Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:01 pm

eddysnake wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
eddysnake wrote:has anyone seen Cloud Atlas?

Yes. Search feature is your friend :wink:

Here were my thoughts then, which haven't changed:

Cloud Atlas" was solid. Felt a little long, but not nearly as long as it actually was, since it keeps you pretty engaged throughout the whole thing. Contrary to what some have said, the themes and ideas the movie deals with aren't overly complex -- it's just the way they are presented that can trip you up. Even if the movie weren't good (and it is good), it's exciting in itself to watch something this extremely ambitious on screen, and it's shame it's not doing well at the box office. I love seeing directors take big risks like this, and it's something we don't see nearly enough.

To add to that -- Great score (read this before you watch, in regard to the score), great editing. I will definitely rewatch again, it's just a matter of finding the time -- pretty busy nowadays.

watched this over the weekend. I really liked it a lot. After the first 30 minutes, I thought I was going to be in trouble, but it all starts to come together so smoothly and really keeps you glued waiting to find out what happens next. It will definitely benefit from multiple viewings.

Spoiler:
I didn't read the link above before I watched it and the period when they were writing the cloud atlas was really the only one that I couldn't quite figure out the importance and connection with the other stories. In reading that now, I see they used different versions of the Cloud Atlas symphony throughout the other stories, is that it?

Spoiler:
Yeah, the theme is worked in troughout the score pretty geniusly. I think it's mostly for movie-continuity purposes of sorts, but I need to watch it again, since it's something I really wasn't listening for the first time.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:MoS spoilers and thoughts:

Spoiler:
- So apparently there is a prequel comic that features Kara Zor-el (Supergirl) and involves her scout ship crash landing in the artic. Wonder if she'll eventually become part of the series (I hate sidekicks).

- Where do they take the story from here? I haven't put a ton of thought into how they will involve Batman and the rest of the DC characters in this universe (I would prefer a World's Finest movie before they venture into Justice League), but as far as Superman goes, I would have Lexcorp be the main corporation in the Metropolis rebuild, blah blah blah, Lex Luthor gets his hands on some Kryptonian technology and take it from there. Maybe even take a page from Brian Azzarello's "Luthor" and center his motivations around his distrust of the alien that has come to our world. Above all else, no real estate schemes.

Spoiler:
I think they have said they are going on the trillogy route. If true I like where you are going with this somewhat. Here is what I would like to see. For the second movie you introduce Lex Luthor as a good guy and have a character arc of him turning in to the villian for the 3rd movie. On those lines I would like to see braniac come in to play as the second villian with all of the space ships that were used in the first movie. Just a thought thats all.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Its not happening this way given the time frames for movies, but it would be sweet if they set up a storyline as

MoS
Justice League
MoS2
Worlds Finest
MoS3

With the worlds finest storyline being a red sun movie that immediately follows MoS2 largely has superman and batman working towards the end of resolving the sun issue and bridging right into MoS3.

I just don't see how a World's Finest movie can involve a storyline in which Superman isn't depowered. In order to level the playing field between the two, you need to have the comics panels or text explaining what Batman is doing which can't really be done on film. When he's just a fighter, he is pointless with Superman around. This would also serve to breed the mutual level of respect between the two and would allow for Batman to be a lot more aloof in the majority of the Justice League movie.

Just my thoughts on what I think would be a cool way to unfold the story.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Man of Steel 2 is next. Its already under way. After that I'd go World's Finest, MoS 3, then Justice League. Justice League is going to be so complex that I think WB and DC need to really take their time with it.

Here is what I think would be a good idea for MoS 2:

Introducing Lex Luthor. He can be the guy who isn't yet known to be evil and he's trying to convince the world how dangerous Superman is and that he can't be trusted after seeing all the destruction in the first movie. Whatever they do, they have to have Lex as the brilliant genius scientist that he is in the comics. And it would be awesome to have Brainiac as the other bad guy.
Last edited by farnham16 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:39 pm

My biggest concern with a JLA movie is that outside of Superman and Batman, the rest of the characters suck/WB will probably screw them up. As it is MoS was their second attempt at a DC Universe after screwing up Green Lantern. I think they really need Nolan to stick around as a contributor as they further the series.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:My biggest concern with a JLA movie is that outside of Superman and Batman, the rest of the characters suck/WB will probably screw them up. As it is MoS was their second attempt at a DC Universe after screwing up Green Lantern. I think they really need Nolan to stick around as a contributor as they further the series.

The characters don't suck, they just need the right writers and directors. Green Lantern was done completely the wrong way.

The biggest thing they have to do is decide which characters are best suited for a JLA movie. Personally, I think they should go with Superman, Batman, Flash, and Wonder Woman. Possibly throw in Green Lantern but I think they might have to leave out him and Aquaman.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:46 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:My biggest concern with a JLA movie is that outside of Superman and Batman, the rest of the characters suck/WB will probably screw them up. As it is MoS was their second attempt at a DC Universe after screwing up Green Lantern. I think they really need Nolan to stick around as a contributor as they further the series.

The characters don't suck, they just need the right writers and directors. Green Lantern was done completely the wrong way.

The biggest thing they have to do is decide which characters are best suited for a JLA movie. Personally, I think they should go with Superman, Batman, Flash, and Wonder Woman. Possibly throw in Green Lantern but I think they might have to leave out him and Aquaman.

The "suck" comment was more about Aquaman than anyone else. Green Lantern is intriguing, but ruined. For his inclusion, WB needs to hope that the audience has short memories (worked for Marvel and The Hulk). Wonder Woman stands out to me as the one that they absolutely must get right. If there is a "Big Three" in the DC Universe, its Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Unfortunately, between Whedon's failed attempt at selling a WW movie and the horribly constructed TV show, the character has been a hard sell lately.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Who would you cast in those roles?
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:50 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Who would you cast in those roles?

Batman, Flash, and Wonder Woman??

I really don't know. That is going to be so important. I think the girl who played Faora in Man of Steel would make an awesome Wonder Woman. But they probably can't pull that one off ha.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:55 pm

i wish gina carano was a better actress. i can see her being wonder woman
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:03 pm

farnham16 wrote:

I really don't know. That is going to be so important. I think the girl who played Faora in Man of Steel would make an awesome Wonder Woman. But they probably can't pull that one off ha.

Flash would be Ryan Renolds if they don't **** it up like they did with Deadpool and Green Lantern.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Flash would be Ryan Renolds if they don't **** it up like they did with Deadpool and Green Lantern.

You'd give Ryan Reynolds a third shot a being a superhero? Really hope you were joking.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:53 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

You'd give Ryan Reynolds a third shot a being a superhero? Really hope you were joking.

Deadpool and Lantern weren't his fault in the slightest.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:22 pm

I wasn't a fan of WB even considering making the movie let alone how far they went into production with it, but the casting of Armie Hammer as Batman in the failed Justice League movie seemed like a solid choice to me. The rest of the casting sucked.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:that being said, it was still better than prometheus

i've come around a little on prometheus. i think a lot of the plot holes are way overblown. for instance...
Spoiler:
-yes, she recovered too quick from the surgery, but it's the future. a robot does surgery. i think they've progressed on pain killer/muscle recovery technology as well

The movie's been out a year, I think the spoiler tags are superfluous...!

But I will disagree with you on that point. If they've progressed so much on pain killers/muscle recovery tech, then why show her reacting to being in pain at all? Goes to the earlier point about setting up plot points that never pay off. They set up that she's in a good bit of pain - it was even in the trailers - but then have her bouncing around the Juggernaut, planet surface and lifeboat like a freaking parkour champion.

shmenguin wrote:that's a movie where missing out on some exposition isn't a big deal, and even helps create a good mystique. i don't love having to go on the internet to fill in the plot, but i don't hate it either.

i actually think it would be a really, really good movie if there were just a couple fixes:
Spoiler:
-completely eliminate charlize theron's character
-get a better actor to play the jersey shore scientist

Vickers was useless. Served no plot purpose whatsoever. And who was 'the Jersey shore scientist'?

But that movie had far too many story problems - like, structurally flawed - to be fixed with a few wee tweaks. It's as if they went through ten re-writes, but decided to shoot the third draft. And when you start seeing so many fundamental issues with the story and plotting, you start being more hypercritical of the smaller things that make no sense. Like the fact that there is no way in Hades a 2-D cave painting could lead people to a precise spot in the universe dozens of light years from Earth; the timeline of the paintings covers millennia and several continents in both the northern and southern hemispheres, which means the sky would not look the same to observers at the various locations where the paintings were found. Or if that doesn't bother you, ponder why the Engineers left cave maps for their proto-people to interpret which lead them straight to..... a chemical weapons cache?? In a movie without the structural issues - like, for example, why does any character do anything in the movie? - you can overlook nitpicky stuff. But with Prometheus, if you ignore the nitpicky stuff and holes..... all you have is the five-minute prologue.

When watching the documentary materials on the BluRay I am wracked by a complete sense of frustration that the movie everyone is talking about on camera is so completely different than the one they actually made. Ultimately, the only person to blame for that is Ridley Scott, but Damon Lindelof gets a big assist.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 pm

wow...this blew up
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Rylan wrote:wow...this blew up

Yeah it did.....
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Jessica Biel(sp) would be a good wonder woman no?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Angelina Jolie?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:16 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Angelina Jolie?

Dame Judi Dench?
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Megan Fox from the first Transfomers would've been a good Wonder Woman.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 pm

how about Alexandra Daddario? maybe too young. she did the action girl thing in the percy jackson movie
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 pm

She has the height for it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Katy Perry should be Wonder Woman. Then she can fight Bea Arthur in a death cage match.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Katy Perry also has the Wonder Woman look.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR