Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:53 pm

canaan wrote:It should be a hard R. Violent. Dark. Morose with an unhappy ending.

Karp is in prison pending domestic violence charges.
Goldberg owns a local hardware store deep into debt because of box store monopolies.
Jesse Hall--dead overdose at 19.
Fulton Reed on the run from knocking over a convenience store
Hans' death and honor thrown away with young adults claiming they were abused
Connie Moreau could be written word-for-word as a sequal to jennifer connelly's role in requiem.

Bombay's DUI/Manslaughter trial brings together a coalition of these rag-tag individuals who get together to revive one last pond hockey game before the area is re-appropriated for townhouses and shopping centers. the tournament brings back the other local peewee players as a benefit to the child and mother that were killed by bombay's gin/adderall infused automobile double homicide. Its a tale of the realism that overtakes young heralded athletes that have nowhere to turn after their short-sighted dreams of the NHL wither away. Charlie Conway, the only successful NHL'er of the bunch, is sporadically talked about in the papers and news as being one of the 1st out and about homosexual hockey players--a role he defiantly rebukes. this subplot reaches an incredible denouement when it becomes public knowledge that he and longtime childhood friend adam banks are plastered across the ottawa sun kissing and doing cocaine in the vip section of a LA nightclub. he makes his way back home to hide from the paparazzi.

the story writes itself.


Can you just turn this into a book?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,980
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Movie

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:34 pm

canaan wrote:It should be a hard R. Violent. Dark. Morose with an unhappy ending.

Karp is in prison pending domestic violence charges.
Goldberg owns a local hardware store deep into debt because of box store monopolies.
Jesse Hall--dead overdose at 19.
Fulton Reed on the run from knocking over a convenience store
Hans' death and honor thrown away with young adults claiming they were abused
Connie Moreau could be written word-for-word as a sequal to jennifer connelly's role in requiem.

Bombay's DUI/Manslaughter trial brings together a coalition of these rag-tag individuals who get together to revive one last pond hockey game before the area is re-appropriated for townhouses and shopping centers. the tournament brings back the other local peewee players as a benefit to the child and mother that were killed by bombay's gin/adderall infused automobile double homicide. Its a tale of the realism that overtakes young heralded athletes that have nowhere to turn after their short-sighted dreams of the NHL wither away. Charlie Conway, the only successful NHL'er of the bunch, is sporadically talked about in the papers and news as being one of the 1st out and about homosexual hockey players--a role he defiantly rebukes. this subplot reaches an incredible denouement when it becomes public knowledge that he and longtime childhood friend adam banks are plastered across the ottawa sun kissing and doing cocaine in the vip section of a LA nightclub. he makes his way back home to hide from the paparazzi.

the story writes itself.


Marvelous. I salute you.

Image
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,474
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Guy Germaine should be normal, moderately successful, and a genuinely good guy. He was always the most underrated duck.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,495
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Movie

Postby farnham16 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Just saw Man of Steel. I'm a huge Superman fan and this movie is very good. The critics that are complaining about it being too "gritty" and "dark" just don't get it. Its definitely grittier than previous Superman movies but that is the direction comic books have been going for years now. Having said that, its not Dark Knight gritty. People need to understand that the Christopher Reeve Superman doesn't really exist anymore. In film or comics. A lot of critics don't seem to get that.

The action is first rate. It goes a little over the top sometimes but who cares, its better than getting almost no action like in Superman Returns. The flying battle with General Zod is freaking awesome (keep your eyes peeled when they are battling in space for an easter egg).

Henry Cavill does a good job. He certainly looks the part and mostly gets it right. General Zod is a very well written bad guy. You can understand his point of view, he's not just some crazy guy bent on killing people for no reason. Some of the side characters get pushed to the side a bit, but what do you expect? Its Superman's origin story.

It's not perfect. I had a couple issues with it but they weren't big problems. If you are a fan of the comics and understand who Superman really is, I think you'll like this a lot. I know I did.


I'm glad to read this. I've been very surprised by the reviews and critic reaction. The nerd culture and fans seem to love the movie, critics (the majority of which hate Zack Snyder) seem to really really dislike it. I've always had a desire to be a Superman fan, but have found the previous movies extremely boring and find the character largely uninteresting. Glad to see that a huge fan loves the movie and that it is fun and exciting.

Spoiler:
I'm guessing the easter egg in space is the Wayne Enterprises satellite?


Its gotten many more positive than negative reviews, but most of the critics who are bashing the film just can't get over the fact that this isn't a Donner/Reeve Superman. They simply don't understand the state of comics or of Superman these days. When the Donner Superman movies came out, that was a very close representation of how Superman was being written back then. That was the right time for that kind of Superman. And they did a wonderful job with Superman 1 and 2. But you can't make a Superman like that in today's world. Today's audience cannot at all relate to that kind of Superman. These critics just do not understand that at all. Most seem to think Reeve's Superman is the ONLY Superman there is. Not surprising that they feel this way because they don't understand or even want to understand comics. This is just a new take on Superman that we haven't seen in movies before.

This movie took a lot from Superman: Birthright. I don't know if you are into comics but if you are pick this book up if you can. Very good origin story.

And if you want the ultimate Superman story, read Grant Morrison's All Star Superman. Its like the encyclopaedia of Superman. You'll understand him if you read it.

And in regards to your spoiler....Yes.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Canaan, please end the film with "fin" and think about getting a mongolian superband to cover foreigner songs in a very slow depressing kind of way for the soundtrack.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,654
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm

I have never seen one Mighty Ducks movie.

That said, I like wut's going on heer.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,297
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Somebody's funny nightmare

Re: Movie

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Obligatory

Image
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,440
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Movie

Postby CERV96 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:16 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Just saw Man of Steel. I'm a huge Superman fan and this movie is very good. The critics that are complaining about it being too "gritty" and "dark" just don't get it. Its definitely grittier than previous Superman movies but that is the direction comic books have been going for years now. Having said that, its not Dark Knight gritty. People need to understand that the Christopher Reeve Superman doesn't really exist anymore. In film or comics. A lot of critics don't seem to get that.

The action is first rate. It goes a little over the top sometimes but who cares, its better than getting almost no action like in Superman Returns. The flying battle with General Zod is freaking awesome (keep your eyes peeled when they are battling in space for an easter egg).

Henry Cavill does a good job. He certainly looks the part and mostly gets it right. General Zod is a very well written bad guy. You can understand his point of view, he's not just some crazy guy bent on killing people for no reason. Some of the side characters get pushed to the side a bit, but what do you expect? Its Superman's origin story.

It's not perfect. I had a couple issues with it but they weren't big problems. If you are a fan of the comics and understand who Superman really is, I think you'll like this a lot. I know I did.


I'm glad to read this. I've been very surprised by the reviews and critic reaction. The nerd culture and fans seem to love the movie, critics (the majority of which hate Zack Snyder) seem to really really dislike it. I've always had a desire to be a Superman fan, but have found the previous movies extremely boring and find the character largely uninteresting. Glad to see that a huge fan loves the movie and that it is fun and exciting.

Spoiler:
I'm guessing the easter egg in space is the Wayne Enterprises satellite?


Its gotten many more positive than negative reviews, but most of the critics who are bashing the film just can't get over the fact that this isn't a Donner/Reeve Superman. They simply don't understand the state of comics or of Superman these days. When the Donner Superman movies came out, that was a very close representation of how Superman was being written back then. That was the right time for that kind of Superman. And they did a wonderful job with Superman 1 and 2. But you can't make a Superman like that in today's world. Today's audience cannot at all relate to that kind of Superman. These critics just do not understand that at all. Most seem to think Reeve's Superman is the ONLY Superman there is. Not surprising that they feel this way because they don't understand or even want to understand comics. This is just a new take on Superman that we haven't seen in movies before.

This movie took a lot from Superman: Birthright. I don't know if you are into comics but if you are pick this book up if you can. Very good origin story.

And if you want the ultimate Superman story, read Grant Morrison's All Star Superman. Its like the encyclopaedia of Superman. You'll understand him if you read it.

And in regards to your spoiler....Yes.


Saw it this morning with 10 other people in the theatre at lowes. I really enjoyed it as well. I liked it much better than Superman Returns.

Spoiler:
Would of liked him to be acting a tad nerdy as part of the Clark Kent disguise at the end but I am positive we will be getting more of that in the next movie. All in all well done! Maybe I am just being byast because I am a huge Superman fan.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,622
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:17 pm

i doubt it will surpass Superman 3 as my favorite Superman movie
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,495
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:50 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092549/?ref_=sr_1

Miami Connection is happening right now...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,495
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

oh. my. god... it's GLORIOUS!
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,495
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Crank 2: High Voltage.

The "On the Waterfront" of badazz.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,297
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Somebody's funny nightmare

Re: Movie

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Silence of the Lambs is on one of the Max channels.

Yes, this is my first time watching it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,549
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Eismann wrote:Crank 2: High Voltage.

The "On the Waterfront" of badazz.

Yeah, for the type of movie it is, Crank 2 might be the best of it's kind ever made
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,495
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Movie

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:22 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Silence of the Lambs is on one of the Max channels.

Yes, this is my first time watching it.


About time. I make references to a movie and you never bloody saw it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:18 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Silence of the Lambs is on one of the Max channels.

Yes, this is my first time watching it.


It puts the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again!
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,677
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Quid pro quo. Yes or no?

Yes or no, Clarice? Poor little Catherine is waiting.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Was she a great big fat person?
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,677
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:32 pm

A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:33 pm

slurp, slurp, slurp, slurp, slurp
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,677
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:34 pm

:fist:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Movie

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Tick tock tick tock tick tock.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,549
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Movie

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:21 am

Superman= damned good.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,038
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Movie

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:27 am

MRandall25 wrote:Tick tock tick tock tick tock.


Tik tik tik tock?

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,868
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment Here

Re: Movie

Postby CERV96 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:16 am

I can't believe I missed out on all the D4 stuff

:face:

We discussed this about 3 months ago in our locker room before a game. We thought Artie Lange would be the perfect fit for Goldberg.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,622
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

e-mail