback for dem dis year, huh?"

Junker & Crow hung up on him, thank God. This is why I hate yinzers.

They also had a guy call up and try to compare today to 9/11, if you can believe that.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:01 pm

After burying enough friends on bikes, one that was a motorcycle safety instructor that lost to a deer, and being first on the scene for several ugly crashes, I can honestly say it made me quit riding. Helmets or not, riding on public roads is a high risk. I've seen peoples legs removed just from laying one down on the asphalt. Todays bikes are just way to powerful for most riders too.

There was a much worse crash here yesterday on Rte 220 near Williamsport, high speed bike, 24 year old hits a van and literally cuts the van in half. All 4 people in the van dead, biker dead on impact. Biker was riding with a group and the troopers are still questioning them as too why he was going so fast.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:36 pm

netwolf wrote:They also had a guy call up and try to compare today to 9/11, if you can believe that.

Hey, maybe he wasn't talking about 9/11/01. Perhaps he had a friend get in a motorcycle wreck on 9/11/87. One can never tell. :lol:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:06 pm

In oakland, some college kids are on Bates street saying "Honk for Ben." and we're getting a lot of honks!

Crazy college kids.
Peter

Postby Stoosh on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:55 pm

No worries at all -- based on the pictures, I can't believe they'd label it a low-impact accident.

I thought the same thing when I saw the close-up pictures. I was listening to Jim Colony on ESPN Gamenight (ESPN Radio 1250 after Madden) and he asked anyone who had experience on bikes to call in and discuss the crash. The general consensus was that he's very fortunate to be alive right now, so this was much worse than originally reported. A lot of them said he was lucky he hit the car first because if he would've gone over the car and hit the pavement directly, it probably would've killed him.

Quite honestly, most of the initial reports on the radio - including Benz's initial report - made it sound relatively minor. In fact, one of the early reports said they thought he was waiting at a red light to turn left and when the light changed and he went to make the turn, the car accidentally cut in front of him. That's why I made it a point to post the assumption that it was a low-impact crash. Most of the reports through the first hour made it sound like nothing more than a fender bender.

I had no idea it was that bad until they confirmed reports of his injuries and started to get the eyewitness accounts of the accident sorted out.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Stoosh wrote:
I once saw a video of a 30 mph crash. the person in the back seat had no seatbelt and had such an impact that they killed the driver.

30 mph might be considered low impact, compared to Dany Heatly, but it can still kill you.

If this was 25-30 mph and he wasn't wearing a helmet, it's a small miracle that he's still alive.

My cousin is a paramedic up in the northwestern PA area and he's also a motorcycle enthusiast (Harleys, mostly). He's "cleaned up" more than a few motorcycle accidents in his day. He said if you're riding a bike in excess of 30 mph without a helmet, you can pretty much kiss your *** goodbye if you wreck. Even above 30 mph, a helmet may not help much, depending on how you land.

Well just think about it. What's the fastest you can sprint? probably most people can't sprint more than 15 miles an hour. So figure what would happen to you if you were in an all out sprint and ran right into a brick wall? Now double the force of that impact and you get the force of getting hit at 30 MPH.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:09 pm

Stoosh wrote:

I thought the same thing when I saw the close-up pictures. I was listening to Jim Colony on ESPN Gamenight (ESPN Radio 1250 after Madden) and he asked anyone who had experience on bikes to call in and discuss the crash. The general consensus was that he's very fortunate to be alive right now, so this was much worse than originally reported. A lot of them said he was lucky he hit the car first because if he would've gone over the car and hit the pavement directly, it probably would've killed him.

Quite honestly, most of the initial reports on the radio - including Benz's initial report - made it sound relatively minor. In fact, one of the early reports said they thought he was waiting at a red light to turn left and when the light changed and he went to make the turn, the car accidentally cut in front of him. That's why I made it a point to post the assumption that it was a low-impact crash. Most of the reports through the first hour made it sound like nothing more than a fender bender.

I had no idea it was that bad until they confirmed reports of his injuries and started to get the eyewitness accounts of the accident sorted out.

Keep in mind that this IS what happens when you aren't going that fast and hit something, it doesn't take excessive force to A) wreck a motorcycle and B) damage a car, if anayone wants to test drop a 12 lb bowling ball onto your windsheild and see what happens. Imagine if Ben was out in the boonies at dusk and didn't have his headlights one and was going 50 mph and a car ran a stop sign because they didn't see him coming and he would have hit that?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 25+66+22=#1 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:19 am

2 observations. #1 while watching WPXI during my lunchbreak around noon. I actually heard their anchor say "The Steelers are being guarded with the injury details they release. As is usual practice because they do not want other teams around the league to know about his injuries." What the *&% !!! This was around the time when none of us even knew if the guy was gonna live or die. And this is the explanation that they gave for not knowing the details. #2 Someone famous like Ben (especially in Yinzer Town) should wear a helmet. Because if the buffoons in this city happen to recognize him. They will forget every driving rule in the book in their attempt to rubberneck. Thus making any roadway around him very,very dangerous. That doesn't seem to be the case here, but I'm suprised it wasn't.
25+66+22=#1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:39 am

Anyone that rides a motorcycle without a helmet deserves to be a drooling vegetable sitting in the corner.

It's not a dumb post, and it is very honest. Just because it isn't "illegal" doesn't mean you should do it. If you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you deserve what you get.

When I first heard of the accident I was about as conscenced as I get for someone I do not know... the SECOND I learned that he was not wearing a helmet... I no longer really cared.

No helmet = MORON

Ever notice that the bikers that look like they could eat glass and kick the crud out of an entire bar full of people WEAR a helmet? It's usually the suit-biker or the wanna-be that goes without. "Look at me... I'm tough!" daaarrrrrr...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:38 am

Jim wrote:

It's not a dumb post, and it is very honest. Just because it isn't "illegal" doesn't mean you should do it. If you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you deserve what you get.

When I first heard of the accident I was about as conscenced as I get for someone I do not know... the SECOND I learned that he was not wearing a helmet... I no longer really cared.

No helmet = MORON

Ever notice that the bikers that look like they could eat glass and kick the crud out of an entire bar full of people WEAR a helmet? It's usually the suit-biker or the wanna-be that goes without. "Look at me... I'm tough!" daaarrrrrr...

Honestly, the helmet that he does wear sometimes would not have prevented the accident, would not have saved his nose, jaw or teeth and he still would have hurt his knees. The only thing it would have prevented was the laceration to his head and help prevent any concussion he had, if he had one even.

A slightly different angle could have made it a lot worse where a helmet would have made a huge difference. But this conversation should really be framed around him riding a motorcylce PERIOD regardless if he's wearing a helmet or not.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

big Ben on msnbc

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:55 am

seeing Gary Busey discussing Ben Roethlisberger's accident
totally surreal.

the coverage and way people are expressing their support~surreal.
I swear I saw people setting up a grill outside of Mercy and setting
out chairs to wait for Ben...
One fan drove from Youngstown; would I drive to Cole Harbour for
Sid...maybe.
:wink:

Many , many debates about what Ben owes his teammates; I don't know...is it just the QB who owes his team?
What about Joey Porter and his random shooting? What about a teammate eating himself out of shape...that lets his team down.
Giving talk shows lots of fodder.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:42 am

The big question is now this: now the the identity of the driver was released on the news last night in addition to interviewing her next-door neighbor, how long before some stupid, ignorant yahoo does something her property, car or something else?

No Tommy Gun comments. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tomas on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:06 pm

Looks like he might not even owned a license for motorcycles

http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_164115654.html

Come on, Meat. Show me that million dollar arm. 'Cause I got, oh, I got a pretty good idea about that five-cent head of yours. :roll:
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby spoon on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:26 pm

Who wants a Big Ben motorcycle helmet?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ben-Roethlisberger- ... 8827899546
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Roethlisberger's injuries only on face, should be ready for opener
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The injuries to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger were confined to his face and the Steelers are confident he should heal and be ready to play in the season opener Sept. 7 against the Miami Dolphins, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

Roethlisberger has a broken jaw, a broken nose and some injuries to his teeth but otherwise came through his motorcycle accident on Monday with nothing else but some scrapes and bruises. Published reports that detailed injuries to his knees and shoulders are untrue, sources said.

One source said that the surgery on Roethlisberger's face took so long -- seven hours -- in order to assist in a faster recovery time. Roethlisberger also should be ready to participate in training camp, although he may not play in the first preseason game Aug. 12 in Arizona.

The quarterback had seven hours of surgery yesterday afternoon and evening to repair facial fractures caused when his motorcycle struck a car on Second Avenue at the 10th Street Bridge.

After the surgery, doctors said the facial fractures were successfully repaired but they would not elaborate. They did say that there appear to be no brain, spine, chest or abdomen injuries.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby Peter on Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:05 pm

This is an interesting twist. We've all been saying that it's legal to not wear a helmet, but if he didn't have a licence and only a permit, then he should've had one.

I wonder if he had safe auto.
Peter

PreviousNext

Return to NHR