World of Warcraft discussion thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:05 am

I may be leaving early today, and I'm gonna go home and digitally buy it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:11 am

Spikey wrote:I'm actually kind of glad I'm still at 75. It'll take me a week or two to get to 80 and I'll probably just level to 85 (or as far as possible) in Northrend before I even bother moving on to the new areas. By that time everyone will (hopefully) have moved on to other areas. Not worth jockeying with that many other people to complete quests. I might even level my new character a bit before I try the new zones.


Read mmo-champion. Bliz made some changes in xp related to what you are wanting to do.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,767
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:16 am

SoupOrSam wrote:
Spikey wrote:I'm actually kind of glad I'm still at 75. It'll take me a week or two to get to 80 and I'll probably just level to 85 (or as far as possible) in Northrend before I even bother moving on to the new areas. By that time everyone will (hopefully) have moved on to other areas. Not worth jockeying with that many other people to complete quests. I might even level my new character a bit before I try the new zones.


Read mmo-champion. Bliz made some changes in xp related to what you are wanting to do.


They nerfed the leveling xp needed by 20% per level I believe.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 am

From 70-80, yes
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:32 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:
Spikey wrote:I'm actually kind of glad I'm still at 75. It'll take me a week or two to get to 80 and I'll probably just level to 85 (or as far as possible) in Northrend before I even bother moving on to the new areas. By that time everyone will (hopefully) have moved on to other areas. Not worth jockeying with that many other people to complete quests. I might even level my new character a bit before I try the new zones.


Read mmo-champion. Bliz made some changes in xp related to what you are wanting to do.


They nerfed the leveling xp needed by 20% per level I believe.


Spikey is saying he wants to level in Northrand as far as he can go. They made reductions. They nerfed the overall XP needed to level, but they also reduced the xp gained once you pass the requirements of that zone. It would be worse than the equiv of staying in Outlands and grinding mobs/quests for XP to go from 70-80 ... 10% worse. I wouldn't even want to think how long the questing/grinding would take to level a toon from 70-80 in Outlands. I mean it's cool it went from like 1.5mil to 1.24 mil or whatever per level for 70-80 now, but it's like 1.6mil(80-85) iirc after logging in today. Forget that. You're totally better off leveling in the zone you should be. Blizzard was good with the respawn rates on quests with Wrath and I see no reason why it would be bad now. Suck it up and you'll be to 85 in a week. :) Hell, lots of the hardcore guys are already 82(in 3 hours) and prob 83-84(given it's been another 3 and a half hours)
Last edited by SoupOrSam on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,767
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 am

Yeah, they haven't really rescaled leveling in Cataclysm despite the fact you only have five levels to max out. I played for about an hour this morning in the new zone and made pretty decent progress considering it was a complete zoo there.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Spikey on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Bah, I forgot about the XP nerfing. Honestly, I don't really care how long it takes me to level to 85. I don't do any raiding and I don't have this character in a guild (because I've yet to find one that I was interested in and who would be interested in someone who doesn't raid) so I'm not in a hurry to keep pace with guildies or anything. Plus I'm eventually going to have to do all of this anyway for Loremaster, sooo...

I dunno, I'll probably keep doing what I'm doing for now and see what happens. If the leveling is ridiculously slow I'll move on, but I'm only at 75 so it's not like I can't find places in Northrend where quests are still yellow/orange/red. I use the random dungeon finder a lot too, so that will boost my XP a bit. I'd really like to not only avoid the crowds in the new areas but save those quests for when I'm maxed out on XP and can get gold instead. Since this character is an enchanter and I'm de'ing everything that drops instead of selling it, it's not as easy to make gold.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,658
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am
Location: North Fayette

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:34 pm

So how is everyone enjoying the new expansion pack?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:So how is everyone enjoying the new expansion pack?


I just want to go home and get back to it lol...I'll be happy to get out of the underwater zone.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:50 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:So how is everyone enjoying the new expansion pack?


I just want to go home and get back to it lol...I'll be happy to get out of the underwater zone.


I'll be heading to blackrock first to find the first dungeon, then getting archeology, and then exploring whatever is out there to quest.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Spikey on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Just out of curiosity since I've not paid a lot of attention, what is the questing order (or whatever you want to call it) for the new areas?

I'm guessing this is a no, but has anyone done Heroic Deadmines or Heroic SFK yet? I'm wondering if they're exactly the same w/ higher level mobs or if they've changed things for the heroic versions.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,658
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am
Location: North Fayette

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Spikey wrote:Just out of curiosity since I've not paid a lot of attention, what is the questing order (or whatever you want to call it) for the new areas?

I'm guessing this is a no, but has anyone done Heroic Deadmines or Heroic SFK yet? I'm wondering if they're exactly the same w/ higher level mobs or if they've changed things for the heroic versions.


Spikey depending on what faction you are(can't remember), there are starting quests to get you to those areas in your capital cities(Org, Stormwind).
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Spikey on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Spikey wrote:Just out of curiosity since I've not paid a lot of attention, what is the questing order (or whatever you want to call it) for the new areas?

I'm guessing this is a no, but has anyone done Heroic Deadmines or Heroic SFK yet? I'm wondering if they're exactly the same w/ higher level mobs or if they've changed things for the heroic versions.


Spikey depending on what faction you are(can't remember), there are starting quests to get you to those areas in your capital cities(Org, Stormwind).


Oh cool, thank you. I logged on long enough to download the new stuff last night but I haven't played at all and I really haven't read much on the changes.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,658
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am
Location: North Fayette

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm

No problem Spikey, I myself wasn't pumped to log in, but now I just want to go home.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:00 pm

A queue just to get on the server...craziness.

I've got to say, I hate the underwater zone. It's scenically beautiful, but I hate questing underwater in general. And one thing is for sure, they made leveling more difficult in terms of beating enemies. The Level 80 mobs in the first zone have 36k health.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Spikey on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:48 am

shafnutz05 wrote:A queue just to get on the server...craziness.

I've got to say, I hate the underwater zone. It's scenically beautiful, but I hate questing underwater in general. And one thing is for sure, they made leveling more difficult in terms of beating enemies. The Level 80 mobs in the first zone have 36k health.


I tried to log on last night and I was #1283 in queue. :lol: I watched a movie while I waited to get on and then when I finally made it through the queue, I was too tired to even play much. No big deal, between the long wait and the Pens games Monday and tonight I'll have some decent rest built up when I'm ready to play again.

I'm not looking forward to the underwater zone. I don't know if it's lack of coordination or what, but I'm a terrible swimmer.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,658
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am
Location: North Fayette

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:03 am

Spikey wrote:I'm not looking forward to the underwater zone. I don't know if it's lack of coordination or what, but I'm a terrible swimmer.


There's two starting zones... sort of like Wrath's Borean/Howling
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,767
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 am

SoupOrSam wrote:
Spikey wrote:I'm not looking forward to the underwater zone. I don't know if it's lack of coordination or what, but I'm a terrible swimmer.


There's two starting zones... sort of like Wrath's Borean/Howling


I know the boat from SW takes you right into the underwater zone...how do you get over to the other one?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:09 am

shafnutz05 wrote:A queue just to get on the server...craziness.

I've got to say, I hate the underwater zone. It's scenically beautiful, but I hate questing underwater in general. And one thing is for sure, they made leveling more difficult in terms of beating enemies. The Level 80 mobs in the first zone have 36k health.


This was something that they had said would be happening. Like Vanilla WoW to BC, the gear has changed radically, and to offset the healing dominance we healers have, they in turn made the stamina and gear higher so mana would become a problem.

It's a rather stupid fix to a problem that's only going to get worse as we get better gear.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 am

That being said, I enjoyed last night. I hit level 81 already in like 2 hours, and I'm about halfway through the Water Zone. It's kinda cool I guess, it looks badass, but I'm a druid, so I have water form. I could certainly see how stupid it is for people who can only ride the mount, as if I get aggro, I can just hit water form and glide away.

Also, rand BRD last night. It was kind of homage to old school WoW, big dungeon with some decent mobs. I healed it no problem with my gear that was ICC 25 equivalent, but to be honest, there were actually some tricky spots where I had to pay attention, and that's a welcoming change.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:31 am

On a weird whim last night I decided to start playing this game again. Not getting too involved, but just kind of working through the quests and checking out the zones. I would still be down for raiding, but not on a schedule...maybe just drop in to random raids (that's how I got my ICC achievement anyway)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:33 am

I've actually started playing other games to help me forget about this one since I'm burned out. i still play, but I quit raiding and all of that.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,090
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I've actually started playing other games to help me forget about this one since I'm burned out. i still play, but I quit raiding and all of that.


I actually enjoy playing the game, it was the constant worrying about making the raid schedule that burned me out. Playing without any obligations to anyone else is awesomesauce
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,216
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby Kraftster on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:19 pm

I miss the game. I recently got Dungeon Hunter 2 for the iPad and everything was constantly le sigh because I was comparing it to WoW. Le sigh.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,898
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:58 pm

I end up playing the game for a month or so when an expansion hits but I can't stick with the game anymore beyond that.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beveridge, DelPen, Eismann, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, meecrofilm, mikey287 and 6 guests

e-mail