Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:16 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Some of the highest attended movies of all time are musicals - more people saw the Sound of Music and Mary Poppins than Avatar and the Avengers.


Speaking of Sound of Music, I thought the Von Trapp bit in the Oscars was great. Overall, not the disaster people thought it would be with MacFarlane hosting, although obviously with Oscar broadcasts you're measuring them on a "how much do they not suck" and not a "how good are they" scale. This one definitely sucked less than the last couple ones.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 pm

i don't get the whole jennifer lawrence thing either. i haven't seen winter's bone or silver linings playbook, but i thought she was pretty bland in The Hungry Games, and downright awful in X Men: First Class.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,988
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Is she like because she is considered a good actress or because she is attractive. By hollywood standards, I don't think she is either.


She has the girl next door look in my opinion. She isn't a 10, but I think that is why people find her attractive.

As for her acting, I have only seen 2 films of hers (X-Men First Class and The Hunger Games) and I wouldn't have considered her Oscar material for those films, but I did not see the one that she won Best Actress for. So *shrugs*


Definitely recommend Silver Linings Playbook. I'm stealing this line from someone, but it's the best sports movie ever made that doesn't show a single second of actual sports being played.

And yeah, I think part of the appeal with Lawrence is she has a pretty normal/funny disposition, and doesn't really adhere to the regular code for celebrity behavior in her interviews and whatnot. For instance, on the red carpet last night she was asked "Tell us about the pieces you're wearing" And she said something along the lines of, "What do you mean? Like this is the top... and this is the bottom..."

And I think she's talented too. She was great in Winter's Bone, though I didn't really care for that movie, and I think she desreved her win last night as well. Idoit40, I dunno what you don't see in her, but she's smoking hot in Silver Linings, IMO.


Again, Its not that she's unattractive, its that she's pedestrian within the context of hollywood actresses. I don't understand why she stands out from others.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Movie

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Again, Its not that she's unattractive, its that she's pedestrian within the context of hollywood actresses. I don't understand why she stands out from others.

It's the Zooey Deshcahananell (sp?) theorem. Just because normal guys think they can hump you does not mean you're hot.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,466
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Movie

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Froggy wrote:i don't get the whole jennifer lawrence thing either. i haven't seen winter's bone or silver linings playbook, but i thought she was pretty bland in The Hungry Games, and downright awful in X Men: First Class.

Well, you should see those first two movies. My guess is that she shines in low budget, performance-based roles rather than overblown hype CGI monsters.

Part of the attraction is that she is relatively normal acting - humble, funny, and so on. She isn't fake and whatever is wrong with Anne Hathaway. But she's young and hasn't been in Hollywood very long.

Oh yeah, and this:

Image
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,350
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Movie

Postby canaan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCbLlEcfiA

this is why shes liked, imo. shes loving the moment shes in and is just happy to be famous. shes not some egocentric maniac (yet?) that most of hollywood is portrayed as nowadays. shes a good looking chick. shes not a super model, but who cares?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,254
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:13 am
Location: H2S

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 pm

I guess I get the appeal, but I don't get the critical acclaim. But like I said, I haven't seen the movie she was nominated for.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,988
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:02 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:The Producers on Broadway was without a doubt the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life and he movie version just didn't make me laugh as much.

Which is odd, because the musical play is based off of a (non-musical) film.

meecrofilm wrote:Speaking of Sound of Music, I thought the Von Trapp bit in the Oscars was great.

"They are gone!"

:lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm

I wish, just once, when asked who she's wearing, a starlet would look seriously at the interviewer and reply, "Frederica Bimmel" and walk away.

#itputsthelotiononitsskin
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,813
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Ang Lee celebrates oscar win

Spoiler:
In-N-Out Burger
Image


watched Jurassic Park 3, I like it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,635
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Haha, that's awesome.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45 pm

blackjack68 wrote:I wish, just once, when asked who she's wearing, a starlet would look seriously at the interviewer and reply, "Frederica Bimmel" and walk away.

#itputsthelotiononitsskin

Was she a great big fat person?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Movie

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm

canaan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCbLlEcfiA

this is why shes liked, imo. shes loving the moment shes in and is just happy to be famous. shes not some egocentric maniac (yet?) that most of hollywood is portrayed as nowadays. shes a good looking chick. shes not a super model, but who cares?


That video was great.

The bolded may actually be the appeal for her, too. She's "natural" to certain people who are turned off by the wafer-thin actresses who rely on photoshop, etc. to look "hot".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,540
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Movie

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 pm

I like think actresses. Keira Knightly is yummy IMO.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,088
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Movie

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Rylan wrote:I like think actresses. Keira Knightly is yummy IMO.


I mean, I'm not complaining either, but I've seen the sentiment I mentioned above as a reason why people are all about Jennifer Lawrence.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,540
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Movie

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 pm

lol think actresses...i am an idiot haha
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,088
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 pm

eddysnake wrote:Ang Lee celebrates oscar win

Spoiler:
In-N-Out Burger
Image

I shared this on FB, and immediately got two comments from friends who are in the VFX industry. "Did he thank the guy who cooked it?", and "Did he at least share it with the VFX artists he forgot to thank?"

Spoiler:
"No need to thank these guys Ang..."
Image

Same friend shared this image with the caption "Best Cinematography"
Image
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:I wish, just once, when asked who she's wearing, a starlet would look seriously at the interviewer and reply, "Frederica Bimmel" and walk away.

#itputsthelotiononitsskin

Was she a great big fat person?


I knew I liked you.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,813
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:52 pm

I'll never blame someone for forgetting to thank someone when they're up there after winning, especially when it's somewhat unexpected and you're always on the clock to be as quick as possible.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Movie

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 am

I just realized The Last Exorcism II is a direct sequel to The Last Exorcism which

Spoiler:
Wasn't bad in the found film way until the very end where she gives birth to a demon baby? WTF. Now she's apparently found but still possessed but there's not mention of the demon baby. Are we all just supposed to forget about that terrible twist ending to an otherwise legit spooky movie? What the heck?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,466
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:50 am

meecrofilm wrote:I'll never blame someone for forgetting to thank someone when they're up there after winning, especially when it's somewhat unexpected and you're always on the clock to be as quick as possible.

Yeah, there have been people who have forgotten to thank their spouses in the heat of the moment. But this one feels a little different. There was a protest going on outside the theater (400 VFX artists), the topic has been in the industry news a lot lately, the head of the VFX house which created the world of Pi was cut off by the "Jaws" theme 90 minutes prior to Lee getting his statue.

Ang Lee said before the Oscars, “I would like [VFX] to be cheaper and not a tough business [for VFX vendors]." Yet by all accounts, shady business practices are artificially driving the cost of VFX well below their fair market value...... it's already far cheaper than it should be, given the amount of research and development needed to deliver the required levels of visual fidelity.

An Open Letter to Ang Lee
Incidentally, those were the same gorgeous sunsets and vistas that your DP Claudio Miranda took credit for without so much as a word of thanks to those artists. And the same animated performances that helped win you the best director statue. Nice of you to mention the pool crew, but maybe you could have thanked the guys and gals who turned that pool in to an ocean and put a tiger in to that boat?


This current turmoil hints at a much deeper problem at the core of the movie making business in the 21st century -- Traditional roles are being marginalized to a great degree. Look at the picture I posted earlier: when Claudio Miranda shot that scene of the boat, almost nothing by way of the lighting in his original shot made it to the final frame of film. But he gets the Oscar. And when the man who runs the company that effectively put itself out of business to get that man an Oscar begins talking about the plight of the modern effects house..... he was played off by Jaws.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am

Some critics skewer MacFarlane, but Oscars' ratings up
But one thing MacFarlane's critics can't say is that he tanked the ship. Sunday night's show brought in a U.S. audience of 40.3 million, up one million or 3 percent from the 2012 broadcast for the biggest Oscar audience in three years, according to Nielsen data.

In fact, MacFarlane did exactly what producers probably hoped he would, which is goose viewership among the most coveted demo, young men and people aged 18-49, with the latter up 11 percent over last year and viewership among men 18-34 up 34 percent.

Altho, to be fair, last year's Oscars aired up against the NBA All-Star Game.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:07 am

And I just found our that Rhythm & Hues is located in El Segundo, about a mile from my office. Didn't know they were that local.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 am

tifosi77 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:I'll never blame someone for forgetting to thank someone when they're up there after winning, especially when it's somewhat unexpected and you're always on the clock to be as quick as possible.

Yeah, there have been people who have forgotten to thank their spouses in the heat of the moment. But this one feels a little different. There was a protest going on outside the theater (400 VFX artists), the topic has been in the industry news a lot lately, the head of the VFX house which created the world of Pi was cut off by the "Jaws" theme 90 minutes prior to Lee getting his statue.

Ang Lee said before the Oscars, “I would like [VFX] to be cheaper and not a tough business [for VFX vendors]." Yet by all accounts, shady business practices are artificially driving the cost of VFX well below their fair market value...... it's already far cheaper than it should be, given the amount of research and development needed to deliver the required levels of visual fidelity.

An Open Letter to Ang Lee
Incidentally, those were the same gorgeous sunsets and vistas that your DP Claudio Miranda took credit for without so much as a word of thanks to those artists. And the same animated performances that helped win you the best director statue. Nice of you to mention the pool crew, but maybe you could have thanked the guys and gals who turned that pool in to an ocean and put a tiger in to that boat?


This current turmoil hints at a much deeper problem at the core of the movie making business in the 21st century -- Traditional roles are being marginalized to a great degree. Look at the picture I posted earlier: when Claudio Miranda shot that scene of the boat, almost nothing by way of the lighting in his original shot made it to the final frame of film. But he gets the Oscar. And when the man who runs the company that effectively put itself out of business to get that man an Oscar begins talking about the plight of the modern effects house..... he was played off by Jaws.


Don't the VFX teams bid out for these projects essentially putting themselves into these positions? I don't doubt that this is a serious issue, but I'd worry less about what Ang Lee said and more about the VFX industry with technology being where it is today. That was a dick move by the academy producers though.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,635
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 am

The Wrestler. Really liked it. Roarke did a tremendous job. And I have a renewed respect for M. Tomei's goodies.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,178
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:14 am
Location: The tundra of human rights

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dickie Dunn, OutofFoil and 9 guests


e-mail