World of Warcraft discussion thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Spikey on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:09 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I just met a lady where she was selling carriers for cats. lol So I shouldn't get hunter pets? and I finally got my materials to cook. It seems like everytime I play I learn something new. It took me 45 mins to find Eastvale Logging Camp because I was just running all over killing enemies to get XP.

I had no idea there was holiday events, I bet the servers are always in queue.

You can only get hunter pets if you're a hunter. Once you get to a certain level (I think it's 10), hunters get a quest that allows them to find and tame a pet.

If you buy the cats from the lady (or get any other vanity pet), once they're in your bag you right-click on them. You will "learn" that pet. Then click the button that allows you to view your character's gear set up etc. (the one with the picture of your character on it) and there will be a tab called pets. The cat you bought will appear in there. If you right click on it, the cat will appear and follow you around until you either die or fly somewhere. Mounts work the same way. Once you hit level 30 and buy your mount, you'll have a sub-tab for mounts on your pets tab.

I've had good luck with server queues so far. I play Horde on Ravenholdt and I've never had a queue. I have a couple of Alliance toons over on Earthen Ring and every once in a while I'll run into a queue there. The only other server I've ever encountered a queue on was Moon Guard and apparently it's pretty common. I put a couple of toons on there not realizing that it's apparently the server where all of the hardcore RP'ers like to gather, so it's got tons and tons of players who do nothing but sit around in the inns. :lol:

If you open up the achievements window (on your toolbar at the bottom with the other buttons) and look at the World Events submenu, you'll see all of the various holiday stuff that they do. They just finished up Midsummer and I think next is Brewfest in October.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jaysmiter on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Kaizer wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Wow, thanks for all the advice so far Spikey. I appreciate it. I'm a Warrior and so far I like it. Yea I have seen people running around with spiders and such that's pretty cool lol too bad humans can't get pets.

Pfft. Hunters are soff. stick with your Warrior.

Psh. Warriors are crap...most of my runs are better with DK, Druid, or Pally tanks...yeah...I said it.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Wow thanks Spikey. You're been very helpful. This is the first ever MMORPG I've ever played so I'm taking in everything that I can.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby crayz on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:26 pm

wow...i didn't know new people actually started playing.

i quit about 2 years ago....a good hundred or two hundred hours of my life gone....
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spikey on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:26 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Wow thanks Spikey. You're been very helpful. This is the first ever MMORPG I've ever played so I'm taking in everything that I can.

No problem. I had someone to help me when I started playing and I still felt overwhelmed. Plus the topic of WoW is a hell of a lot more interesting than the work I'm supposed to be doing right now.

Psh. Warriors are crap...most of my runs are better with DK, Druid, or Pally tanks...yeah...I said it.

My only other 80 toon is a Warrior. When I first started playing I didn't really know what tanking was, so I specc'ed her as fury without realizing that there's not a huge market for DPS Warriors. :face: Still, for a player that loves to solo like I do and is primarily interested in PvE, there are worse choices. They're only slightly less indestructible than pallies (and because the toon is a Dranei and has the profession of herbalism she's got healing options) and since the addition of Titan's Grip you can pretty much mow down anything that gets in your way in only a couple of swings.
Last edited by Spikey on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:27 pm

crayz wrote:wow...i didn't know new people actually started playing.

i quit about 2 years ago....a good hundred or two hundred hours of my life gone....

Two hundred hours is like nothing lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Yeah, if you like Wow type of games, its really an awesome game. I'm retired for about 14 months. It can really consume your life if you have an obsessive personality....like me. I had to quit to study for the bar, but, I managed to play pretty regularly for my second and most of my third year of law school. I haven't really thought about going back, though. This whole adult life thing kind of gets in the way.

My only bits of advice would be:

Enjoy it the first time through. Its probably more difficult to do now that it is really easy to level to 60 (even 70 now maybe?). Don't try to power level the first time through, though. Enjoy the game one time through. You'll long for the days when you stuff was new and challenging.

Thereafter, find a fun guild that fits with your seriousness. I raided with a Druid, Paladin, and had started to with Mage. Like APK said, if you can encounter new stuff pre-nerf, that's probably the most fun you'll have during the game. At least it was for me.

Lastly, play the AH. This was probably my favorite part of the game (outside of the really challenging raiding). I could buy/sell myself to a fortune pretty quickly. I would spend lots of time every day gauging the market and buy low/sell high. None of the stuff like auctioneer, etc. works in my opinion. No replacing gold old market savviness. I cornered the market on Tanaris to perfection. We had a group of jewelcrafters that were regular Rober barons. Price fixing (and gouging) to perfection. Fun times.

Oh and don't pick your professions based on short-term goals.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Kraftster wrote:Yeah, if you like Wow type of games, its really an awesome game. I'm retired for about 14 months. It can really consume your life if you have an obsessive personality....like me. I had to quit to study for the bar, but, I managed to play pretty regularly for my second and most of my third year of law school. I haven't really thought about going back, though. This whole adult life thing kind of gets in the way.

Enjoy it the first time through. Its probably more difficult to do now that it is really easy to level to 60 (even 70 now maybe?). Don't try to power level the first time through, though. Enjoy the game one time through. You'll long for the days when you stuff was new and challenging.

Thereafter, find a fun guild that fits with your seriousness. I raided with a Druid, Paladin, and had started to with Mage. Like APK said, if you can encounter new stuff pre-nerf, that's probably the most fun you'll have during the game. At least it was for me.

Lastly, play the AH. This was probably my favorite part of the game (outside of the really challenging raiding). I could buy/sell myself to a fortune pretty quickly. I would spend lots of time every day gauging the market and buy low/sell high. None of the stuff like auctioneer, etc. works in my opinion. No replacing gold old market savviness. I cornered the market on Tanaris to perfection. We had a group of jewelcrafters that were regular Rober barons. Price fixing (and gouging) to perfection. Fun times.

Yeah, playing the AH is the only way to truly make bank...A friend of mine that plays is about 3/5 of his way to his goal: Gold capped on all of his characters. Ridiculous. He has so much WoW money, he couldn't possibly even spend it.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:36 pm

jaysmiter wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Yeah, if you like Wow type of games, its really an awesome game. I'm retired for about 14 months. It can really consume your life if you have an obsessive personality....like me. I had to quit to study for the bar, but, I managed to play pretty regularly for my second and most of my third year of law school. I haven't really thought about going back, though. This whole adult life thing kind of gets in the way.

Yeah, playing the AH is the only way to truly make bank...A friend of mine that plays is about 3/5 of his way to his goal: Gold capped on all of his characters. Ridiculous. He has so much WoW money, he couldn't possibly even spend it.

Yep. If you can get three or four 70s (80s now I suppose) you can set yourself for making money in any sort of market. All crafting profs/a farmer (mats) and a bank too nstationed at the AH. If mat prices are up go that way, crafted go that way, etc. JC and D/E stuff used to be a pretty steady money maker a while ago.
Also every few days you could find a recipe/pattern/etc. That iis underpriced. Its time consuming but well worth it imo. I ended up getting a lot more cash for my account when I sold because of all the gold.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby neophool on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:15 pm

if you see something called "THE NERF BAT" coming at you, RUN AWAY!!!!! lulz
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:45 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:

200 hours? That's it?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:47 pm

http://www.swtor.com/

Looking forward to this...

and of course....

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/?rhtml=y
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby neophool on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:41 pm

Kovy27 wrote:http://www.swtor.com/

Looking forward to this...

and of course....

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/?rhtml=y

hellz yea
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby neophool on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:41 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

200 hours? That's it?

lewl
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:40 am

D3 will change the world. I cannot wait.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Easton on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:02 am

I remember first playing D2 when my brother came back from the Marines in 2000--played it on his laptop. I thought, and still think, that was the greatest game ever created. At the very least, for the computer.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:39 am

I played with 2 people tonight and we did some quests and it was alotta fun. Made things much easier. I played from 10:30pm-1:30am and didn't take a break once lol
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:43 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:D3 will change the world. I cannot wait.

The Mighty Ducks are back.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby neophool on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:26 am

SolidSnake wrote:I played with 2 people tonight and we did some quests and it was alotta fun. Made things much easier. I played from 10:30pm-1:30am and didn't take a break once lol

and so it begins......lol
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 am

neophool wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I played with 2 people tonight and we did some quests and it was alotta fun. Made things much easier. I played from 10:30pm-1:30am and didn't take a break once lol

Yea pretty much lol that was one of the most fun times I had playing a game ever. When I heard about WOW, I heard how addicting and fun it was but for some reason I never wanted to give it a shot and now that I have I wish I would of played it sooner. Everytime I log off I can't wait to log back in.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spikey on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks to this thread I spent the better part of my evening yesterday playing WoW. I was inspired to create a new alt. Anybody play a warlock? I'm confused by the different talent choices.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 am

God damn this thread is giving me a wow itch... MUST STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crayz on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:38 am

neophool wrote:

when you get up at 8 am for a raid and play til 5pm with no breaks....then from 6-3 am.......let us know :)
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:48 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:God damn this thread is giving me a wow itch... MUST STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Hah, I was thinking the same thing for the first time in a year or so. Want...to.....see.....Northrend.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:52 am

I had to stop playing when I got engaged, it was starting to push through the relationship. I'll be 3 years sober in September. I passed my rogue on to my old roomate who has recently leveled him to 80. I have a mage and warlock that are around 50. This is probably the best game I've ever played and recently I've been going over to my old roomates place who just built a new computer, and this game looks even more fun now. The bug is biting me, and this thread isn't helping, but 2 kids under 2 will not allow me to get back into this.... yet. Looking forward to the day I can come back!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR