Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:01 pm

canaan wrote:I loved 12 monkeys, even though it hasn't held up well.

Maybe that's it. Brad Pitt was very good though.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Whats in the box???!!!!!!
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:52 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Whats in the box???!!!!!!

That was Se7en, not 12 monkeys :-)
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:55 pm

I was watching Seven...sorry. Dont mind me.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:04 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
dodint wrote:by the light?

SCIENCE!!!

Geez, you don't have to get revved up like a deuce.

Also, I've been calling our dog a 'dag' for about a week. It's really been screwing with my wife.

Spoiler:
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Whats in the box???!!!!!!

You took the box! Lets see whats in the box!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:I'm not exactly encouraged by some of the Star Wars news that came out over the weekend. It's sounds like the script needed some reworking and they are still working on it. Apparently, filming has already started and there has been no official casting news yet. All of that is a bit worrying.

From what I gather, the filming aspect is pretty standard for a big budget movie. Usually second unit stuff with stunts and/or scenery.

It is never good if cameras are rolling without some notion of a script in place. If they are shooting footage without a map, that's actually a worse sign.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:36 am

shmenguin wrote:wolf of wall street...it was a fun movie and the writing was seriously top notch. i don't know if i remember a movie with dialogue that consistently sharp. but man...tooooo long. and repetitive.

Spoiler:
if you told me that 45% of the movie was him addressing his staff with a stirring speech mixed with cut shots of his employees yelling "f***" and sticking their middle fingers up, i'd believe you. there was a lot of fat that could have been trimmed (dwarf tossing logistic conversation, anyone?) and it took about 100 minutes to establish conflict (not exaggerating). plus, with anti-heroes, you usually have a walter white thing going on where you hate them, but you still root for them. this guy could go suck a lemon, after he punched his wife in the stomach and crashed his car with his kid in it. i didn't care at all what happened to him eventually.

We started watching this last week. At the bit where he sort of crashes the helicopter and he has the fight with his wife where she keeps throwing water on him, Mrs Tif excused herself to the head. We hit ‘pause'...... and saw we were less than halfway in. I checked out at that point. So my opinion of the first 40% of the movie is that it made me want to avoid the remaining 60%.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 pm

The Raid 2 came out this weekend here in Pittsburgh. I remember a few members posting about the original - well, this is a step up in every way. The original had a very minimal story as an excuse for action and fight scenes. This is a crime drama with bits of The Departed, Kill Bill, and Inglorious Basterds. The entire movie looked tremendous - this was my favorite looking movie since Drive.

A few times I couldnt keep up with the subtitles, but it wasnt enough to get me lost. Still, if anyone sees the film and can answer this questions I'd appreciate the info:

Spoiler:
-what exactly happened to Rama's brother Andi? I know Bejo was behind his death, I just didn't understand exactly why.

-what happened to Rama only being in prison a few months? The scene where he gets a mystery visitor had me totally confused. I couldnt keep up with the subtitles to figure out what he was saying about his term/sentence

-what was with Bejo and the wrist tattoos? earlier in the film Uco slices the guys throat who has one. what does he deduce by Bejo having one too?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Sudden Death is on nuvo right now. You heard it hear first.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Anchorman 2 was garbage. Hot, mid-summer, next to south Philly dump waste
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 am

Found Serbian Film on the yt. No subtitles, but I knew the story going in. Definitely wacked out, but very well acted and directed, I thought.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:44 am

Eismann wrote:Found Serbian Film on the yt. No subtitles, but I knew the story going in. Definitely wacked out, but very well acted and directed, I thought.

Yep.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:22 am

Savages on hbo. Liked it enough. A little too long. Liked the first ending better
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Rylan wrote:
Eismann wrote:Found Serbian Film on the yt. No subtitles, but I knew the story going in. Definitely wacked out, but very well acted and directed, I thought.

Yep.

I'd like to know what other people think who actually saw it (not a shot at you, Rylan...i'm assuming you did see it.)

Spoiler:
From what I've read, which is albeit scant aside from about the story, the creator(s) said that it was an allegorical indictment of the Serbian government and its treatment of its people. I was pretty skeptical about that going in, and probably still am overall. That said, for discussion purposes, I could see at least some parallels. So if a theme was that the government abuses citizens from birth, throughout life, and in/after death, then I'd think the three key components in the film would be the newborn scene (birth), the closing scene with all three about to be abused (death), then everything else in between when Milos was drugged (life). Other opinions/angles?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:38 pm

That's an interesting theory.

To me its a beautifully shot and acted movie. The content is very hard to watch but the film itself is a piece of art.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 am

Watched the hobbit: desolation of smaug. Like the first, I really liked it. The love triangle between Legolas, She-Elf, and Kili is kind of annoying and unnecessary, but I got over it pretty fast. Scenes with Smaug are pretty impressive. Watched it with my kids (2,4,6) and this felt less like a kids movie than the first, Smaug terrified them all, but they are playing hobbit today, so they too enjoyed it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 am

Watched The Lives of Others this weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lives_of_Others

Aside from the story being real fascinating, it supposedly did a great job of recreating pre berlin wall collapse East Germany (from those that were there)
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 am

half way through pacific rim. surprisingly enjoyable so far
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 am

I'll have to rewtach Smaug, probably when the EE comes out, but I was somewhat disappointed with it. It's not a bad movie, but it was easily my least favorite of the 5 movies so far.

I felt like that movie took every single weak/ad point of Jackson's adaptations and put them on steroids.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 am

I consider myself to be a pretty big Tolkien fan (hands up those of you who have read the Silmarillion more than once....), but I have no desire to see the Hobbit movies.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 am

the wicked child wrote:I'll have to rewtach Smaug, probably when the EE comes out, but I was somewhat disappointed with it. It's not a bad movie, but it was easily my least favorite of the 5 movies so far.

I felt like that movie took every single weak/ad point of Jackson's adaptations and put them on steroids.

I pretty much agree with this. The Smaug scenes at the end made up a lot of the bad stuff for me. As much as I enjoy watching his world, I feel like the movie could have been a lot better without the Legoals/Tauriel stuff. I'll withhold final judgement to see where it all plays out, but it felt like they were forcing his blue eyes a little too hard on the audience.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 am

tifosi77 wrote:I consider myself to be a pretty big Tolkien fan (hands up those of you who have read the Silmarillion more than once....), but I have no desire to see the Hobbit movies.

I felt the same way, but remain pleasantly surprised after the first 2. It may be nostalgia for the other trilogy and the world Jackson created on screen, but I'm digging going back again (even though a lot of his additions remain the worst parts of the first 2 for me, they haven't ruined the movie).

Did you read The Children of Húrin? Not sure how much his son had to do with it, but I thought that was really good and would like to see that on the screen.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:11 am

watched Out of the Furnace. The not so feel good movie of the year! You'll need a few episodes of Full House after this one. Bleak and unsettling. Not a bad movie, but a tough one to enjoy. Woody Harrelson scares the hell out of me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:45 am

How good is Christoph Waltz in Django Unchained?

Spoiler:
So good.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR