FIFA World Cup: ENG - SWE (SPOILER)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

FIFA World Cup: ENG - SWE (SPOILER)

Postby MWW on Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:10 pm

Ouch, the Owen injury looked painful !

Another blow to Englands quest for the cup.
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rob UK Pen on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:09 pm

The official word is that he's just twisted it!

Looked more like a tournament ending injury to me.

However Cole's goal has to be contender for goal of the World Cup. :D
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:53 pm

Nah, Cambiasso against Serbia. :)
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Three games...and still no sight of Walcott, despite Sven claiming he was ready to play at this level. Why can't Sven admit that he's just giving England the bird here and mailing it in now? And how exactly did Michael Carrick go from "starting holding midfielder" to "can't get in a game" in the span of 3 weeks? I hope one day I can half-ass a job as well as Sven has done here.

BTW, Lampard either shoots a mile high, or scuffs it to the keeper every time. If you're going to drop either of Lampard or Gerrard, it should be clear who should be dropped. However, this is Sven we're dealing with, so who knows. He could go 4-5-1 with Rooney sulking up front and use Lampard and Gerrard with Hargreaves.

If Owen is out (which he may be), Sven's going to have to be inventive. Downing and Hargreaves as strikers? This was another less than inspiring performace (again, you English may have better words for their performance today than I do). They're bound to play their best against Ecuador, if only because I can't see them playing any worse than they are now.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rob UK Pen on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:32 pm

Gaucho wrote:Nah, Cambiasso against Serbia. :)

That would be my other choice so far.

A truly wonderful team effort versus a great individual effort.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:36 pm

I had the good fortune to be at the the Argentina-Serbia game. Boy, what a performance. I was hoping for some magic by Riquelme and a few minutes of Messi. I got an outstanding game by Riquelme and wonderful 15 minutes by Messi. I was sitting among Argentinan fans, which was the icing on the cake. Just fantastic.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rob UK Pen on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:48 pm

Rocco wrote:Three games...and still no sight of Walcott, despite Sven claiming he was ready to play at this level. Why can't Sven admit that he's just giving England the bird here and mailing it in now? And how exactly did Michael Carrick go from "starting holding midfielder" to "can't get in a game" in the span of 3 weeks? I hope one day I can half-ass a job as well as Sven has done here.

BTW, Lampard either shoots a mile high, or scuffs it to the keeper every time. If you're going to drop either of Lampard or Gerrard, it should be clear who should be dropped. However, this is Sven we're dealing with, so who knows. He could go 4-5-1 with Rooney sulking up front and use Lampard and Gerrard with Hargreaves.

If Owen is out (which he may be), Sven's going to have to be inventive. Downing and Hargreaves as strikers? This was another less than inspiring performace (again, you English may have better words for their performance today than I do). They're bound to play their best against Ecuador, if only because I can't see them playing any worse than they are now.

Sven inventive? Nah. However circumstances may now force his hand a little. Granted we were poor in parts tonight, however England v Sweden is always a typically "English" game and is rarely overflowing with open, skillful play. To be honest I thought we played some of best football of the tournament tonight - not that that says much!

As Rooney (hopefully) gets fitter and stronger, I see him sharing the strikers role with Crouch - though I reckon Crouch's role will diminish as (if) we get to the business end of things.

For me it should be 4-5-1, with Lennon playing (very) wide right, Cole on the left, Gerrard, Hargreaves & Beckam in the central role and Rooney up front. That is if Owen is done, which seems likely. I still struggle to see how Lampard & Gerrard Sven can keep playing in the same team. Hats of the Hargreaves though, I thought he did his job well tonight and hopefully silenced some of the boo-boys back home.

The trouble is now that as we progress in the tournament we as a nation will become blind to all Sven's and the team's failings, that is until we lose. :evil:
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rob UK Pen on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Gaucho wrote:I had the good fortune to be at the the Argentina-Serbia game. Boy, what a performance. I was hoping for some magic by Riquelme and a few minutes of Messi. I got an outstanding game by Riquelme and wonderful 15 minutes by Messi. I was sitting among Argentinan fans, which was the icing on the cake. Just fantastic.

I'm jealous! Have you got tickets to anymore games?

I think that is probably my favourite game so far. Quite an awesome, but also scary performance from Argentina. I'm just hoping that Serbia made them look good, or else we all might as well pack up and go home now.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWW on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:36 am

Michael Owen is out of the World Cup for sure.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 78,00.html

Owen injured his knee during the first minute of England's 2-2 draw against Sweden in Cologne and flew back to the team hotel in Baden-Baden ahead of an MRI scan at the Max Grundig hospital at Buhlertal.

The fear is that it is serious ligament damage and Sky Sports News reported that the 25-year-old would be out of action for five months.

Let´s hope for a speedy recovery.

MWW
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BritishPenguin on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:29 am

With Owen out, England have to solely rely on a not entirely 100% Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch. Oh dear...I think Sven knows Defoe and Bent should have made the 23.

I think England may scrape through against Ecuador, who rested their big names yesterday. Players such as Kaviedes, Delgado and de la Cruz have flopped, in the case of the first two spectacularly, in the English Premiership and will be looking to wreak revenge. England haven't exactly looked inspiring, it's like watching a really average Premiership team. Something has to be done.
BritishPenguin

Postby Rob UK Pen on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:43 pm

BritishPenguin wrote:.....England haven't exactly looked inspiring, it's like watching a really average Premiership team. Something has to be done.

Surely your not telling us that you don't 'believe'......?

Next you'll be telling us you've not got St George's window flags hanging off your car. :wink:
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR