The Kip Wells Experience is Back In Pittsburgh...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Kip Wells Experience is Back In Pittsburgh...

Postby Stoosh on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:10 pm

...and it's like he never left!

This is what we've waited three-plus months for.

Against the ROYALS...

3-1/3 innings pitched.
80 pitches thrown. 41 of them were strikes.
5 hits allowed.
5 walks.
6 runs, all earned.
...oh yeah,...two strikeouts.

An ERA of 16.40.

Gorzellany can't get here quick enough.

I'm starting to lose faith in Dave Littlefield like I lost faith in Craig Patrick.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:12 pm

And how in the blue hell is Ryan Vogelsong pitching in the major leagues????

Vogelsong's final line for tonight...

One inning pitched.
One hit allowed.
Two runs allowed, both earned.
THREE walks.
One strikeout.
He threw 28 pitches and faced eight batters.

Yes, the Kansas City Royals almost batted around on Ryan F'ing Vogelsong.

This guy shouldn't even have a job pitching in the Frontier League, let alone the major leagues.

Un-friggin-believable. I can't wait to hear Jim Tracy ramble on for ten minutes after this one.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fast B on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:05 am

So wait...isn't Santos on the DL right now? Doesn't that mean we have Oliver Perez *and* Kip Wells on the same "major-league" rotation? Am I the only one who breaks in to a cold sweat upon pondering this?

Also...

Stoosh wrote:I'm starting to lose faith in Dave Littlefield like I lost faith in Craig Patrick.

What did Littlefield ever do to earn your faith? Bring us several more losing seasons in the proud Bonifay tradition? Hell, I could have done that, and for mere pennies on the dollar.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:13 am

Before you could have said "at least Littlefield didn't sign Derek Bell"... but he signed the white Derek Bell this year... Jeremy Burnitz. 6 million dollars to strike out/pop up every at bat, and look completely lost in the field. Hell, we might as well have kept Tike Redman, he was cheaper.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:14 pm

What did Littlefield ever do to earn your faith?

Maybe not so much as earn my faith. Let's just say I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while for several reasons.

1. He was a disciple of Dave Dombrowski. DD, to me, is one of the better front office guys in the majors. He worked for Dombrowski from November of 1998 through the time he got hired by the Pirates, so he had at least a little bit of a hand in rebuilding that Marlins club into the team that eventually won the Series in 2003.

2. He inherited an absolute disaster of a major-league club. The team was handcuffed by a slew of awful deals handed out by Bonifay to the likes of Kevin Young, Pat Meares, Derek Bell, Kris Benson and Jason Kendall, among others. It was bound to take him at least two years to clean up that mess. The fact that he was able to move Kendall for any sort of living, breathing human being was a small miracle. I could be wrong on this, but I believe last year was the first season the club was finally out from under any obligation on all of those Bonifay deals.

3. The minor league system was a mess. Not as big a mess as the big club was, but it wasn't much better. I think DL gets a little bit of a bum rap here. DL detractors love to point out that it was not DL but Bonifay that drafted the likes of Duke, Snell, Burnett and Bautista (among others). That may be true, but those players developed under Littlefield. The minor league system isn't without its faults - almost every team from AA down has too many players who are considered too old for their respective levels. But most of the guys who HAVE developed and recently made it to the big club under Littlefield have formed the foundation for what COULD be a promising future.

4. I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt on the A-Ram deal. The deal was mandated by ownership and as we saw with the Jagr and Kovalev deals, when your trading partners KNOW you have to deal a player because you can't afford to keep him, there's NO WAY they're giving up anything of value. People say, "Well, he could've gotten more for Ramirez..." I doubt he could have. Chicago knew the score heading into those trade talks. People forget this, too...it wasn't supposed to be A-Ram heading out the door. It was supposed to be Benson.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/200 ... 0728p4.asp

Benson's health problems derailed interest in him heading into the summer of 2003, and the club was forced to deal Ramirez - one of their other big-ticket players.

Littlefield has certainly made more than his share of personnel evaluation errors and we've heard about them all hundreds of times. No sense in rehashing them.

But this is why I originally gave him the benefit of the doubt and stressed patience with his regime. My patience is running out. It's QUICKLY getting to the point where he's going to make a major deal to shake this thing up and salvage his career with the Pirates.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:08 pm

I'm all for bashing a guy, but this was his first start this season after having arm surgery. What exactly were you expecting here?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby spoon on Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:46 pm

his first MLB start, he was throwing just fine in the minors. send'm to 'toona!
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:06 pm

I'm all for bashing a guy, but this was his first start this season after having arm surgery. What exactly were you expecting here?

I acknowledged that when I was watching the game last night and failed to do so in my post. But I really would've liked it if he would've hit the plate a little bit more. 80 pitches and he had an almost dead-even split between balls and strikes. He looked to be all over the place last night.

I'm not going to overreact to his outing last night and say get rid of him like I heard some people saying this morning when I was coming in to work (on Fox 970). But as Spoon said, given the way he was pitching in his rehab assignments, I was hoping he'd show a little bit better command.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:14 pm

Rocco wrote:I'm all for bashing a guy, but this was his first start this season after having arm surgery. What exactly were you expecting here?

This is exactly what I was expecting. Just because he's coming back from an injury is no reason to think he'll be any different pitcher than he has been the last 2 years. Well, unless the surgery was to implant a brain and heart of the same quality as his arm :lol: .
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to NHR