What's a good gun for home defense?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What's a good gun for home defense?

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby larry on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:28 pm

although the guy wasn't much of a quarterback, tommy gun, I've heard, is in the insurance business, so perhaps he'd be good with this stuff...
larry
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:29 pm

larry wrote:although the guy wasn't much of a quarterback, tommy gun, I've heard, is in the insurance business, so perhaps he'd be good with this stuff...

Yeah, but who needs having your neighbors constantly yelling at you to put in the backup?
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby larry on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:30 pm

Three Stars wrote:
larry wrote:although the guy wasn't much of a quarterback, tommy gun, I've heard, is in the insurance business, so perhaps he'd be good with this stuff...

Yeah, but who needs having your neighbors constantly yelling at you to put in the backup?

it's like a built in neighborhood watch, man...what with them all out of the house heckling you all the time.
larry
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Corvidae wrote:So true. I wish I had the cash. But then again, I'd also like S&Ws 642. I hear it's great for carrying (home defense would not be it's strong point). I think Glocks are fantastic, but even the most compact one is bulkier than I'd like. I don't want to be one of those guys who owns more guns than he knows what to do with (no offense to anyone who's one of those guys [or gals {dangy?}]), but someday I must have a revolver.

Come to the dark side… Give in to your desires… Allow your resistance to further purchases to fade away… When you find yourself thinking that you need to buy a gun you already own—but in a different barrel length—you will know you are one of us. Now, go forth and purchase magazines for guns that you don’t own just because they’re on sale, and hey, you’re going to buy one of those sooner or later anyway. :P

(personally guilty on both, BTW)
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:02 pm

I would say a short barrel, bo stock shotgun. Possibly even a 20 guage as opposed to a 12 guage. the short barrel and no stock will allow for easier use in the confinds of a house.

Second would be a revolver, but not a .357 or bigger. You do not want the round to miss the target, go through the wall, and hit a family member in the other room. I suggest a revolver over a semiauto pistol due to ease of use and no jams.

The shot gun won't shoot through walls so you do not have to worry about other people. A 20 guage, maybe even a 410, is a lot less powerful than a 12, but easier to control. A 12 guage has A LOT of kick is is a lot of overkill for the purpose at hand.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 pm

filled with acid
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stopper40 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:57 pm

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m*********** in the room, accept no substitutes.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:08 pm

stopper40 wrote:Image

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m*********** in the room, accept no substitutes.

That looks familar... er... I mean...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Jim wrote:I would say a short barrel, bo stock shotgun. Possibly even a 20 guage as opposed to a 12 guage. the short barrel and no stock will allow for easier use in the confinds of a house.

Second would be a revolver, but not a .357 or bigger. You do not want the round to miss the target, go through the wall, and hit a family member in the other room. I suggest a revolver over a semiauto pistol due to ease of use and no jams.

The shot gun won't shoot through walls so you do not have to worry about other people. A 20 guage, maybe even a 410, is a lot less powerful than a 12, but easier to control. A 12 guage has A LOT of kick is is a lot of overkill for the purpose at hand.

Not if you just use bird shot.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:38 am

Not if yuou use bird shot what? Kinck? A 12 guage has more kick than Joe-average would be able to handle in the middle of the night while scared of of their minds because someone broke in... no matter what it is loaded with.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Psychlone on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 am

I've shot a 12 gauge before I think I can handle the recoil, how about muzzle flash in the dark though would that be an issue?
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:58 am

Psychlone wrote:I've shot a 12 gauge before I think I can handle the recoil, how about muzzle flash in the dark though would that be an issue?

The issue is not can you handle it at the range... the issue is can you (or wife, etc) handle it in the house, in the dark, 1/2 asleep, etc...

You do not need to bring down hellfire and brinstone on an intruder. You just want to end the situation.

Let the inbred weirdos bring 44 mags and drum fed auto shotguns to the table. Then when they shoot their little inbred kids through the wall because they wen't off full auto because they "have the right to defent" themselves... it's just less trash to deal with in the future. A house gun is not a place that you need, or want, overkill.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensBeerGeek on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:I've never needed more than one of these:

Why is this slippery slope always brought up as an argument against home defense?

Honestly, I like the idea of a good 12 gauge shotgun (there isn't a much more intimidating sound than the clack-clack of a pump action, and the best weapon is one you don't have to fire). Whichever one you select, though, make sure that you get to know it REALLY well; fire it regularly and clean it regularly. As Jim said, when you need it it will be dark and you'll be scared and half-asleep...hardly the time to read the owners' manual and figure out where the safety is.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:51 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:I've never needed more than one of these:

Why is this slippery slope always brought up as an argument against home defense?

Sorry if that's how it came across; I honestly just wanted to post a shot of an RPG. I don't have any issues with gun ownership aside from some background checking. No argument was being made.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Psychlone wrote:I've shot a 12 gauge before I think I can handle the recoil, how about muzzle flash in the dark though would that be an issue?

I agree that 20 gauge is a reasonable choice for home defense, especially if the wife might ever need to use it. It gives up little at home defense ranges and has reduced recoil. For 12 gauge, many companies make reduced-recoil loads. I'd look at one of them for defense. In a pump gun there are no worries about a reduced load not cycling the action, and even with less power it still will have more than enough oomph for the job. Many ammo companies also make shotgun shells specifically designed for personal defense and/or law enforcement. Those loads most likely have flash suppressants mixed in with the powder.

I'd ask the salesmen at your local gun store. I'm sure they get this question all the time and can steer you to the right products.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensBeerGeek on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:38 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:Sorry if that's how it came across; I honestly just wanted to post a shot of an RPG. I don't have any issues with gun ownership aside from some background checking. No argument was being made.

I apologize then that I misinterpreted your intent.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:48 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote: As Jim said, when you need it it will be dark and you'll be scared and half-asleep...hardly the time to read the owners' manual and figure out where the safety is.

That is why you go with a revolver... WHAT safety? The safety on a revolver is "Don't pull the trigger"
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

25+66+22=#1 wrote:Nothing scares the bejesus out of d-bags like the sound of a shotgun racking. Most likely they will start running after that sound. no shots fired, get a description, call 911. The 870 is the tried and true model, but the Mossberg is a decent weapon as well for good price. they will both do the job. If you go handgun, i would go Glock. i do not own one, (i have Beretta's and Sigs). The Glock is a good weapon. Easy to fire, easy to get used to. It has a consistent trigger pull as the actions do not switch.
I think we've been down this road before, but from personal experience everyone recognizes a 12 gauge loading. "We got the wrong house."

Those that don't will be scared out of their pants by the sound and flame pattern inside a normal darkened house, believe me. It also fairs well through normal doors and drywall too. A second shot is not normally needed for your average purp to bail out.

It really matters how much time you have to react. A pistol may be in order if you are deep sleeper or don't have some type of alert system. Give me 4-5 seconds though, I'd pick the loaded 12 gauge pump everytime. Not alot of practice needed either to hit anything.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Ron` wrote:Not alot of practice needed either to hit anything.

Maybe, although a lot of people might be surprised. Shotguns don't spread as far as one might think, especially as close range. At "across the room" distances, the pattern from a shotgun with an open cylinder choke (i.e. no choke) can probably still be covered by one's hand. Aiming is still required.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby EagleMorph on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Psychlone wrote:I live in Emsworth by the way.

As a fellow Emsworthian, while this isn't a posh country club, I'm surprised you feel the need for a weapon in the home here.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:07 am

EagleMorph wrote:
Psychlone wrote:I live in Emsworth by the way.

As a fellow Emsworthian, while this isn't a posh country club, I'm surprised you feel the need for a weapon in the home here.

Brake ins can happen in even the richest neighborhoods.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 am

Jim wrote:Not if yuou use bird shot what? Kinck? A 12 guage has more kick than Joe-average would be able to handle in the middle of the night while scared of of their minds because someone broke in... no matter what it is loaded with.

More along the lines of less overkill and wall penetration.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:12 am

Shyster wrote:
Corvidae wrote:So true. I wish I had the cash. But then again, I'd also like S&Ws 642. I hear it's great for carrying (home defense would not be it's strong point). I think Glocks are fantastic, but even the most compact one is bulkier than I'd like. I don't want to be one of those guys who owns more guns than he knows what to do with (no offense to anyone who's one of those guys [or gals {dangy?}]), but someday I must have a revolver.

Come to the dark side… Give in to your desires… Allow your resistance to further purchases to fade away… When you find yourself thinking that you need to buy a gun you already own—but in a different barrel length—you will know you are one of us. Now, go forth and purchase magazines for guns that you don’t own just because they’re on sale, and hey, you’re going to buy one of those sooner or later anyway. :P

(personally guilty on both, BTW)

Shyster? Is this you?

:shock: :P
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Psychlone on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:03 am

I feel safe in Emsworth for sure but you never know. I've been a gun owner before and have shot a fair amount of them and I just felt like I should probably have something in the house in case something were to ever happen.
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR