World of Warcraft discussion thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:23 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Holy cow 15 a month. 11.5 million subscribers... thats like 2 billion a year. holw cow. i'm holding out for D3. I can't drop an extra 15 a month lol

That's 11.5 million *unique* subscribers. That's not including the people that have multiple accounts.

Blizzard makes money.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Ok cool. Thanks jay. I will look into those. Hadda stop playing so I could be ready to watch smackdown lol

First month is free, nicceeeee. I was wondering but that's cool with me!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:19 pm

jaysmiter wrote:SolidSnake,

I play and if you're looking for someone to BS with while you level or someone to level with, let me know. I'm on Lothar (you can PM me if you do).

I think my biggest advice to you is to just play. It seems really overwhelming and confusing at first, but you'll eventually get the hang of things.

Chances are, people aren't going to believe that someone is actually *new* and thus probably won't be all that helpful, so bookmark http://www.thottbot.com and refer to it often. It will help with quests immensely. And if you decide to download any mods, I would suggest just getting one that allows for coordinates on a map, like cartographer. That should be all you get, currently. Maybe QuestHelper, but I've never used that so I can't really recommend it.

Pick up two professions ASAP and work on them from the start.

Umm...other than that...you'll find a lot of crappy people on there, but there are also good people that will help out, as well.

Yeah, this is really good advice. http://www.wowhead.com/ is also a site that can be helpful but thottbot is better. Coordinate mod is very good, as is the questhelper, although questhelper can be kind of buggy sometimes.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:29 am

get a threat meter once you get close to the high levels so people dont hate you.

also...learn what "threat" is.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jaysmiter on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:09 pm

Kaizer wrote:get a threat meter once you get close to the high levels so people dont hate you.

Psh...who needs a threat meter? Once you hit 80 if the tank can't hold all the threat, he's not a very good tank =P
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby Kaizer on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:29 pm

jaysmiter wrote:
Kaizer wrote:get a threat meter once you get close to the high levels so people dont hate you.

Psh...who needs a threat meter? Once you hit 80 if the tank can't hold all the threat, he's not a very good tank =P

you are the reason nobody PuGs 5-mans.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:10 pm

I just got the Burning Crusade. Sorry for the noob question but when can I get into using that expansion?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:34 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I just got the Burning Crusade. Sorry for the noob question but when can I get into using that expansion?

you can go to Outland at level 58
Northrend at 68.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jaysmiter on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:35 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I just got the Burning Crusade. Sorry for the noob question but when can I get into using that expansion?

Well, you can start using some things, like making a Draeni or Blood Elf and going to their respective cities, but the real meat of that expansion starts at level 58 or so.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Wut?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Advice? Just quit now.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:30 pm

jaysmiter wrote:

Well, you can start using some things, like making a Draeni or Blood Elf and going to their respective cities, but the real meat of that expansion starts at level 58 or so.

I've never played it, so I don't know, but how long does it take to get to a level like that. I figure it doesn't take long to get up to level 15-20 in a lot of games, but thats when you start actually spending a decent amount of time between levels. A lot of games don't go all the way up to 99 though, so maybe you can rapidly level up into the 50s? I have no idea, how long does it take?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:

I've never played it, so I don't know, but how long does it take to get to a level like that. I figure it doesn't take long to get up to level 15-20 in a lot of games, but thats when you start actually spending a decent amount of time between levels. A lot of games don't go all the way up to 99 though, so maybe you can rapidly level up into the 50s? I have no idea, how long does it take?

They made it easier to level from 20 to 70 in the game now.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:01 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Advice? Just quit now.

:thumb:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Ok cool, thanks. Soon I will pick up Wraith of the Lich King. I appreciate all the advice so far.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:And stay away from LEROY JENKINS

lololol
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:18 pm

You can upgrade from their website to each expansion. (download the game files)

You have to determine what you are going to want to do with the game once you hit 80. That's going to be your biggest choice on the amount of life you want to devote.

For example, you hit 80, run all/some of the heroics for pre-Naxx gear, get others crafted, join a 10/25 man guild to run Naxx.... hopefully it's good enough to progress into Ulduar. (This little shindig is called "raiding" and can consume upwards of 4-5 nights of 4-5 hours per night just running the raid, not doing dailies, profession work, farming for your professions, etc....)

If you're into PvP(person-vs-person) you can do battleground grinds, Wintergrasp battles for starting PvP gear fresh at 80. You can purchase PvP gear similar to past season areana's gear with Honor and with marks from Wintergrasp. You can then move into 2v2's(which in the next patch 3.2, will be changed a little with what you can purchase), 3v3s , and 5v5s.

Overall it's an awesome time but literally will consume your life. There is no joke about it. Between raiding and farming for mats, leveling alts, I probably spend less time, working, eating and sleeping combined.

WEEE!
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:26 pm

Yea it's consumed a lot of my time so far and I only had it for 2 days. lol I don't really wanna get into PVP. Probably get destroyed anyways.

Right now I got no plans to join a guild. I like going around at my own pace.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:31 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Yea it's consumed a lot of my time so far and I only had it for 2 days. lol I don't really wanna get into PVP. Probably get destroyed anyways.

Don't buy gold from Chinese people. :thumb: :lol:
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby neophool on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:40 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Yea it's consumed a lot of my time so far and I only had it for 2 days. lol I don't really wanna get into PVP. Probably get destroyed anyways.

imo, the absolute best part of WoW is guilds, or at least groups of friends doing dungeons together, or even better, the large raids.

one guild i was in took forever to kill this one dragon in (at the time) the most elite Raid (40 players in a group). we spent WEEKS trying, pouring over strategies, organizing different groups, different make-ups, etc etc.

when we finally beat it, it was like we won the stanley cup, people were freaking out over Ventrillo. it really was awesome.

its a social game, but of course like irl, you need "alone" time too.

most of the early elveling, esp. this late in the game's lifespan will be lonely, but once you hit max level its all about the social aspects of the game.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:47 pm

Is it like online dating? Without real life encounters? And less girls?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spikey on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am

I love WoW, and it is totally possible to play and not get addicted. Just don't take it too seriously, and decide how much time you're willing to put into it. I've been playing a lot lately but sometimes I'll go weeks without even logging in.

My advice would be don't join a guild that expects a lot out of you (which you said you don't want to do anyway). That will allow you to significantly lower your playing time and eliminates a lot of drama, IMO. I was part of a guild for a while and ended up quitting because they were trying to schedule weekly events on certain days and times, and infighting erupted when people didn't want to plan their entire lives around running WoW instances. I already have a boss who expects me to be somewhere promptly on time every day, and he's actually paying me to be there. I'm sure there are good guilds out there, though.

Also, never ask a serious question in general chat. Look for a higher level toon and whisper your questions to them. If you ask people questions directly, they're more inclined to give you an actual answer and not be a sarcastic jerk. That's especially helpful when you're trying to gear yourself properly, just find someone of the same class and ask them.

I'm currently leveling a couple of alts. I'm also learning to tank with my pally, but I don't take it super seriously the way a lot of WoW players do so I basically just do runs with my friends who I know won't throw a total hissy fit if I screw up. I haven't done many raids because they can go on for hours and hours and again, in my experience those who don't treat it like super srs bsnss tend to be persona non grata.

I've been playing for two years and there's still a ton that I don't know anything about. I consider myself about as far away from a hardcore player as you can possibly get.

What server does everyone play on? I'm on Ravenholdt primarily. I have an 80 belf paladin named Fleury (heh) and a couple of other lower level alts.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:52 am

I'm playing on Garosh because that's what was reccommended to me. Yea I def make sure it doesn't consume everything lol I take care of everything I need to do around home and work before I play. I would like to learn to become a cook and fish because I'm apprentice in cooking and I spoke to a trainer but I don't know what to do from here.

I haven't been asked to join a guild. I'm lvl 10 so that's prob why lol
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spikey on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:30 am

SolidSnake wrote:I'm playing on Garosh because that's what was reccommended to me. Yea I def make sure it doesn't consume everything lol I take care of everything I need to do around home and work before I play. I would like to learn to become a cook and fish because I'm apprentice in cooking and I spoke to a trainer but I don't know what to do from here.

I haven't been asked to join a guild. I'm lvl 10 so that's prob why lol

You'll be asked to join a guild at a low level. In fact, a lot of people will offer gold to lowbies for their signature on a guild charter when they're trying to get a guild up and running. You can have a pretty lucrative business just signing guild charters and quitting once the guild is established if you choose to do so, or you may find one you're interested in staying in.

It's good to level cooking and fishing at the same time because you can cook the fish that you catch to level up your fishing skill. I missed if you mentioned which class you're playing, but it's also great for free food for your pet if you're a hunter. For cooking, you just have to basically find the required mats for each recipe that you learn and stand next to a campfire, bonfire, etc. Recipes are available either through trainers or through vendors in cities and towns (IIRC it's the "trade goods" vendors). There are a few lowbie fish cooking recipes that are great for leveling your cooking/fishing simultaneously. I think a lot of people find fishing and cooking to not be worth spending the time on (and believe me, fishing gets tedious once you get up around skill level 300) but there are quite a few achievements associated with cooking and fishing and some of the buffs that you get from the higher level foods you'll cook are really helpful once you get into higher level content. Also, you can make a ton of money fishing and selling the stacks of some of the types of fish in the auction house (depending on the going rate on your server), particularly the ones you catch from nodes in Northrend - I've sold some for 50g+ a stack. *And,* you can make cash while you level your fishing skill - Stranglethorn Vale has tons of fishing nodes where you can fish up chests that are full of everything from gear to bolts of cloth you can use or sell in the auction house.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:32 am

advice:

l2p, nUb.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR