Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Director knew what he was doing then :pop:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

canaan wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Also, saw a preview for this before The Impossible last night. Man, what a weird looking movie.

definitely weird. and kidman is hard to look at.

that's Chan-wook Parks (oldboy) first venture into English cinema, can't wait, looks bizarre!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:29 pm

God help me... Going to see Texas Chainsaw 3-D tomorrow night... why do i keep doing things like this to myself?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:09 pm

You enjoy inflicting mental anguish upon yourself? :P
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

And continuing the string of good trailers I saw last night... this one looks like it'll be one of the more entertaining movies of the year

And excited about this for a variety of reasons:

meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 pm

2013 Oscar nominees have been released.

The biggest surprise is Kathryn Bigelow not being nominated for Best Director for "Zero Dark Thirty". The biggest non-surprise, "The Hobbit" was only nominated for technical awards like makeup and VFX.

The second biggest non-surprise, "Prometheus" was not a Best Picture nominee.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:45 pm

tifosi77 wrote:2013 Oscar nominees have been released.

The biggest surprise is Kathryn Bigelow not being nominated for Best Director for "Zero Dark Thirty".

do you think that was bigger than Afleck not getting one for Argo? How about Benh Zeitlin sneaking in there for Beasts of Southern Wild, which has to give it legs for best picture (deservingly so imo)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:48 pm

eddysnake wrote:

The biggest surprise is Kathryn Bigelow not being nominated for Best Director for "Zero Dark Thirty".

do you think that was bigger than Afleck not getting one for Argo? How about Benh Zeitlin sneaking in there for Beasts of Southern Wild, which has to give it legs for best picture (deservingly so imo)

You guys watch weird movies.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Affleck was surprising, but not a shocker. That Bigelow was left out in the rain is a pretty big deal.

Some people are crying foul, because this year nominations were made online..... and there were all kinds of problems and glitches with the system AMPAS used. They even had to extend the deadline by a week to accommodate people who had been unable to cast a vote.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:58 pm

newarenanow wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

You guys watch weird movies.

maybe, but some are very incredible (and I'd say Froggy watches some weird movies). I highly suggest every single person on this board to check out "Beasts of the Southern Wild", it was one of the most incredible films I've seen in years.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:02 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Affleck was surprising, but not a shocker. That Bigelow was left out in the rain is a pretty big deal.

Some people are crying foul, because this year nominations were made online..... and there were all kinds of problems and glitches with the system AMPAS used. They even had to extend the deadline by a week to accommodate people who had been unable to cast a vote.

Afleck was actually more surprising to me -- at least with ZDT there was a whole string of controversey around some of it, mainly
Spoiler:
a brutal torture scene which leads them to finding out Bin Laden's whereabouts, where in reality higher ranking political figures (McCain, for instance, no stranger to torture) stated that the torture actually did not yield any results in the hunt
Which to me shouldn't be a reason for discrediting anything to do with the movie, but I guess is understandable enough if you're looking for some sort of reason.

Anyways, the biggest surprise to me was John Hawkes not getting a best actor nod for The Sessions -- I thought he was a lock for one, though that was since I didn't think they'd nominate Phoenix (though I think in a just world he'd be neck and neck with DDL, he was that good) after he verbally crapped on the ceremony. Can't argue with Cooper and Jackman though, all were solid.

Biggest head scratcher is Flight getting an original screenplay. Huh? And I really thought Cloud Atlas deserved recognition for its original score, it really is brilliant, much more so than, say, that of Skyfall, but oh well. Nothing strikes me as "technical foulplay" however.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Yeah, I definitely watch weird movies.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Affleck was surprising, but not a shocker. That Bigelow was left out in the rain is a pretty big deal.

Afleck was actually more surprising to me -- at least with ZDT there was a whole string of controversey around some of it, mainly
Spoiler:
a brutal torture scene which leads them to finding out Bin Laden's whereabouts, where in reality higher ranking political figures (McCain, for instance, no stranger to torture) stated that the torture actually did not yield any results in the hunt
Which to me shouldn't be a reason for discrediting anything to do with the movie, but I guess is understandable enough if you're looking for some sort of reason.

Anyways, the biggest surprise to me was John Hawkes not getting a best actor nod for The Sessions -- I thought he was a lock for one, though that was since I didn't think they'd nominate Phoenix (though I think in a just world he'd be neck and neck with DDL, he was that good) after he verbally crapped on the ceremony. Can't argue with Cooper and Jackman though, all were solid.

Biggest head scratcher is Flight getting an original screenplay. Huh? And I really thought Cloud Atlas deserved recognition for its original score, it really is brilliant, much more so than, say, that of Skyfall, but oh well. Nothing strikes me as "technical foulplay" however.

"Argo" was not immune to cries of 'artistic license' altering historical fact, either. (Particularly the way the film portrays the roles of the Canadian, New Zealand and British diplomats vs the contributions they actually made to the rescue effort.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:27 pm

Froggy wrote:Yeah, I definitely watch weird movies.

some may even say that you have bad taste?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:36 pm

tifosi77 wrote:"Argo" was not immune to cries of 'artistic license' altering historical fact, either. (Particularly the way the film portrays the roles of the Canadian, New Zealand and British diplomats vs the contributions they actually made to the rescue effort.)

True, though they weren't as scathing as those of ZDT were -- certainly, the event itself isn't as high profile as the Bin Laden hunt simply due to timeliness if nothing else. But I think we're splitting hairs at this point.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

The only movie I've seen getting any Oscar attention is Lincoln. Usually I see at least 2 or 3 legit movies a year, but none of those do anything for me.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Froggy wrote:The only movie I've seen getting any Oscar attention is Lincoln. Usually I see at least 2 or 3 legit movies a year, but none of those do anything for me.

Did you see The Pirates! Band of Misfits? It was awesome
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:"Argo" was not immune to cries of 'artistic license' altering historical fact, either. (Particularly the way the film portrays the roles of the Canadian, New Zealand and British diplomats vs the contributions they actually made to the rescue effort.)

True, though they weren't as scathing as those of ZDT were -- certainly, the event itself isn't as high profile as the Bin Laden hunt simply due to timeliness if nothing else. But I think we're splitting hairs at this point.

Then again, Affleck actually changed the post-script to the film in response to the harsh criticism that had been levied, especially from the Canadians.

But I do agree that such things should not detract from the artistic merits of the film. We're talking about movies, after all, not documentaries.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:55 pm

tifosi77 wrote: not documentaries.

speaking of, has anyone watched "jiro dreams of sushi"? its streaming on netflix and amazon, what an interesting documentary.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Argo lost points, for me, with that derp-ish car chase at the end. It screamed "Hollywood melodrama" while I watched it in the theater, and after checking the history behind it, they weren't chased at all.

It was still a great film though.

I thought Skyfall might get some love, but didn't happen.
Last edited by Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

whats the difference between sound mixing and sound editing
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:whats the difference between sound mixing and sound editing

tifosi77 for $500
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I thought Skyfall might get some love, but didn't happen.

Have Bond movies ever competed for Oscars? I can't recall them ever winning.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Not to my knowledge, but there were rumblings that this might be the first - for major trophies, not technical awards.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Not to my knowledge, but there were rumblings that this might be the first - for major trophies, not technical awards.

Javier Bardem got some love with SAG and BAFTA noms I believe for supporting actor. That was about it though.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR