Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:39 pm

i didn't mind it. but i didn't really want to see s sequel to it, either
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:41 pm

in returns, didn't superman have a son who failed gym? that's what I remember about the movie and that Routh was a pretty good superman. But the rest is forgettable.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Thats how I expect to feel about MoS in 2 months.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 pm

that's it, I'm going to go see MoS now. See ya
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:45 pm

I thought that might sell you on it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:51 pm

canaan wrote:am i one of the only people that didnt mind superman returns?

I thought the scene where he saves the shuttle and the airplane was awesome. Looks and sounds really great in Blu-ray with my 7.1 system at home.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Man of Steel. Really liked it. Def some holes but overall really liked it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I was waiting for Kevin Costner to play catch with Clark. But yeah, I didn't care about anyone at all. The beginning with Krypton was way too long too. Should have gone from:
Spoiler:
council argument to launching kal el to earth. Less than 5 minutes total, all the necessary information supplied.

I would take that a couple steps further and begin the film
Spoiler:
with Clark on the crab boat. Everything that happens on Krypton is explained by Ghost Dad anyway. This way, it wouldn't feel totally redundant when he tells Kal all the stuff that went down (which we already saw)
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:17 pm

ajh2298 wrote:

I thought the scene where he saves the shuttle and the airplane was awesome. Looks and sounds really great in Blu-ray with my 7.1 system at home.

#humblebrag
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:29 am

I actually REALLY liked Man of Steel. I'm actually surprised by how much i liked it. The pacing was good... the performances were good. The changes they made to the classic story were good ones. And it didn't have too much of the stereotypical Zach Snyder touches that i was worried about.

I loved how the origin was gradually told through flashback and he was pretty much "Superman" through the whole movie.

So much stuff, like BIG stuff, is still left over for the sequel, too.

Spoiler:
like kryptonite, and lex luthor. a superman movie without kryptonite or lex luthor? amazing.

also, i liked the twist that they kryptonian environment hurt superman because he was acclimated to earth. i don't know if that had been done before, but i thought it was a nice touch. plus, the stuff when he was a little kid freaking out about his powers... not only nice touches, but also MAJOR foreshadowing.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:45 am

blackjack68 wrote:
ajh2298 wrote:

#humblebrag

It's actually just a regular brag. Harris Wittels does not approve of this interpretation.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 am

Went to see Frances Ha last night, made by the same guy that did the Squid and the Whale. Defintely a Brooklyn movie, it was a really cool sort of snapshot of this woman's life in like a 3 month span. If you hate "artsy" people, you should avoid though.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 am

nocera wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I was waiting for Kevin Costner to play catch with Clark. But yeah, I didn't care about anyone at all. The beginning with Krypton was way too long too. Should have gone from:
Spoiler:
council argument to launching kal el to earth. Less than 5 minutes total, all the necessary information supplied.

I would take that a couple steps further and begin the film
Spoiler:
with Clark on the crab boat. Everything that happens on Krypton is explained by Ghost Dad anyway. This way, it wouldn't feel totally redundant when he tells Kal all the stuff that went down (which we already saw)

Spoiler:
you're right, that would actually play a lot better.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 am

Froggy wrote:I actually REALLY liked Man of Steel. I'm actually surprised by how much i liked it. The pacing was good... the performances were good. The changes they made to the classic story were good ones. And it didn't have too much of the stereotypical Zach Snyder touches that i was worried about.

I loved how the origin was gradually told through flashback and he was pretty much "Superman" through the whole movie.

Spoiler:
like kryptonite, and lex luthor. a superman movie without kryptonite or lex luthor? amazing.

also, i liked the twist that they kryptonian environment hurt superman because he was acclimated to earth. i don't know if that had been done before, but i thought it was a nice touch. plus, the stuff when he was a little kid freaking out about his powers... not only nice touches, but also MAJOR foreshadowing.

Spoiler:
the iryptonian environment stuff didn't make sense to me. He was out of the yellow sun for just a few minutes, its not like he was de-powered. If he can handle the vacuum of space and the upper atmosphere, he can handle a modified environment
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:30 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Froggy wrote:I actually REALLY liked Man of Steel. I'm actually surprised by how much i liked it. The pacing was good... the performances were good. The changes they made to the classic story were good ones. And it didn't have too much of the stereotypical Zach Snyder touches that i was worried about.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
the iryptonian environment stuff didn't make sense to me. He was out of the yellow sun for just a few minutes, its not like he was de-powered. If he can handle the vacuum of space and the upper atmosphere, he can handle a modified environment

Spoiler:
I think they wanted to do this for the possible fact that they wanted to give Zod and his army some sort of weakness without introducing Kryptonite yet. It's just a guess. Ma Kent even explained when Kal arrived on earth he had trouble breathing the first couple days of his life. This is just my theory.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:33 am

CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I think they wanted to do this for the possible fact that they wanted to give Zod and his army some sort of weakness without introducing Kryptonite yet. It's just a guess. Ma Kent even explained when Kal arrived on earth he had trouble breathing the first couple days of his life. This is just my theory.

Spoiler:
It seemed like the Kryptonians' weakness was covered by them having to adjust to their powers, which was something they used in the movie.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:59 am

Troy Loney wrote:Went to see Frances Ha last night, made by the same guy that did the Squid and the Whale. Defintely a Brooklyn movie, it was a really cool sort of snapshot of this woman's life in like a 3 month span. If you hate "artsy" people, you should avoid though.

A couple weeks ago the wife and I were stuck between seeing Frances Ha or What Maisie Knew. Decided to see What Maisie Knew (excellent movie, with excellent performances, especially by the little girl), but its good to hear that Frances Ha is worth seeing.

I hated Oz the Great and Powerful. Thought it was incredibly boring and James Franco sucked.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Went to see Frances Ha last night, made by the same guy that did the Squid and the Whale. Defintely a Brooklyn movie, it was a really cool sort of snapshot of this woman's life in like a 3 month span. If you hate "artsy" people, you should avoid though.

A couple weeks ago the wife and I were stuck between seeing Frances Ha or What Maisie Knew. Decided to see What Maisie Knew (excellent movie, with excellent performances, especially by the little girl), but its good to hear that Frances Ha is worth seeing.

It did a good job of putting some aspects of life into perspective, sort of like how things can seem so hopeless and dire....but yet life is so long that you can really just let things turn around for you.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:42 am

Man of steel was awesome. Some minor stuff to complain about, but didn't make me enjoy it any less. It's going to be hard to introduce batman into his world, his powers are so crazy, works well in comics and cartoons, but I think it will be tough on the silver screen, I can't even imagine how nuts that would be. Supes is so powerful it's going to be hard to come up with something as big and destructive as Mos was
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
It seemed like the Kryptonians' weakness was covered by them having to adjust to their powers, which was something they used in the movie.

Spoiler:
I know what you mean but how does one invincible man snap another invincible mans neck? I agree with the powers as a weakness but I also believe their bodies needed time to adjust to earths atmosphere under the yellow sun as well. Hence why I was refering to what Ma Kent said.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:07 am

eddysnake wrote:Man of steel was awesome. Some minor stuff to complain about, but didn't make me enjoy it any less. It's going to be hard to introduce batman into his world, his powers are so crazy, works well in comics and cartoons, but I think it will be tough on the silver screen, I can't even imagine how nuts that would be. Supes is so powerful it's going to be hard to come up with something as big and destructive as Mos was

Spoiler:
This is why I think Brainiac will come in to play. Which also gives lex Luthor a story to tell in the next movie as well. I am sure he will be running for president or something along those lines. Sorry I'm kind of a superman nerd.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 am

CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I know what you mean but how does one invincible man snap another invincible mans neck? I agree with the powers as a weakness but I also believe their bodies needed time to adjust to earths atmosphere under the yellow sun as well. Hence why I was refering to what Ma Kent said.

Spoiler:
they aren't invincible, they're extremely powerful. They're equally strong, the neck snap didn't require any additional suspension of disbelief. One human can snap another human's neck.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
they aren't invincible, they're extremely powerful. They're equally strong, the neck snap didn't require any additional suspension of disbelief. One human can snap another human's neck.

Spoiler:
I get what you mean but then why bring in all the body/atmospheric talk in then? Just to give one person(Kal-El) a weakness and not the others(Kandorians/Zods army)? I also think that is why they wore the air helmets as well until the other weakness was exposed. Just my theory and nerd knowlege thats all.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:20 am

CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I get what you mean but then why bring in all the body/atmospheric talk in then? Just to give one person(Kal-El) a weakness and not the others(Kandorians/Zods army)? I also think that is why they wore the air helmets as well until the other weakness was exposed. Just my theory and nerd knowlege thats all.

Spoiler:
Thats my question. Why bring all of that stuff in? It was pointless. Zod was definitely his equal as soon as he got his powers under control.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Thats my question. Why bring all of that stuff in? It was pointless. Zod was definitely his equal as soon as he got his powers under control.

Spoiler:
Just wanted to keep this sweet spoiler chain going.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR