Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 am

canaan wrote:Who's overrated?
Coens or Tarantino or both?

Coens. The Morozovs of Movies. Look great up until finishing time. Preposterously annoying waste of talent.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 am

How are the Coens overrated? Big Lebowski and No Country for Old Men deserve all the praise they get.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:36 am

i love coen brothers movies.

Raising Arizona is quality
Barton Fink is solid
Hudsucker Proxy is fantastic
Fargo, Big Lebowski both decent
O Brother is incredible
Ladykillers is great, underrated
No Country is fantastic
Burn After Reading wasnt very good
True Grit was great

and Inside Llewyn Davis and Suburbicon both show promise.

i dont get the hate.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 am

No love for "A Serious Man"?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 am

No Country For Old Men is as good as it gets.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 am

oh....and "Blood Simple" is required viewing.
Sooooooo creepy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 am

I saw the first five minutes. Then I fell asleep

No country for old men that is
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:44 am

columbia wrote:No love for "A Serious Man"?

I liked it, I just think No Country and Big Lebowski stand out as perfect use of film as an entertainment medium.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 am

columbia wrote:No love for "A Serious Man"?

i have actually never seen it, but just ordered it on amazon
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 am

canaan wrote:Burn After Reading wasnt very good

Yeah...I did not like that film.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 am

columbia wrote:

it was where the coen brothers' characters crossed the line from quirky/different to annoying. brad pitt aggravated me to no end. Clooney and Hanks can pull that level of weird off. Pitt not so much.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 am

Hobbit getting pretty underwhelming reviews by Peter Jackson's standards. Meanwhile, Zero Dark Thirty (surprisingly, to me anyway) seems to be gaining critical accolades thus far.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 am

I'm definitely concerned about the Hobbit. I'll see it of course, but I'm not exactly torn up that it won't be till after Xmas most likely.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:23 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Hobbit getting pretty underwhelming reviews by Peter Jackson's standards.

I think we're reaching a critical mass for franchises. PB's comments are the ones that make me think that. I would like to think that Peter Jackson has enough respect for the source material that when he makes a decision, such as splitting it into three films, he does it to tell the story in the most compelling way.

But with the way George Lucas handled the Star Wars special editions, the Clone Wars cartoon, the prequel trilogy, and Indiana Jones 4, I think a lot of cynicism has set in regarding the way these projects are approached.

I watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and I don't see anything more absurd or impossible than in any of the other movies, so whats not to like about it? I think people watched that with the bad taste of the Star Wars prequels in their minds - characters and places introduced for seemingly no other reason than to sell toys. Add to it just the idea that another movie is being made - in a franchise that for better or worse each movie followed the exact same formula - and it is not going to generate the positive reviews it would have 30 years ago.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Hobbit getting pretty underwhelming reviews by Peter Jackson's standards. Meanwhile, Zero Dark Thirty (surprisingly, to me anyway) seems to be gaining critical accolades thus far.

I saw one review comparing radagast the brown to Jar Jar binks and that scared me a bit. I'll be there, not sure if I'll seek out the 48fps or just watch it in 2D
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am

columbia wrote:

i dunno...i liked it

without any context, a young person saying kubrik is great and that the coen brothers are overrated sounds a bit pretentious.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:39 am

eddysnake wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Hobbit getting pretty underwhelming reviews by Peter Jackson's standards. Meanwhile, Zero Dark Thirty (surprisingly, to me anyway) seems to be gaining critical accolades thus far.

I saw one review comparing radagast the brown to Jar Jar binks and that scared me a bit. I'll be there, not sure if I'll seek out the 48fps or just watch it in 2D

you are LGP's jar jar binks.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:07 pm

The Hobbit reviews have been an interesting read so far. Lots of hate for the 48 FPS, mainly due how "fake" it makes the movie look. One thing that is very disappointing to me is that Orcs and Uruk-hai are no longer actors in this movie. Its all CGI, and apparently its very noticeable its CGI, with one review describing them as looking like they came straight out of a video game. Using actual actors in The Lord of the Rings gave it a "realistic" feel. They were frightening, imposing characters. The battles and sword fights actually took place. One review I read compared it to the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy for Star Wars. The excessive use of CGI in the prequel trilogy causes a major disconnect between the feel of the two series, and the same is happening here. The use of 48 FPS is causing Middle-Earth to no longer feel or look like the Middle-Earth from LOTR. The use of CGI instead of actual actors has removed the weight and realism from the action scenes. Seems like a poor decision for them to make regarding the production of this movie.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Yeah, I've heard complaints about the 48 FPS as well. I've even heard people saying it made them sick or gave them migraines just trying to watch it, and this is from avid LOTR fans.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:13 pm

canaan wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

you are LGP's jar jar binks.

not even sure what to say about that... that hurts
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:17 pm

canaan wrote:
columbia wrote:

it was where the coen brothers' characters crossed the line from quirky/different to annoying. brad pitt aggravated me to no end. Clooney and Hanks can pull that level of weird off. Pitt not so much.

The last scene in burn after reading at the CIA made up for the wierd/uninteresting first hour and a half or so.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 pm

columbia wrote:oh....and "Blood Simple" is required viewing.
Sooooooo creepy.

Awesome movie all around...until the puke ending.

The characters, stories and action are all just amazing. The endings make me sick.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:The Hobbit reviews have been an interesting read so far. Lots of hate for the 48 FPS, mainly due how "fake" it makes the movie look. One thing that is very disappointing to me is that Orcs and Uruk-hai are no longer actors in this movie. Its all CGI, and apparently its very noticeable its CGI, with one review describing them as looking like they came straight out of a video game. Using actual actors in The Lord of the Rings gave it a "realistic" feel. They were frightening, imposing characters. The battles and sword fights actually took place. One review I read compared it to the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy for Star Wars. The excessive use of CGI in the prequel trilogy causes a major disconnect between the feel of the two series, and the same is happening here. The use of 48 FPS is causing Middle-Earth to no longer feel or look like the Middle-Earth from LOTR. The use of CGI instead of actual actors has removed the weight and realism from the action scenes. Seems like a poor decision for them to make regarding the production of this movie.

Even before you got to it, the first thing I thought of was the original Star Wars trilogy vs the prequel. The battle scenes and just interaction in the original vs the prequel doesnt' even compare, the original felt "real".

I loved the LOTR trilogy because like you described, the orcs, etc were real actors and it just gave it a better sense of realism. It's amazing what you can do with CGI, and if you have a few characters that are CGI, just like that weird looking little dude in LOTR, or yoda in the prequel, it's fine, but when entire worlds are created and every character is CGI, I dont' like it.

Also read Ian McGregor actually cried a few times on set because he just couldn't take acting by himself in front of a green screen for almost the entire filming.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:16 pm

The Devil's Double is an extremely good movie. I enjoyed it as much as I guess you could watching Uday strut around doing what he willed with an enviable wardrobe.

Also, Ironclad was another good movie. Solid castle defense movie.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Can somebody please explain to me why everyone considers the Big Lebowski as a comedy classic? I thought it was terrible. I've seen it multiple times and still just find it shallow and pedantic.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR