Check my math for the US World Cup. (US-Italy spoiler alert)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby pfim on Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:52 pm

Wow, even if you don't put Johnson in, at least sub Reyna.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rob UK Pen on Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:52 pm

Oh, well shows how much I know.

A well deserved point in a bizarre game. Poor officiating, typical Italian tactics, but some great spirit from the US.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:12 pm

Now we have to cheer for these Italian thug drama queens versus Czech. Ghana also looked great on the attack today so winning that match is no easy task. We haven't scored a goal. It is amazing we can still advance to the next stage.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:13 pm

I'm just glad the Italian match-fixing scandal hasn't hit the World Cup yet...

"Jorge Larrionda the 33-year old Uruguayan referee has been suspended for 6 months by the Uruguayan FA for unexplained 'irregularities' only two days after his appointent to the FIFA list and may not now take up his whistle [during the 2002 World Cup]."

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/ ... o/wco.html
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rob UK Pen on Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:30 pm

The Times describes Larrionda as being "hyper-correct", but the Italians get a much less polite write up.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 95,00.html
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:13 pm

This match was a **** disgrace. I hate to cry foul about the officiating, but that was worse than any of the Fraser/Koharski sideshows we saw this year. I'm amazed we were even able to get a point of that, but at least the guys were able to resemble a proper WC team today.

And a random question, since I was drinking during the whole thing: was the offside call on Mcbride's no-goal legit? I couldn't tell if the player touched the ball or not, but it's a pity we lost such a golden chance.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Fast B wrote:
And a random question, since I was drinking during the whole thing: was the offside call on Mcbride's no-goal legit? I couldn't tell if the player touched the ball or not, but it's a pity we lost such a golden chance.

It was a judgment call. McBride didn't touch it, but the ref can still whistle offside if he thinks the player "interfered" with play. I seem to remember the ref letting things like that go b/c the player never touched the ball, but I think the ref got it right since the player was in the path of the shot (although he tried to move out of the way). Buffon probably makes that save otherwise, since he's pretty good generally. It was a tough break.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fast B on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:35 pm

Rocco wrote:It was a judgment call. McBride didn't touch it, but the ref can still whistle offside if he thinks the player "interfered" with play. I seem to remember the ref letting things like that go b/c the player never touched the ball, but I think the ref got it right since the player was in the path of the shot (although he tried to move out of the way). Buffon probably makes that save otherwise, since he's pretty good generally. It was a tough break.

Ah, okay. Like I said, I was a few beers in by that point, and nobody around me could tell even after watching the replay.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to NHR