Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 pm

nocera wrote:
Eismann wrote:Just saw the trailer for Django Unchained on MNF. It did not make me want to see it at all. In fact, I am now repulsed. I hope it's better than i expect/quote]

Why are you repulsed?

Because Jamie Foxx looks like the same wacky off beat character played a million times by unfunny hacks. And the rest of the characters and dialog stunk. And it had the intellectual stimulation of Mamma Mia. Or like whatever. l
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby legame on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Rylan wrote:He was also in Van Wilder

And was Maeby's assistant on Arrested Development.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Eismann wrote:
nocera wrote:
Eismann wrote:Just saw the trailer for Django Unchained on MNF. It did not make me want to see it at all. In fact, I am now repulsed. I hope it's better than i expect/quote]

Why are you repulsed?

Because Jamie Foxx looks like the same wacky off beat character played a million times by unfunny hacks. And the rest of the characters and dialog stunk. And it had the intellectual stimulation of Mamma Mia. Or like whatever. l

All that from a preview.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Eismann wrote:
nocera wrote:

Why are you repulsed?

All that from a preview.

Yes, it was that lobotomizingly stank.

:selfrefnotbraggin:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:42 pm

'Holy Motors.' Man, this movie was a trip. If it's about anything I'd venture it's kind of a collection of vignettes illustrating the life/career of an actor -- perhaps no coincidence the main character's name is Monsieur Oscar, except it's supposedly taking place in the real world. But that's only part of it, really. Definitely an "art film," but not one that plods along with no real direction like, say, Enter The Void. It holds your attention.

Denis Lavant was fantastic in the lead, and, though I don't listen to her music because, IMO, it's not good, Kylie Monigue is in it for a scene and it's one of the most memorable ones in the film.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Deck the Halls. Actually pretty good for what it is; a cheesy family Christmas movie. I still don't like Danny DeVito.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 am

Django unchained looks like Prometheus and TDKR, in that there's nothing that interesting in the commercials, except for the movie's pedigree
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 am

Lone Ranger
This looks like it could be a lot of fun
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:14 am

shmenguin wrote:Django unchained looks like Prometheus and TDKR, in that there's nothing that interesting in the commercials, except for the movie's pedigree

There's also nothing in the trailer to at all explain what the hell the movie is about.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 am

I'm not really a big QT fan. I see him as more a compiler of memorable moments than a filmmaker. I thought Inglorious Basturds was his best film.

for me, he's kind of in that same class as Kevin Smith in the sense that I recognize the importance of their films, particularly in defining the 1990s, but I just don't think they are particularly good film makers.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 am

Froggy wrote:I'm not really a big QT fan. I see him as more a compiler of memorable moments than a filmmaker. I thought Inglorious Basturds was his best film.

for me, he's kind of in that same class as Kevin Smith in the sense that I recognize the importance of their films, particularly in defining the 1990s, but I just don't think they are particularly good film makers.

He's polarizing, to be sure. I'm a huge QT fan. I thought IB was a strong concept overall, but I didn't care much for the characters outside of the lead. It's probably my least fave of his. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill are all pretty equally must-sees for me.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Eismann wrote:
Froggy wrote:I'm not really a big QT fan. I see him as more a compiler of memorable moments than a filmmaker. I thought Inglorious Basturds was his best film.

He's polarizing, to be sure. I'm a huge QT fan. I thought IB was a strong concept overall, but I didn't care much for the characters outside of the lead. It's probably my least fave of his. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill are all pretty equally must-sees for me.

I would agree with your assessment. I really liked the scene in Inglorious Basterds at the farm house with Christopher Walz and the woman hiding under the house. Typical Tarantino dialogue. The rest of the movie was meh. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs were the pinnacle, and his films have been on a downward slope since then, Kill Bill excepted.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 pm

i think thats a fair assessment, DG.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 pm

eddysnake wrote:
Lone Ranger
This looks like it could be a lot of fun

it better be...its budget is 215$ mil
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 pm

i remember when johnny depp used to play characters that you gave a crap about what happened to them. this seems like more of the low-stakes, smug, unlikeable a stuff he's been crapping out since the pirates franchise started.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Eismann wrote:

I would agree with your assessment. I really liked the scene in Inglorious Basterds at the farm house with Christopher Walz and the woman hiding under the house. Typical Tarantino dialogue. The rest of the movie was meh. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs were the pinnacle, and his films have been on a downward slope since then, Kill Bill excepted.

So... basically you didn't like Jackie Brown?

I couldn't get into Jackie Brown, either, though I'd like to give it another shot now that I'm older. Also, Death Proof is awful. But, other than that, I've loved his films. Especially, the first two, KB: Vol. 2, and Basterds. Nowadays, I tend to look at him as an amazing "homager" or "reappropriater." Yes, I realized neither of those things are words.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:20 pm

shmenguin wrote:i remember when johnny depp used to play characters that you gave a crap about what happened to them. this seems like more of the low-stakes, smug, unlikeable a stuff he's been crapping out since the pirates franchise started.

speaking of, the ninth gate is underrated.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm

i watched the bonus materials for the Dark Knight Rises yesterday.

when I first saw the Heinz Field shots in a trailer I thought "that looks more like Pitt vs Bowling Green than it does a pro game." I wondered why they didn't use digital people to fill out the stadium the way they did in Gladiator.

turns out they did do that. I wonder why they didn't use even more of them.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:23 pm

shmenguin wrote:i remember when johnny depp used to play characters that you gave a crap about what happened to them. this seems like more of the low-stakes, smug, unlikeable a stuff he's been crapping out since the pirates franchise started.

He would've been great in The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:24 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:i watched the bonus materials for the Dark Knight Rises yesterday.

when I first saw the Heinz Field shots in a trailer I thought "that looks more like Pitt vs Bowling Green than it does a pro game." I wondered why they didn't use digital people to fill out the stadium the way they did in Gladiator.

turns out they did do that. I wonder why they didn't use even more of them.

The Gotham Rogues are probably a terrible team that doesn't draw well.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:39 pm

nocera wrote:

He would've been great in The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

apparently Gilliam is still working on his, but Depp is no longer attached as he is working on his own Don Quixote flick...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 pm

nocera wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Eismann wrote:

I couldn't get into Jackie Brown, either, though I'd like to give it another shot now that I'm older. Also, Death Proof is awful. But, other than that, I've loved his films. Especially, the first two, KB: Vol. 2, and Basterds. Nowadays, I tend to look at him as an amazing "homager" or "reappropriater." Yes, I realized neither of those things are words.

I recently watched Jackie Brown and while it's not my favorite QT movie, I think it's probably up there as his best.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:56 pm

nocera wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Eismann wrote:

I used the word "complier" but yeah... That's pretty much my exact opinion.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:16 pm

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

I haven't seen Jackie Brown since it was in the theaters (!), so I'll have to revisit it to comment. I remember liking it at the time, but thinking it wasn't anywhere near Pulp Fiction. As for downward slope, I guess I meant the other movies he "presents" or produces.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR