Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:55 am

The Preview for Promethus before the Avengers got me pretty excited for it. Looking forward to that almost as much as TDK Rises later this summer.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 am

Is it just a horror movie?

I'd like to watch Aliens, since I've seen and like all of Camerons other movies. But I wanted to watch Alien first. And I get bored before they finish eating dinner. That and I know its mostly a horror film, which I dont really like.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:09 am

Aliens is much more an "action" flick than Alien is. It's hard for me to say which one I like better, just depends on my mood. Alien I think is much more suspenseful, and slowly paced, but it works very well IMO. Aliens once it gets going is balls to the wall action throughout mostly. The scores in both movies are fantastic and add so much.

I like to forget Alien 3 ever happened, as well as Resurrection for the most part.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 am

i watched alien a few days ago. hadn't seen it in probably 10-15 years. i was pretty young then, so i thought it was just really boring (especially since i saw "aliens" first, so i was comparing the 2). after re-watching it - great movie. though call me crazy, but i thought the movie was better BEFORE the full-grown alien showed up. i liked the tension and the build up more than i liked the payoff.

...or maybe i just got a little derailed by the baby alien running across the dinner table (maybe the worst special effects decision ever in a movie of that caliber).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon May 07, 2012 10:19 am

Alien is one of the better examples of what you don't see being scarier than what you do see. And I think they do a pretty good job on the creature reveal. You couldn't really do that in the sequels because we have already seen the creature.

Looking back on it now, that's a fairly ingenious idea to shift from scifi/horror to scifi/action. You don't see too many franchises that see genre shifts in the sequels.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:09 pm

skullman80 wrote:Avengers has the biggest opening weekend ever... 200million.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

Didn't read the article, but how was it in # of tickets sold?
Adding in IMAX and 3D really bloats the box office take.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:47 pm

its cleaning up in all 4 demographics (men/women|young/old)

it certainly will not be selling as many tickets as Gone with the Wind or Dr Zhivago, but its doing extremely well across the board. And it's not going to be like Transformers 2, which had a huge opening and trailed off considerably when people said how bad it was. This movie was great for a lot of reasons.

Not to mention the audience laughing and cheering will cause you to miss a lot of great dialogue, so it's going to do well with repeat viewings.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:49 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:its cleaning up in all 4 demographics (men/women|young/old)

it certainly will not be selling as many tickets as Gone with the Wind or Dr Zhivago, but its doing extremely well across the board. And it's not going to be like Transformers 2, which had a huge opening and trailed off considerably when people said how bad it was. This movie was great for a lot of reasons.

And that's why I'm interested in DKR. I think Avengers will be bigger than DKR because of the wide demo and great word of mouth...and 3D.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:58 pm

much of dkr was shot with imax cameras, i think every action scene was. i will be much happier to see it in imax than to see it in faux imax (like the avengers)
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon May 07, 2012 2:05 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:much of dkr was shot with imax cameras, i think every action scene was. i will be much happier to see it in imax than to see it in faux imax (like the avengers)

I think over 60 minutes
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:21 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-rated-r/164532/

This is fantastic news.

I've seen some comments online from people who have seen advance screenings. Comments are ranging from "one of the best sci-fi movies ever" to "4 out of 5 stars.... 1-star penalty for being so gory".

8-)

I'm trying to keep spoiler-free, but apparently the creatures in this movie seriously eff up the people who cross their path.

skullman80 wrote:Alien I think is much more suspenseful, and slowly paced, but it works very well IMO.

There is no dialog in the first 6 minutes or in the final 18 minutes (save for Ripley's recorded message). If it had been structured like "Aliens" I don't think it would have been nearly as good, nor nearly as effective.

They're both great films, but Scott's is a masterpiece while Cameron's is merely excellent.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon May 07, 2012 2:32 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-rated-r/164532/

This is fantastic news.

I've seen some comments online from people who have seen advance screenings. Comments are ranging from "one of the best sci-fi movies ever" to "4 out of 5 stars.... 1-star penalty for being so gory".

8-)

I'm trying to keep spoiler-free, but apparently the creatures in this movie seriously eff up the people who cross their path.

skullman80 wrote:Alien I think is much more suspenseful, and slowly paced, but it works very well IMO.

There is no dialog in the first 6 minutes or in the final 18 minutes (save for Ripley's recorded message). If it had been structured like "Aliens" I don't think it would have been nearly as good, nor nearly as effective.

They're both great films, but Scott's is a masterpiece while Cameron's is merely excellent.

Guillermo del Toro posting to his fan site that this movie is basically killing his dream project of At the mountains of madness, which is an incredible book. He said a lot of the movie would basically be identical to scenes he had planned. That is a major bummer, but the way hollywood works, I would think if this movie is successful, they would want to throw more similar projects out there to repeat business, no?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:42 pm

There is no such thing as an original idea in Hollywood. If "Prometheus" is successful, there will be others like it.

Also, H'wood tends to make movies with similar themes in an almost fad fashion.... remember about 14, 15 years ago when there was "Dante's Peak" and "Volcano" within a few months of each other?

If the studio is killing ATMOM, my bet would be that they had problems with del Toro's version of it, and I think that's most likely because of budget issues.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon May 07, 2012 2:43 pm

what is difference between XD and IMAX?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what is difference between XD and IMAX?

One has two letters and the other 4.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon May 07, 2012 2:51 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
If the studio is killing ATMOM, my bet would be that they had problems with del Toro's version of it, and I think that's most likely because of budget issues.

don't cast Tom Cruise... budget issues fixed.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what is difference between XD and IMAX?

XD is Cinemark's branding for their specially equiped theaters with higher end Barco brand projectors and higher quality speaker systems. I don't know if the projectors get larger "upscaled" film prints or if they are just using more advanced processors and are feeding them the same digital video that other projectors in the building get. I assume they're all digital projection, in which case it would probably be the latter. I doubt they get distributors to create a special transfer just for them.

Imax originally was a new size of film/camera system on the production side and a high end projector with extremely large screen/laser aligned sound system. Movie's have typically been filmed on 35mm film, with some larger budget things/action scenes being filmed on 70mm. Imax film is even larger than that. The larger the film, the higher the resolution (think of it like going from 720p to 1080p, sort of)

When movies, such as Apollo 13, we released in Imax (as opposed to Faux Imax, which comes later), they had to contend with several limitations. It was not filmed with Imax cameras, and did not fit properly onto Imax film. So it was cropped to approximately 16x9 and had some scenes cut out due to reel length limitations. This is also why you will notice in movies like Tron Legacy and The Dark Knight that it jumps between 1.85:1 (which basically fills your entire HDTV) to 2.35:1 (which leaves black bars on the top and bottom of the screen).

Over the past several years when Imax releases have become a growing trend, theater chains have began taking the largest auditorium in the multiplex and upgrading it to an Imax projector system. This isn't quite the same thing - many times the screen size is much too small or the wrong shape all together. Also, Imax has been getting into the digital projection business, which most technical people call Faux Imax.

Film has a much much higher resolution than anything digital can currently do. So if something was shot on film and is now being shown in a digital Imax theater, it is "downscaling" the quality. Conversely, something not filmed with Imax cameras but transferred to Imax is "upscaling" it, which is the same principle as watching a standard definition DVD in an upscaling player.

That's why The Dark Knight Rises having so many scenes filmed in Imax is a big deal - it's almost akin to saying that some of the Penguins game is being shown in SD, while other parts of it will be presented in HD. They wanted to film the entire thing in Imax, but the cameras are ridiculously noisey and soft dialogue scenes wouldnt work.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon May 07, 2012 3:06 pm

is IMAX XD compatible? the cinemark theater doesnt have 'imax' per se to my knowledge so if DKR is in imax, will it be the same as seeing it in XD?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon May 07, 2012 3:10 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Over the past several years when Imax releases have become a growing trend, theater chains have began taking the largest auditorium in the multiplex and upgrading it to an Imax projector system. This isn't quite the same thing - many times the screen size is much too small or the wrong shape all together. Also, Imax has been getting into the digital projection business, which most technical people call Faux Imax.

is this what the waterfront did to theirs? Never been to the IMAX theater there. Where is the proper place to watch IMAX in pittsburgh?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:is IMAX XD compatible? the cinemark theater doesnt have 'imax' per se to my knowledge so if DKR is in imax, will it be the same as seeing it in XD?

Not exactly. XD and Imax have nothing to do with each other - in laymans terms they're bigger screens used to separate you from more of your money.

The DKR was filmed on Imax film with an Imax camera. Seeing it in Imax is the only way to fully benefit from that.

Now, since Imax film is very large, the extra detail found in the large film will benefit any other print made of it. The more I think about it I am pretty certain I remember reading that all XD auditoriums use digital projectors. So when the distributor takes the Imax film and makes a digital copy of it, they will have more detail to work with than if the movie had been shot on regular film.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 07, 2012 3:14 pm

eddysnake wrote:
is this what the waterfront did to theirs? Never been to the IMAX theater there. Where is the proper place to watch IMAX in pittsburgh?

95% sure it is a digital projector.

the Cinemark at PGH Mills was built with an Imax auditorium. Since they show 3D Imax films there it must be digital. Maybe they have another one? Probably not likely.

The Omnimax dome at the Science Center uses a real Imax projector. That's why it does not show 3D films.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 am

My only gripe with the whole Avengers movie
Spoiler:
When Loki locks Thor in The Hulk's prison and drops him why didn't Thor just fly and hold the prison? He has that ability and already showed he could hang relatively speaking with The Hulk's strength. It'd be just like carrying a car while he was inside the car. So that part was the only one where I said, "WTF, this is purely done for some sort of dramatic reaction." Other than that, awesome... Puny God.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby demondg1 on Tue May 08, 2012 7:17 am

Pavel Bure wrote:My only gripe with the whole Avengers movie
Spoiler:
When Loki locks Thor in The Hulk's prison and drops him why didn't Thor just fly and hold the prison? He has that ability and already showed he could hang relatively speaking with The Hulk's strength. It'd be just like carrying a car while he was inside the car. So that part was the only one where I said, "WTF, this is purely done for some sort of dramatic reaction." Other than that, awesome... Puny God.

Spoiler:
He actually can't fly. He throws his hammer and holds on. Ridiculous, I know. But I didn't write it. That's why he had to get to the cell wall and push off.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 am

demondg1 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:My only gripe with the whole Avengers movie
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
He actually can't fly. He throws his hammer and holds on. Ridiculous, I know. But I didn't write it. That's why he had to get to the cell wall and push off.

Spoiler:
See I don't know enough about Thor to know that. Just from the prequel and this movie it seemed that he could fly whenever he wanted and if he's just throwing the hammer then how does he change directions... Now I'm just nitpicking, but still I can't be the only person who knows little to nothing about Thor that thought that.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 am

http://www.bigscreen.com/journal.php?id=1505

My first inclination is that the easy solution to this entire mess is for IMAX to come up with simple brands to identify what customers should expect:

IMAX (the standard variety)
IMAX MPX (the smaller variety)
and the addition of a "-D" moniker to designate shows using digital projectors

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 15161c3667

That map designates "real" vs" "fake" vs "dome" Imax auditoriums. I think it just refers to screen size, not projector type.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR