Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:59 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
It seemed like the Kryptonians' weakness was covered by them having to adjust to their powers, which was something they used in the movie.

Spoiler:
I know what you mean but how does one invincible man snap another invincible mans neck? I agree with the powers as a weakness but I also believe their bodies needed time to adjust to earths atmosphere under the yellow sun as well. Hence why I was refering to what Ma Kent said.

Spoiler:
they aren't invincible, they're extremely powerful. They're equally strong, the neck snap didn't require any additional suspension of disbelief. One human can snap another human's neck.

Spoiler:
I get what you mean but then why bring in all the body/atmospheric talk in then? Just to give one person(Kal-El) a weakness and not the others(Kandorians/Zods army)? I also think that is why they wore the air helmets as well until the other weakness was exposed. Just my theory and nerd knowlege thats all.

Spoiler:
Thats my question. Why bring all of that stuff in? It was pointless. Zod was definitely his equal as soon as he got his powers under control.

I got ya I wasn't trying to say you were wrong or I was right or anything. Good convo as usual.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Continuing on Man of Steel, like I said I really liked it.

Spoiler:
The whole Zod fight thing though where he asks Clark where he trained, on a farm blah blah and gives the whole I was bred to be a warrior speech then through their entire fight Supes gets the better of him for the majority of it. That made little sense. I still really liked it. One other thing that annoyed me slightly was the whole releasing the world engine thing. Hey Zod there are at least a dozen of you and one of Supes. Maybe I dunno expose your crew to the yellow sun, get their abilities under control, and kill the one guy that is opposing you and then do whatever you want.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Continuing on Man of Steel, like I said I really liked it.

Spoiler:
The whole Zod fight thing though where he asks Clark where he trained, on a farm blah blah and gives the whole I was bred to be a warrior speech then through their entire fight Supes gets the better of him for the majority of it. That made little sense. I still really liked it. One other thing that annoyed me slightly was the whole releasing the world engine thing. Hey Zod there are at least a dozen of you and one of Supes. Maybe I dunno expose your crew to the yellow sun, get their abilities under control, and kill the one guy that is opposing you and then do whatever you want.

Spoiler:
Faorah and the rest of Zod's army were already trapped back in the phantom zone by the time Zod adapted. I'm guessing they probably were not sure of how long it would take for them to adjust their abilities and test them. I believe somewhere in that "bred to be a warrior speech" he also said he was able to adapt to any type of combat quicker than anyone else. As far a the world engine stuff goes that is where I am thinking Braniac will somehow come in to play in the next movie. As I said before it's time to introduce Lex Luthor as well in some if not all capacity next movie. Another comment that got me in the movie was at the end where he destroyed the missile and said you are trying to find out where I hide my cape? Then he said he grew up in Kansas LOL.

I can go on and talk this all day if i could.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Spoiler:
yeah, how many people know who he is now? The cop that drove lois to the farm. lana lang, the red headed guy, both of their sets of parents.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Bigger, Stronger, Faster. Very good documentary. I originally watched it on Netflix, but its available on Youtube in 10 parts. The basic premise revolves around steroid use, the misinformation used in public campaigns against steroids, the hypocrisy and incompetence of government and public officials (Henry Waxman makes a fantastic appearance where he needs to consult an aid on every question asked, including the legal drinking age in the country), and the use of performance enhancing supplements in other areas of life that are not just ignored, but widely accepted. In the end though, the movie ends up being about family, the dream of fame and fortune, and the inability to let go of those dreams to be content with the life you have. Highly recommended.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:55 pm

The one brother who was roiding up trying to be a pro wrestler died a while ago.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:15 pm

CERV96 wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Faorah and the rest of Zod's army were already trapped back in the phantom zone by the time Zod adapted. I'm guessing they probably were not sure of how long it would take for them to adjust their abilities and test them. I believe somewhere in that "bred to be a warrior speech" he also said he was able to adapt to any type of combat quicker than anyone else. As far a the world engine stuff goes that is where I am thinking Braniac will somehow come in to play in the next movie. As I said before it's time to introduce Lex Luthor as well in some if not all capacity next movie. Another comment that got me in the movie was at the end where he destroyed the missile and said you are trying to find out where I hide my cape? Then he said he grew up in Kansas LOL.

Spoiler:
I took the Kansas line and hanging cape to mean they were trying to find the fortress of solitude and all around spy on him. I get that they were trapped back in the phantom zone by the time Zod fully adapted. But the girl and the giant dude showed they already had the superhuman abilities while still wearing their armor and were more than handling Supes. It seemed like anytime one of them had a good blow landed on them or something went wrong they retreated rather quickly. It was obviously that 2 of them could handle Supes easily so you throw in even Zod on top of that and they would have had free reign on Earth. It's really nitpicking though because the story was told very well.

As for Lex and Brainiac. I liked the little Easter Eggs of Lex Corp stuff being destroyed in the super fight. I don't know if I really like the Lois knows who Superman is right off the bat thing though.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:19 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:The one brother who was roiding up trying to be a pro wrestler died a while ago.

I know and their dad basically saw it coming.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm

The guy who played superman was ripped, what else was he in? He was a great superman. I loved how straight the flick played, I will say a few of the one liners didn't come off so good. Can't believe how many times I got choked up in this.

complaining material:

Spoiler:
when zod and his crew were banished to the phantom zone, literally the next scene the planet blew up. Made me wonder why they even bothered sending them away. I realize they didn't know, but it seemed off.

after bar fight he was just with a new crew up in where the FoS was

with all the spaceships going to the kent house and louis, etc. it shouldn't be hard to figure out who he is.

none of this lessened the experience for me, just things I noticed. I love how they ended it with him going to the planet, that was rad.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 pm

eddysnake wrote:The guy who played superman was ripped, what else was he in? He was a great superman. I loved how straight the flick played, I will say a few of the one liners didn't come off so good. Can't believe how many times I got choked up in this.

complaining material:

Spoiler:
when zod and his crew were banished to the phantom zone, literally the next scene the planet blew up. Made me wonder why they even bothered sending them away. I realize they didn't know, but it seemed off.

after bar fight he was just with a new crew up in where the FoS was

with all the spaceships going to the kent house and louis, etc. it shouldn't be hard to figure out who he is.

none of this lessened the experience for me, just things I noticed. I love how they ended it with him going to the planet, that was rad.

Spoiler:
The scene where he gets the beer poured on him. Dude you're picking on a like a 6'5" shredded dude and you're trying to pick a fight. What is wrong with you?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:25 pm

heres a good interview with David Goyer on Man of Steel. Only read if you watched the movie or you don't care...

Spoiler:
So let's talk about Lois knowing Clark is Superman.

David Goyer: I just thought it was silly. If you're going to make her smart, if she's going to be Superman's love interest, Lois needs to stand on her own as a character; she needs to be really smart and have a lot of gumption, and she can't just be the damsel in distress, or else why is Clark/Kal interested in her? People say that a hero is only as good as his or her villain, but I also think the same is true of his or her love interest. It strained credulity for me that it took Lois ten or twenty years to figure out that Clark was Superman. I call **** on it, especially if she's sleeping with him. That was something that we talked about with DC, and said, "Maybe it's time to move on from that." And maybe there are even people in Smallville that know. It's not explicit, but we imply that maybe people in Smallville have put two and two together.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62904
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
CERV96 wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I took the Kansas line and hanging cape to mean they were trying to find the fortress of solitude and all around spy on him. I get that they were trapped back in the phantom zone by the time Zod fully adapted. But the girl and the giant dude showed they already had the superhuman abilities while still wearing their armor and were more than handling Supes. It seemed like anytime one of them had a good blow landed on them or something went wrong they retreated rather quickly. It was obviously that 2 of them could handle Supes easily so you throw in even Zod on top of that and they would have had free reign on Earth. It's really nitpicking though because the story was told very well.

As for Lex and Brainiac. I liked the little Easter Eggs of Lex Corp stuff being destroyed in the super fight. I don't know if I really like the Lois knows who Superman is right off the bat thing though.

Spoiler:
That was not the fortress that was a scout ship used by Kryptonians thousands of years ago. When Kal activated the ship it sent a signal to another scout ship they had found when the phantom zone released them. That was also the ship Zod tried to use to bring back Krypton. At least thats what I got from the 2nd time I saw the movie. When it comes to one of my favorite super heroes I watch it 3 or 4 times. I know its crazy but you always pick up a thing or two in case you miss it. I am guessing the big dude could have been a failed experement of Zod and Farorah's created son known as doomsday. There is no fact to this just a guess. I am really pumped for the next movie but I am sure it will be 2-3 years away.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:54 pm

CERV96 wrote:
Spoiler:
That was not the fortress that was a scout ship used by Kryptonians thousands of years ago. When Kal activated the ship it sent a signal to another scout ship they had found when the phantom zone released them. That was also the ship Zod tried to use to bring back Krypton. At least thats what I got from the 2nd time I saw the movie. When it comes to one of my favorite super heroes I watch it 3 or 4 times. I know its crazy but you always pick up a thing or two in case you miss it. I am guessing the big dude could have been a failed experement of Zod and Farorah's created son known as doomsday. There is no fact to this just a guess. I am really pumped for the next movie but I am sure it will be 2-3 years away.

Spoiler:
I'll have to find the interview, but while it was the scout ship, it was also intended to serve as the Fortress of Solitude.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:54 pm

CERV96 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
CERV96 wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I get the scout ship thing I just assumed Supes was talking about the Fortress when he crashed the drone.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:58 pm

eddysnake wrote:The guy who played superman was ripped, what else was he in? He was a great superman. I loved how straight the flick played, I will say a few of the one liners didn't come off so good. Can't believe how many times I got choked up in this.

He was in The Tudors and Immortals. Some entertainment magazine did an article on him a few years ago calling him the unluckiest man in Hollywood. He lost out on the roles of Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and Edward Cullen in Twilight to Robert Pattinson, James Bond to Daniel Craig, and he was cast as Superman in McG's Superman movie that was canned, and when Bryan Singer took over the movie he was runner-up to Brandon Routh.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Sounds like his luck turned. MoS is going to be a better option than Returns was.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Spoiler:
I get the scout ship thing I just assumed Supes was talking about the Fortress when he crashed the drone.

Spoiler:
That's possible but I was thinking maybe that would be something that they may hold off till the next movie along with the kryptonite and Lex. You guys are also discussing this Lois and how she knows. I am not 100% sure on my souce but someone told me when they rewrote the comics they did it that she already knows.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Spoiler:
rewrote the comics? What do you mean? Lois is married to Clark in the comics and has been to JLA headquarters and stuff. Unless they retconned it in the past 2 years that I haven't been reading.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
rewrote the comics? What do you mean? Lois is married to Clark in the comics and has been to JLA headquarters and stuff. Unless they retconned it in the past 2 years that I haven't been reading.

Spoiler:
I was talking more about how she has known from the begining.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:15 pm

CERV96 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That's possible but I was thinking maybe that would be something that they may hold off till the next movie along with the kryptonite and Lex. You guys are also discussing this Lois and how she knows. I am not 100% sure on my souce but someone told me when they rewrote the comics they did it that she already knows.

Spoiler:
In the interview I'm reading now it makes total sense for Lois to know. She's intelligent and hard headed and an award winning journalist. Of course she should be able to figure it out. So it makes sense now that they explained it and once you let go of the Superman mythos of the past.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'll have to find the interview, but while it was the scout ship, it was also intended to serve as the Fortress of Solitude.

Spoiler:
If it did serve as the fortress than it is gone because that scout ship was destroyed at the end. I'm sure it can be re built in another form or way from the crystal.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:18 pm

BTW these are excellent conversations. Sucks if you haven't seen the movie yet. Nothing like an almost full page of spoiler tags.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Spoiler:
did you notice when he first found the scout ship, 1 of the pods was open and empty, rest had skeletons.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 pm

eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
did you notice when he first found the scout ship, 1 of the pods was open and empty, rest had skeletons.

Spoiler:
Yes. That was one of the few things that I did not get.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 am

CERV96 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yes. That was one of the few things that I did not get.

Spoiler:
There was a prequel comic written by David Goyer and Zack Snyder. I haven't read it, but know the basic plot. The scout ship was piloted by the character that becomes Supergirl. Everyone else was murdered inside their pod. She escaped and is somewhere on Earth. Could be dead. Could be alive.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR