Pirates vs Twins (great young pitching)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pirates vs Twins (great young pitching)

Postby Bowser on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:23 pm

Pirates leading 2-0

Ian Snell matching Francisco Liriano so far and has the lead through 5.

Jack Wilson with a great at-bat fouling off 4-5 good pitches leading to a 2-run HR.

Other than that.... this is all Snell and Liriano.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bowser on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:45 pm

so much for that.

Tracy leaves Snell in for 2 batters too many and now Bucs down 3-2 in 7th.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ron` on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:02 pm

Hey at least they got me watching again. :) I stumbled accross a post gazette article talking about restoring the forbes field monument. That made me feel old to know it closed in 71. I remember going to games there before three rivers.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:07 pm

Eric do you think they win that last game if Sanchez starts at third? I do.
Last edited by Ron` on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Goalie on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:08 pm

Bowser wrote:so much for that.

Tracy leaves Snell in for 2 batters too many and now Bucs down 3-2 in 7th.

The thing about it is Snell needs the experience of trying to finish and win games like this. He was ahead of most of the batters in that inning and was burned mostly while having two strikes against the hitter. Snell was still throwing hard and pitching fine, he just needs to take the next step of pitching out of a tough spot in the later innings, he will learn from this.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:13 am

Ron - Joe Randa, Jeromy Burnitz and Craig Wilson should never see the light of day as starters in Pittsburgh. They don't have a future beyond this season in Pittsburgh and they have more than capable replacements.

Freddy Sanchez, Nate McLouth, and Jose Bautista should be playing everyday, learning on the job, and gaining experience for the future, when it matters.

This season is lost when it comes to finishing with a winning record or making the playoffs but it doesn't have to be lost with developing your talent.

I think Randa is a solid veteran type that will accept his position as a role player behind Sanchez and take those pinch-hit at-bats as a positive way to help this team grow and win.

Can't say the same of Wilson and Burnitz. They're horrible, horrible in right-field. Strikeout way too much, leave too many runners on base, and not enough contact with their feeble HR totals.

And let me say it now, when Kip Wells has shown he's healthy and pitching well in the majors, the David Littlefield better get a solid major league talent in return. I don't care if its a young player already in the majors or a legit prospect in AAA or AA.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ron` on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:42 am

I agree on Randa, C. Wilson and Burnitz. Though I'm not ready to give up on McLouth, I am not impressed. I also agree on Freddy Sanchez and Jose Bautista. Think you just forgot about Jose Castillo but he's part of that core too.

Here's my core everyday guys I'd like to see finish the season:

Sanchez -3b
Castillo -2b
Wilson - short
Casey - 1b
Paulino - C
Bay - LF
Bautista -CF

Can McLouth play right field? IF so start him there as much as possible.
I actually feel the core of this team has a decent future as the pitching becomes respectable.

Rest of the non-pitching team is just depth or trade bait as far as I'm concerned. With the depth at C and 3b those are the ones that I would likely trade 1st, ie. Randa and Cota or Doumitt. I'm not sure whos in the minors to play RF or 1b, but if there is a good prospect there then move C. Wilson and Burnitz if you can.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR