Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 pm

One minute I'm pointing out FC44s hate of Rush and come back to 3 pages of awesome.

And no need for me to state my opinion. Froggy, getting to my game, shmenguin, and others said what I would have.

I will say plot holes only bother me in serious films. TDKR is a serious, albeit a superhero, movie. Watch Manborg. Its one giant plot hole of shenanigrams.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Were you saying "dance puppets dance" while you were reading it?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:20 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Were you saying "dance puppets dance" while you were reading it?

Actually yes.

And you said St anger was better than the black album. Can I pray foryou?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Karate Kid II final fight scene on Nick
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Well its more for the music thread but I actually dig it more. The black album is incredibly over played and at the very least St Anger was different. If you really want to split hairs...I think Load/Reload are better than both.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 pm

This won't nearly be the same scale of debate but, Karate Kid III > Karate Kid II
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:35 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:One minute I'm pointing out FC44s hate of Rush and come back to 3 pages of awesome.

And no need for me to state my opinion. Froggy, getting to my game, shmenguin, and others said what I would have.

I will say plot holes only bother me in serious films. TDKR is a serious, albeit a superhero, movie. Watch Manborg. Its one giant plot hole of shenanigrams.

+1 for Manborg
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm

David Goyer stated that he came up with screenplay for Man of Steel while taking a break from Dark Knight Rises. He took a break because he said he got writer's block while trying to figure out the third act of the movie and its painfully obvious when you watch it. Bruce getting back to Gotham is a massive plot hole that can't be overlooked.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:This won't nearly be the same scale of debate but, Karate Kid III > Karate Kid II

Yeah...
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:30 pm

karate kid 2 is really an unnecessary movie, as 3 carries on as a sequel to the events of the first one much better. It's almost like pt 2 is more like pt 1.5
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Aww we all agree....BEST FRIENDS!
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:48 am

I watched Paul yesterday. It was amusing.

When I go to xbox movies or xbox video or whatever it is, in "new releases", "most popular", and "featured", why would they have Lord of the G Strings in all of those categories? I am kind of surprised.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:09 am

meecrofilm wrote:
eddysnake wrote:has anyone seen Cloud Atlas?

Yes. Search feature is your friend :wink:

Here were my thoughts then, which haven't changed:

Cloud Atlas" was solid. Felt a little long, but not nearly as long as it actually was, since it keeps you pretty engaged throughout the whole thing. Contrary to what some have said, the themes and ideas the movie deals with aren't overly complex -- it's just the way they are presented that can trip you up. Even if the movie weren't good (and it is good), it's exciting in itself to watch something this extremely ambitious on screen, and it's shame it's not doing well at the box office. I love seeing directors take big risks like this, and it's something we don't see nearly enough.

To add to that -- Great score (read this before you watch, in regard to the score), great editing. I will definitely rewatch again, it's just a matter of finding the time -- pretty busy nowadays.

watched this over the weekend. I really liked it a lot. After the first 30 minutes, I thought I was going to be in trouble, but it all starts to come together so smoothly and really keeps you glued waiting to find out what happens next. It will definitely benefit from multiple viewings.

Spoiler:
I didn't read the link above before I watched it and the period when they were writing the cloud atlas was really the only one that I couldn't quite figure out the importance and connection with the other stories. In reading that now, I see they used different versions of the Cloud Atlas symphony throughout the other stories, is that it?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 am

watched This Is The End on saturday. It had some really funny parts, but overall was exactly what I expected... not too good.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:10 am

- I loved TDKR and I don't care what anyone else says about it.

- Loved MoS. Major departure from the tone of the other Superman movies, which is something it greatly needed.

Spoiler:
Lois Lane figuring out the truth about Clark Kent/Superman before he even revealed himself to the world was extremely unexpected, but was a change that I liked. Makes her seem like a competent, legitimate, Pulitzer Prize winning reporter and removes the ridiculous Clark Kent-Superman-Lois Lane love triangle.

farnham16 wrote:Its gotten many more positive than negative reviews, but most of the critics who are bashing the film just can't get over the fact that this isn't a Donner/Reeve Superman. They simply don't understand the state of comics or of Superman these days. When the Donner Superman movies came out, that was a very close representation of how Superman was being written back then. That was the right time for that kind of Superman. And they did a wonderful job with Superman 1 and 2. But you can't make a Superman like that in today's world. Today's audience cannot at all relate to that kind of Superman. These critics just do not understand that at all. Most seem to think Reeve's Superman is the ONLY Superman there is. Not surprising that they feel this way because they don't understand or even want to understand comics. This is just a new take on Superman that we haven't seen in movies before.

This movie took a lot from Superman: Birthright. I don't know if you are into comics but if you are pick this book up if you can. Very good origin story.

And if you want the ultimate Superman story, read Grant Morrison's All Star Superman. Its like the encyclopaedia of Superman. You'll understand him if you read it.

And in regards to your spoiler....Yes.

I'll have to check both of those out. I'm a big fan of comics, but superhero comics always turn too corny or ridiculous for me. My comic collection is largely built up of Preacher, Garth Ennis' run on Punisher MAX, 100 Bullets, DMZ, and the major Batman stories.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:14 am

I liked Punisher Max, preacher was amazing. I never liked 100 Bullets for some reason even though everyone I spoke with told me it was my kind of title. I kind of want to get back into comics. Marvel has that app that lets you read all of their titles, only they don't get released on it until 6 months late. If DC had something like that, I'd immediately get it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:26 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I liked Punisher Max, preacher was amazing. I never liked 100 Bullets for some reason even though everyone I spoke with told me it was my kind of title. I kind of want to get back into comics. Marvel has that app that lets you read all of their titles, only they don't get released on it until 6 months late. If DC had something like that, I'd immediately get it.

I think 100 Bullets lasted too long. I remember Punisher MAX and the "best" Batman books (A Death in the Family ruined superhero comics for me). Preacher is impossible to forget. For the life of me I can't remember what the hell happened in 100 Bullets.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:27 am

Froggy wrote:that being said, it was still better than prometheus

i've come around a little on prometheus. i think a lot of the plot holes are way overblown. for instance...
Spoiler:
-yes, she recovered too quick from the surgery, but it's the future. a robot does surgery. i think they've progressed on pain killer/muscle recovery technology as well

that's a movie where missing out on some exposition isn't a big deal, and even helps create a good mystique. i don't love having to go on the internet to fill in the plot, but i don't hate it either.

i actually think it would be a really, really good movie if there were just a couple fixes:
Spoiler:
-completely eliminate charlize theron's character
-get a better actor to play the jersey shore scientist
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:29 am

I actually loved the Darkness. Thats somethign I could probably get back into and catch up on reasonably quickly. I'm probably caught up through 2010 or so. Right after one run ended with Jackie blowing up and the next run started with him down in South America somewhere. I got like 5 issues into that before stopping reading. The problem with those books though is when an event happens you have to pick up witchblade and that book just weirds me out.

:pop: I think there is a comics thread somewhere. I should probably stop posting this here.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36156&hilit=Comics#p901261
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 am

shmenguin wrote:

i've come around a little on prometheus. i think a lot of the plot holes are way overblown. for instance...
Spoiler:
-yes, she recovered too quick from the surgery, but it's the future. a robot does surgery. i think they've progressed on pain killer/muscle recovery technology as well

that's a movie where missing out on some exposition isn't a big deal, and even helps create a good mystique. i don't love having to go on the internet to fill in the plot, but i don't hate it either.

i actually think it would be a really, really good movie if there were just a couple fixes:
Spoiler:

Every time I think about Prometheus I end up hating it more. I hate the changes they made to distance the move from Alien. I wish they would have kept Spaihts vision and told Damon Lindelof to f-off.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:33 am

i didn't treat it as a prequel to alien, so i didn't mind the loose relation at all.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:21 pm

MoS spoilers and thoughts:

Spoiler:
- So apparently there is a prequel comic that features Kara Zor-el (Supergirl) and involves her scout ship crash landing in the artic. Wonder if she'll eventually become part of the series (I hate sidekicks).

- Where do they take the story from here? I haven't put a ton of thought into how they will involve Batman and the rest of the DC characters in this universe (I would prefer a World's Finest movie before they venture into Justice League), but as far as Superman goes, I would have Lexcorp be the main corporation in the Metropolis rebuild, blah blah blah, Lex Luthor gets his hands on some Kryptonian technology and take it from there. Maybe even take a page from Brian Azzarello's "Luthor" and center his motivations around his distrust of the alien that has come to our world. Above all else, no real estate schemes.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:53 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

my biggest gripes are all based on specific lacks of character logic...

Spoiler:
if you're gonna have a character get lost, don't make it the guy with the elaborate 3d mapping system. if you're going to have a guy scared of the dead alien body, don't make it the biologist... stuff like that. plus, the whole thing is pretty flimsy start to finish
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Froggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
if you're gonna have a character get lost, don't make it the guy with the elaborate 3d mapping system. if you're going to have a guy scared of the dead alien body, don't make it the biologist... stuff like that. plus, the whole thing is pretty flimsy start to finish

i didn't mind that. i mean...i hated those 2 characters and thought they were excessively goofy. but having one incompetent guy and one guy scared of decapitated giants on the crew isn't so far fetched.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

i didn't mind that. i mean...i hated those 2 characters and thought they were excessively goofy. but having one incompetent guy and one guy scared of decapitated giants on the crew isn't so far fetched.

also, since we're talking about prometheus, i feel obligated to post this again...

Spoiler:
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR