Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby npv708 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:52 am

There were so many things that were wrong with Drive.

Dialogue straight out of a twilight film (Gosling showed about the same amount of emotion as Kristen Stewart), multiple and pretty deep plot holes, no consistency of characteristics of the people in the film (ie. Gosling talks pretty extensively in the one scene in the beginning, barely says a word in the rest of the film), zero character development/backstory (So he moved to LA 6 years ago, great, why should I care), and just being way too darn slow (the scenes of action were good, everything else was brutal).

Maybe my expectations were out of whack with what it actually is.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:53 am

Froggy wrote:If you didn't lie Drive, you should just stop watching movies and go live in a cave, and lick rocks for nourishment

I'd say its quite the opposite. I didn't like Drive because I don't live in a cave and have seen actual quality movies.

:slug:
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:58 am

Did you like Taxi Driver npv?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 am

In the case of "npv vs everyone else in the world" re: drive...the jury didn't take long to figure out the verdict
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:01 pm

shmenguin wrote:In the case of "npv vs everyone else in the world" re: drive...the jury didn't take long to figure out the verdict

I'll stick to my strong belief that popular does not always equal "good."
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:08 pm

I don't get it. Goslings character was supposed to be played that way lol
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

npv708 wrote:There were so many things that were wrong with Drive.

Dialogue straight out of a twilight film (Gosling showed about the same amount of emotion as Kristen Stewart), multiple and pretty deep plot holes, no consistency of characteristics of the people in the film (ie. Gosling talks pretty extensively in the one scene in the beginning, barely says a word in the rest of the film), zero character development/backstory (So he moved to LA 6 years ago, great, why should I care), and just being way too darn slow (the scenes of action were good, everything else was brutal).

The movie wasn't very good. Visuals yeah good, music yeah good, story bad, acting bad, development bad. I already went over this earlier in the thread. It's not a very good film.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
npv708 wrote:There were so many things that were wrong with Drive.

The movie wasn't very good. Visuals yeah good, music yeah good, story bad, acting bad, development bad. I already went over this earlier in the thread. It's not a very good film.

Haven't you heard...everyone else in the world has already decided that this movie was awesome.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:28 pm

New expert witness

Jury unphased
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:33 pm

lol.

I do have to admit, there was one thing I liked about the movie.

Spoiler:
I gotta get me one of these.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:00 pm

The jacket was pretty sweet. I was considering being "Driver" for Halloween.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Rylan wrote:The jacket was pretty sweet. I was considering being "Driver" for Halloween.

Yeah, but then you'd have to walk around and not talk to people and just stare and smirk at them. Then at the end of the night, you have to take someone else's mask and put it on...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:06 pm

I really liked Drive. It's not one of my top movies of all time or anything, but I think it's very good. I thought the whole point of the movie was the scorpion and the frog parable.

Spoiler:
Basically, the actions of all the people in the movie were dictated by their fundamental characters/identities. Ryan Gosling's character drove and beat the crap out of people. There was no way Ryan Gosling could have ended up with Carey Mulligan, because it's simply not his character. Ron Perlman's character was a gangster with a short temper, who was prone to imprudent actions. Al Brooks was the very methodical, prudent gangster, etc. I took the film to be a stylish meditation on the way in which our basic character determines our actions more than we like to admit and how irreconcilable conflicts emerge because of this.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Slowly starting to work my way through the Bond collection. Watched Dr. No last weekend; watched From Russia With Love and Goldfinger this weekend. Going to take quite awhile to get through this thing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:23 pm

the wicked child wrote:Slowly starting to work my way through the Bond collection. Watched Dr. No last weekend; watched From Russia With Love and Goldfinger this weekend. Going to take quite awhile to get through this thing.

Me and the Mrs. (before she officially became the Mrs.) did this and it was awesome. We stopped once we got to Pierce, since we've already saw all of them.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am

Drive wasn't anything special. I watched Paycheck this weekend, it was not as good as I remembered. I also watched Constantine, but got interrupted half way through. I have seen it before, but was still annoyed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 am

Skyfall was awesome, really liked it.

Wreck it ralph was pretty good, the 2 main female characters came in and out of annoying a lot.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 am

eddysnake wrote:Skyfall was awesome, really liked it.

Wreck it ralph was pretty good, the 2 main female characters came in and out of annoying a lot.

We are seeing this movie soon, and I was very worried that Sarah Silverman and/or Jane Lynch's characters would grate on my nerves.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:18 am

Do either of those two play characters? I thought they were just themselves when they "acted", they're always the same.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 am

One neat thing about the James Bond films is that you can see their importance to the action movie genre develop over time.

The underwater fight scene in Thunderball for instance is one of the first large scale stunt/effects scenes. Before the later 1960s the majority of Hollywood stunt work was in Westerns. You see over time how car chases evolved from a mix of sped up footage and rear projection to what you see in Goldeneye and Die Another Day.

Drive I just thought was really cool. Its just a rare movie that I watch and like a lot more than I expected to. I haven't been that into a movie not knowing how it would end in a very long time. Plus the production design was fantastic.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:30 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Skyfall was awesome, really liked it.

We are seeing this movie soon, and I was very worried that Sarah Silverman and/or Jane Lynch's characters would grate on my nerves.

Sarah Silverman was worse for me, it felt like she would start to go off on her own thing, but then remember it's PG and substitute ridiculous kid language thats not funny at all, but then go back to the character she was supposed to play. I really liked the whole idea of the movie and it was fun to pick out all the old school characters, but because of those 2 ladies, it took me in and out of what could have been a really great movie instead of the good one I watched.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:31 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Do either of those two play characters? I thought they were just themselves when they "acted", they're always the same.

this is true, but their translation to PG didn't work so well (at least for S. Silverman)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:06 am

i thought sarah silverman came off as "cute" in wreck-it ralph. jane lynch annoys me all of the time.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 am

eddysnake wrote:
it felt like she would start to go off on her own thing, but then remember it's PG and substitute ridiculous kid language thats not funny at all, but then go back to the character she was supposed to play.

"move your molasses" or something to that effect...i didnt care for that because if i heard my kid say it--thats a spankin'
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 am

canaan wrote:i thought sarah silverman came off as "cute" in wreck-it ralph. jane lynch annoys me all of the time.

I did as well, but also annoying, and then it went back and forth.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR