Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:18 pm

RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, and Chris Evans aren't really small time :?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:20 pm

One Julia Roberts is bad enough, Hollywood shouldn't be looking for more.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:30 pm

Rylan wrote:RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, and Chris Evans aren't really small time :?

Lets see.

RJD prior to Iron Man was best known as the guy from Ally McBeal. His biggest film prior to Iron Man?

"Back to School" the Rodney Dangerfield movie, followed by Bowfinger, Due Date, and Natural Born Killers. The guy was not A-list. Known? Yes. Big time? Hardly.

ScarJo wasn't in a movie that made $100 million until Iron Man 2.

Evans before Captain American was best known as that guy from Not Another Teen Movie and Johnny Flame or whatever from the Fantastic 4. Prior to Cap Evans wasn't even considered to be a guy capable of being a leading man.

The Avengers universe made these people into the HUGE stars they are now.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:39 pm

how could priscila dump me... jake wyler?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:how could priscila dump me... jake wyler?

:fist:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Oh come on. Everyone and their brother had a... uh... [redacted] for Scarlett Johansson before the Avengers. Don't kid yourself.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Movie budgets have way outpaced inflation over the last ten or so years. Terminator 2 and Total Recall were the first two films to go over $100,000,000 right around 1990. Now its not uncommon for films to be well over $200,000,000.

Studios have started to notice that people don't care if Tom Cruise or Jim Carey is in the movie. So they don't want their inflated salaries.

People used to go see movies just because Tom Hanks or Harrison Ford were in them. If Flight (with Denzel Washington) were made in the mid or late 90s it would be a top five grossing movie of the year. People just don't care to see specific actors any more.

Even Steven Spielberg has lost a bit of his mojo. War Horse and Munich were definite money losers. I doubt War of the Worlds made money after they paid Tom Cruise something ridiculous like $100,000,000 to be in it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Rylan wrote:RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, and Chris Evans aren't really small time :?

Lets see.

RJD prior to Iron Man was best known as the guy from Ally McBeal. His biggest film prior to Iron Man?

"Back to School" the Rodney Dangerfield movie, followed by Bowfinger, Due Date, and Natural Born Killers. The guy was not A-list. Known? Yes. Big time? Hardly.

ScarJo wasn't in a movie that made $100 million until Iron Man 2.

Evans before Captain American was best known as that guy from Not Another Teen Movie and Johnny Flame or whatever from the Fantastic 4. Prior to Cap Evans wasn't even considered to be a guy capable of being a leading man.

The Avengers universe made these people into the HUGE stars they are now.

Huh? Due Date? Movie came out like a couple years ago.

He was well on his way to A-list status after being nominated in '92 for his performance in Chaplin, but obviously his career got derailed by things not at all related to his ability to carry a movie. Not gonna argue that Iron Man capped off his comeback though.

And come on, ScarJo's celebrity profile was already ridiculously high before Iron Man 2, regardless of her movie career, so I think you need to draw a line between the two. Plus, The Prestige grossed over $100 mil. -- unless you're only talkin about US gross, in which case your list will be quite small.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:48 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Oh come on. Everyone and their brother had a... uh... [redacted] for Scarlett Johansson before the Avengers. Don't kid yourself.

People had [redacted] for ScarJo because of her huge pair of [redacted] not because of her acting. Prior to Iron Man 2 she was in such awesome films as,

He's just not that into you
The nanny diaries
The island (which I liked but it was not well received)
Eight legged freaks
Home Alone 3

I mean with a resume like that I can see why you think she was a huge star. Sorry for the sarcasm but she like RJD was not in anyway an A lister prior to the Avengers universe.

Edit: Sorry missed the Prestige which did well but the focus was on it starring Wolverine and Batman.

Oh and oops on Due Date although it coming out in 2010 and being one of RJD's highest grossing films just makes more of my point that the Avengers universe vaulted him in the A-list.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:05 pm

The linked article about Will Smith isn't about him so much as it is about Ryan Reynolds as The Green Lantern.

It makes the case that although he's been well known and has been in a few hit movies in the last ten years, people don't go see movies because he is in them.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:35 pm

ScarJo was also in Lost in Translation, which grossed about 10 times it's budget, but I digress. I realize she wasn't the lead in that as well.

Again, for these people I'm going more by celebrity profile than how much the movies they're in gross. I agree that people are seeing movies less now because of who is in them than before, but it still matters a lot to a pretty good extent.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Julia Roberts?
eeek...I always thought she looked like a transvestite.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_u ... 80_800.jpg
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:58 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:did anyone else realize that wallowitz from big bang theory was in old school?

Really?
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:The linked article about Will Smith isn't about him so much as it is about Ryan Reynolds as The Green Lantern.

It makes the case that although he's been well known and has been in a few hit movies in the last ten years, people don't go see movies because he is in them.

I go to see movies because Daniel Day-Lewis is in them. Christian Bale is a distant 2nd in that regard
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Daniel Day-Lewis makes me want to see whatever movie he is in. Russell Crowe is the only other actor whose movies I will see no matter what (for the most part)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I don't think Scarlett Johansson is interested in becoming the next Julia Roberts.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 pm

canaan wrote:that looks really bad to me.

I'm just looking at the still shot in that imbedded youtube video and I agree.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:08 pm

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:RJD prior to Iron Man was best known as the guy from Ally McBeal. His biggest film prior to Iron Man?

The guy had dozens of films to his name before he was ever on Ally McBeal, never mind Iron Man. He has two Academy Award nominations. I will grant you that he wasn't A-list. But he was definitely big time.

If anything, he was known as the coked out freak who broke into people's homes and fell asleep naked in their beds.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Weird Science...although he was a smaller character but was known.

And it's RDJ, not RJD.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:32 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:RJD prior to Iron Man was best known as the guy from Ally McBeal. His biggest film prior to Iron Man?

The guy had dozens of films to his name before he was ever on Ally McBeal, never mind Iron Man. He has two Academy Award nominations. I will grant you that he wasn't A-list. But he was definitely big time.

If anything, he was known as the coked out freak who broke into people's homes and fell asleep naked in their beds.

Haha was speaking specifically career wise but your description is def. more accurate.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 am

i saw Lincoln tonight. it was pretty good...

Spoiler:
i have 2 gripes...
1. the opening 20 minutes or so has some extremely bad, klunky, dialogue where they try to cram a whole lot of exposition in.
2. i know it made sense in terms of telling an interesting story, but i thought it was kind of silly to play up the suspense in the results of the vote on the 13th amendment.

other than that, and a few minor issues with the pacing, i really enjoyed it. Daniel Day Lewis is a total chameleon. his performance is extremely good. that being said, the stuff having to do directly with lincoln didnt interest me nearly as much as all the behind the scenes stuff trying to win the 20 votes. Hell, i could have watched james spader and crew for 2 hours. that would have been a great movie.

it almost seems like there were 2 different films here... A historical recounting of maybe the most important year in American political history, and an intimate profile of what Abraham Lincoln was like as a man, with all the legend stripped away. i felt like these 2 concepts were fighting with eachother, and whenever one was featured, i found myself missing the other one.

but great performances, great attention to detail... it was a 2 and a half hour historical epic that held my attention. that's a lot for me.

also, there were a crap ton of people in this movie. Pretty sure i Saw Dann Florek, the chief on Law and Order SVU in the background at the end of the movie. I wonder if it was him as sort of a shout out to when he played Lincoln in The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer, or it was just a dude who looked a lot like dann florek.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:56 pm

L'Appartement (Cassel & Bellucci). Didn't think I'd be the kind for 'romantic suspense', but this was excellent. To be expected, I suppose, with Cassel. Got a bit complicated at the end, but managed to keep the momentum built up throughout.

9/10.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Just watched The Dark Knight... I hadn't watched it in quite some time. The one thing this movie has that the other two do not is a truly compelling villain. The closest thing would maybe be the Scarecrow in BB, but it's not on the same level. While I like the other 2 movies, I just can't imagine enjoying them as much or more than this one.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Yea the Joker was without a doubt the only villain worth having on screen. But, I consider the Joker to be the only true arch nemesis of Batman. Everyone else is just filler until the next battle with the Maniacal Clown.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR