Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 am

canaan wrote:
Also watched Stoker...was not entertained. Felt forced. idk.

that's not what I wanted to hear, I have high hopes for this
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 am

Yeah I like Eisenberg more than Cera, but I could see how someone thinks they're basically the same actor.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Troy Loney wrote:What was wrong with the ending?

Spoiler:
Standard happy ending, they end up together. I thought it was pretty insightfull on his part to point out that you shouldn't run away from people that you upset. You need to face these issues and trust the person to forgive you

Spoiler:
I guess that's my issue with it -- standard. It felt forced. It's basically a coming-of-age movie of sorts, he's trying to figure out who he is, and he finally moves away by himself (which, to me, would've actually been a happier ending, for the character's development), then it's, oh wait nevermind, back to square one with the girl, which, again, to me was actually kind of a downer. It sort of negates the purpose of the majority of events in the movie.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Kevin Smith Future project?

Smith got inspired and began writing a script called Tusk. He first talked about this on his Smodcast back in June. It’s based on an internet ad (via Gumtree) about a man who was reportedly spent three years alone on an island and befriended a walrus. The man came home, missed his walrus and offered free lodging…if you dress and act like a walrus for two hours per day.

He wants Michael Parks the play the lead, Quentin Tarantino as the victim and envisions the story as “the cuddly version of The Human Centipede.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-smith-wrote-a-horror-movie-called-tusk-offers-clerks-iii-update/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 pm

eddysnake wrote:Kevin Smith Future project?

Smith got inspired and began writing a script called Tusk. He first talked about this on his Smodcast back in June. It’s based on an internet ad (via Gumtree) about a man who was reportedly spent three years alone on an island and befriended a walrus. The man came home, missed his walrus and offered free lodging…if you dress and act like a walrus for two hours per day.

He wants Michael Parks the play the lead, Quentin Tarantino as the victim and envisions the story as “the cuddly version of The Human Centipede.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-smith-wrote-a-horror-movie-called-tusk-offers-clerks-iii-update/

That sounds awful. Also awful is this trailer for a movie he's "presenting"

I will see Clerks III but man has he been disappointing lately. (aka the last 14 years)
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:01 pm

I want to like Kevin Smith way more than i do, but i can't shake this feeling that he's a hack who has been coasting by from 2 good movies he made like 20 years ago.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Thats kinda harsh, but I get the criticism.

Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma were great, strikes back and II were only good if you enjoyed the "more of the same" aspect of them. Jersey Girl was unfairly judged and I dug Red State. He's not Scorsese by any stretch of the imagination, but there are a lot worse out there.

His problem is his bread and butter audience that fellate him at every turn. Its a double edged sword.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 pm

I guess im one of those people who think Mr Smith can do no wrong. I dig the idea of The Dirties and Clerks 3 has win written all over it.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 pm

I get why some don't like him but he writes stuff that I almost always like. I always relate to the characters he writes and his dialogue is exactly how my friends and I talk. It just works for me. I mean... I was Randall graves at one point in my life. I think that's why clerks was always my favorite Kevin Smith film. I enjoyed everything he made up through jay and silent Bob strike back. I am super pumped for clerks 3 those characters will never be uninteresting to me.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Just watched that dirties trailer...looks pretty wicked...its piqued my interest
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:42 pm

"The Way Way Back" was good. Nothing amazing, but solid. Sam Rockwell was great as usual, and AnnaSophia Robb is an attractive female. Definitely some laughs to be had.

Since we were just discussing Adventureland earlier, I'd say they share a similarity in the "summer coming-of-age" movie genre, except this one is much better.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:59 pm

skullman80 wrote:I get why some don't like him but he writes stuff that I almost always like. I always relate to the characters he writes and his dialogue is exactly how my friends and I talk. It just works for me. I mean... I was Randall graves at one point in my life. I think that's why clerks was always my favorite Kevin Smith film. I enjoyed everything he made up through jay and silent Bob strike back. I am super pumped for clerks 3 those characters will never be uninteresting to me.

I was more of a Brody Bruce growing up.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 am

canaan wrote:Thats kinda harsh, but I get the criticism.

Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma were great, strikes back and II were only good if you enjoyed the "more of the same" aspect of them. Jersey Girl was unfairly judged and I dug Red State. He's not Scorsese by any stretch of the imagination, but there are a lot worse out there.

His problem is his bread and butter audience that fellate him at every turn. Its a double edged sword.

First four were great but it's all been downhill since then. Admittedly, I also over saturated myself with Smith. Comics, podcasts, Q&As, visits to Quick Stop, RST, and Secret Stash. There's a lot of Kevin Smith out there and if, like me, you took ALL of it in, you are likely sick of seeing/hearing him.

Like I said, Clerks III is exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing those characters get a true ending. I just hope there aren't any donkey shows.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:18 am

No kinky Kelly?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:22 am

I guess I'm one of the few who liked Zack and Miri?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:32 am

CERV96 wrote:I guess I'm one of the few who liked Zack and Miri?

Loved it...I buy my Ice Cream from the Dairy Queen that is now in the building that housed the Bean N Gone. I'd post the drunk yinzer from the movie, but its extremely nsfw.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:No kinky Kelly?

Hopefully Rosario and Elijah are left out too.

As for Zack & Miri, if it had been shot in any other city, I wouldn't have cared about it as much. And I already cared very little.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:43 am

Apparently Nocera hates rainbows and puppies also. ;)
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:41 am

I like some Kevin Smith movies, but nothing about any of them screams to me that he should get any recognition.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:11 am

I think he does when it comes to budget vs profit ratios though. That he should be recognized for as one of the best. IMO
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:14 am

Even though I haven't seen anything of his since Clerks II, I love the guy, think he's an amazing speaker and writer. He has a following that will allow him to be successful doing what he's doing now and I dig that.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:16 am

CERV96 wrote:I think he does when it comes to budget vs profit ratios though. That he should be recognized for as one of the best. IMO

I don't understand why that matters. It doesn't affect the cost for me to see the movie, so i'd rather the movie i'm going to see get a $1 billion budget.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
CERV96 wrote:I think he does when it comes to budget vs profit ratios though. That he should be recognized for as one of the best. IMO

I don't understand why that matters. It doesn't affect the cost for me to see the movie, so i'd rather the movie i'm going to see get a $1 billion budget.

To him it does no? If I am in his shoes I want to make as much money possible right? You don't have to like the movies to say he is not successful. I can't stand James Cameron and his movies but I get why he is successful.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 am

I don't care if he's successful. I don't care if any actor or director is successful. I never said anything about his level of success. I care about the quality of someone's movies. Some of his are pretty good, thats the end of it for me. I certainly don't care what his budget was though, I care about the end product that i'll be paying a set amount of money to see and the only variable in cost is the time of day that I see it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:39 am

I get what you mean. I was just saying that the guy deserves recognition at least at a money stand point thats all.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR