Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:37 am

It was close to the 1st for me, both really good. This was almost like a buddy cop flick (which fits Shane Black directing/writing) with Rhodes and Starks and I liked them out of the suits for a lot of the movie. 2nd one felt way too much like the 1st.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 am

This is encouraging as most of what I heard when it was in theaters was that it was terrible.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 am

I'm very excited for the new Gravity movie. Looks very well done
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm very excited for the new Gravity movie. Looks very well done

me too, probably my most anticipated movie of the year. Appears to be one of those movies that 3D is pretty much required viewing for it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:27 am

Does 3D really make a difference for films?

Spoiler:
I'm blind in one eye. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:29 am

columbia wrote:Does 3D really make a difference for films?

Spoiler:
I'm blind in one eye. :pop:

Some, I believe Gravity was made specifically with 3D in mind to enhance the movie.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:30 am

For obvious reasons, I'm against the idea of films being "born 3D" and recut in 2D versions. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 am

A movie filmed in 3D is filmed using two cameras set off axis to approximate the eyes. This is much better because it gives the objects it focuses on depth.

Movies converted after the fact have depth between images but they are all still flat, like cardboard cutouts. The more money spent the more dimension they can add, but theres still a practical limit.

That said, 3D is mostly garbage. The problem comes from the fact your eyes just can't do it. They are focusing on a screen that doesn't move - a fixed point in the room. But they are trying to converge at different lengths to focus on whatever object is popping out, that could be closer than the screen or further away.

There is also the problem that in real life you see everything in 3D but decide which objects to focus on. In a traditional movie the director and cinematographer decide what will be in focus for you. On a 3D film you're never quit sure what you're supposed to be looking at and your brain just can't keep up.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:41 am

I didn't learn about parallax until I took HS physics. It kind of blew my mind.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:43 am

I don't understand what is gained by watching in 3D. You aren't getting more information or seeing anything additional.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:43 am

I saw Captain Phillips last night. Kind of what I expected, castaway with a hostage situation instead of a plane crash.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:54 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't understand what is gained by watching in 3D. You aren't getting more information or seeing anything additional.

I generally agree with this, but I will say watching Pacific Rim in 3D was a fun experience and the previews showed a trailer for Gravity in 3D and it looked nuts. I think it enhances the experience and can draw you in if done correctly for certain types of movies. Floating in space around a space station with 15 minute uncut scenes could fit that experience. The finding nemo 3D bluray was incredible and definitely added something that wasn't there before.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 am

I think its best done on something like finding Nemo. I didn't see it, but I presume it was pretty understated and would be ideally done to give layers to like maybe the turtles when they are swimming through that current or whatever.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 am

thehockeyguru wrote:I saw Captain Phillips last night. Kind of what I expected, castaway with a hostage situation instead of a plane crash.

did seal team 6 snipe the captain's volleyball?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:41 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:There is also the problem that in real life you see everything in 3D but decide which objects to focus on. In a traditional movie the director and cinematographer decide what will be in focus for you. On a 3D film you're never quit sure what you're supposed to be looking at and your brain just can't keep up.

I have noticed that when I see a movie in 3D (which I generally don't) that its difficult to focus and my brain feels exhausted afterward.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Kaizer wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I saw Captain Phillips last night. Kind of what I expected, castaway with a hostage situation instead of a plane crash.

did seal team 6 snipe the captain's volleyball?

Wilson was unharmed.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:21 pm

I dislike 3D becuase I have to wear my glasses under the 3D glasses and it becomes very distracting to the overall experience.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Watched 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea a couple of weekends ago. For a movie that is gonna turn 60 next year it still holds up.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:02 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Watched 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea a couple of weekends ago. For a movie that is gonna turn 60 next year it still holds up.

completely agree, watched it not too long ago for the first time, really liked it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 pm

id say that it ... holds water
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 pm

David Fincher was talking about redoing that but I guess it never got under full blown development.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:18 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:That said, 3D is mostly garbage. The problem comes from the fact your eyes just can't do it. They are focusing on a screen that doesn't move - a fixed point in the room. But they are trying to converge at different lengths to focus on whatever object is popping out, that could be closer than the screen or further away.

This is the biggest problem with 3D.... it actually isn't 3D! The image is still being projected onto a flat surface a fixed distance from your eyes, so your focal length never changes.

Walter Murch had a great rant about this, I think it was a letter to Roger Ebert a couple years ago. (You actually may have been the one to share it here, ps33) If the first (and I believe only) person to ever win Oscars for editing both sound and picture says 3D is junk, then I'm inclined to agree with that.

eddysnake wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:Watched 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea a couple of weekends ago. For a movie that is gonna turn 60 next year it still holds up.

completely agree, watched it not too long ago for the first time, really liked it.

Thirded.... probably my favorite live action Disney movie after the first POTC.

The guy that created the giant squid was brought out of retirement to make the mechanical shark(s) in "Jaws".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:24 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:David Fincher was talking about redoing that but I guess it never got under full blown development.

I think there had been cost issues throughout the whole pre-production process so it never fully got off the ground. I think Disney killed it after The Lone Ranger bombed because their live action movies have been crap at the box office.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:id say that it ... holds water

Ba dum ch
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 pm

eddysnake wrote:It was close to the 1st for me, both really good. This was almost like a buddy cop flick (which fits Shane Black directing/writing) with Rhodes and Starks and I liked them out of the suits for a lot of the movie. 2nd one felt way too much like the 1st.

Spoiler:
the fact that they had Pepper Potts piloting an iron man suit at the end, and then getting super powers and saving the day really diminishes the importance of the Tony Stark (opposed to Iron Man) character that they just spent the previous hour of the movie building up. this is my biggest problem with the movie. you spend half the movie with Tony out of the suit, establishing the importance of the "MAN" in Iron Man, and then you have his girlfriend with no training at all using a suit, the President using a suit... Hell, even an army of remote piloted suits. Turns out not only is it irrelevant WHO is in the suit, but also irrelevant to have anyone in any of them at all. That seems like garbage to me.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR