Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Were those people piloting those suits or was tony? My vote is not them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Were those people piloting those suits or was tony? My vote is not them.

Spoiler:
pepper definitely was. but it's a moot point, because apparently, they don't need pilots anyway.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:04 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:That said, 3D is mostly garbage. The problem comes from the fact your eyes just can't do it. They are focusing on a screen that doesn't move - a fixed point in the room. But they are trying to converge at different lengths to focus on whatever object is popping out, that could be closer than the screen or further away.

This is the biggest problem with 3D.... it actually isn't 3D! The image is still being projected onto a flat surface a fixed distance from your eyes, so your focal length never changes.

Walter Murch had a great rant about this, I think it was a letter to Roger Ebert a couple years ago. (You actually may have been the one to share it here, ps33) If the first (and I believe only) person to ever win Oscars for editing both sound and picture says 3D is junk, then I'm inclined to agree with that.

eddysnake wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:Watched 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea a couple of weekends ago. For a movie that is gonna turn 60 next year it still holds up.

completely agree, watched it not too long ago for the first time, really liked it.

Thirded.... probably my favorite live action Disney movie after the first POTC.

The guy that created the giant squid was brought out of retirement to make the mechanical shark(s) in "Jaws".

Nice one, never knew that.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:46 am

I enjoyed world war Z
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:31 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I enjoyed world war Z

Good to hear, I'm going try and watch tonight
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:37 am

Yeah i liked that
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:44 am

WWZ was cool. Pretty intense. I never read the book so I'm not sure why those people took such offense with the movie, but I would like to know
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:57 am

eddysnake wrote:WWZ was cool. Pretty intense. I never read the book so I'm not sure why those people took such offense with the movie, but I would like to know

Because it was nothing like the book. I would have been fine with the movie had they called it something else. The movie wasn't bad as a standard zombie flick, but to call it World War Z is an insult to the book.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:03 am

skullman80 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:WWZ was cool. Pretty intense. I never read the book so I'm not sure why those people took such offense with the movie, but I would like to know

Because it was nothing like the book. I would have been fine with the movie had they called it something else. The movie wasn't bad as a standard zombie flick, but to call it World War Z is an insult to the book.

I have the book, but haven't read it yet, without spoiling too much if the movie already didn't, what's the big difference between them?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:07 am

eddysnake wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

I have the book, but haven't read it yet, without spoiling too much if the movie already didn't, what's the big difference between them?

The book is told by multiple people through multiple points of view from around the world.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:41 am

It was made into a movie most likely.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:38 pm

Gravity sounds and looks like it's a great premise, but I don't think I'd be able to sit through Sandra Bullock yelling for 2 hours.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:50 pm

eddysnake wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

correct me if i'm wrong on this, but i believe the book is sort of a story told through a compilation of various accounts of the zombie apocalypse. like no central POV, and the story is more the sum of the collective experience.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Froggy wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

correct me if i'm wrong on this, but i believe the book is sort of a story told through a compilation of various accounts of the zombie apocalypse. like no central POV, and the story is more the sum of the collective experience.

Kind of.

The story is written by a journalist who has traveled around collecting the stories from World War Z. The book is then written as if an interview has taken place with these people as they tell their story of survival and what the aftermath of the apocalypse has left them feeling.

The book is fantastic for a mini-series or television series, but a movie could never do the book justice because of how it was written.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:05 am

saw prisoners. it was okay.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:20 am

Saw Enough Said. Got really awkward for a bit, but overall watchable. A life after divorce movie and I'd say about taking ownership of your own **** instead of focusing on the other person's ****.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:24 am

skullman80 wrote:

The only thing that they really had in common was the name of the main character and the title. The style of zombies, the cause, the resolution... all different.

If you watch the movie you need to IGNORE the concept of physics and what the human body is physically capable of doing. Not quite as bad as I Am Legend, but heading down that path.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:25 am

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:23 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Gravity sounds and looks like it's a great premise, but I don't think I'd be able to sit through Sandra Bullock yelling for 2 hours.

I read a synopsis of the movie and the orbital maneuvers supposedly undertaken. I'm looking forward to using science to ruin everyone's enjoyment of the film.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:16 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Gravity sounds and looks like it's a great premise, but I don't think I'd be able to sit through Sandra Bullock yelling for 2 hours.

I'd sit through Sandra Bullock yelling directly at me for 2 hours.

I've always had a crush on Sandra Bullock.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:25 pm

tifosi77 wrote:

I'd sit through Sandra Bullock yelling directly at me for 2 hours.

I've always had a crush on Sandra Bullock.

Yeah, 20 years ago when she was hot in "speed" now, not so much
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 am

Due to her fashion and class Bullock is one of the hottest "big name" actress out there right now. I am not saying that she is #1, but she is well ahead of the curve.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:12 am

This is the end was funny, had a great time watching it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:17 am

I really want to see that. I forgot about it until the commercials just recently started to run again, presumably because its now for rent.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:27 am

eddysnake wrote:This is the end was funny, had a great time watching it.

Just came on Netflix, lookin forward to this one
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR