Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 am

If you liked Insidious you will probably like The Conjuring. Not a guarantee though. It isn't "the scariest movie of all time" but I enjoyed it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 am

I haven't seen insideious, but it looked good. I may try to wait till its free.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:53 am

I watched it for free :pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:53 am

Froggy wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:You liked The Conjuring? I found that movie awful.

agreed.

the previews/commercials just make it look like a series of jump scares using a variety of horror cliches. that's not the worst thing in the world, but there's nothing that impressive about it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 am

PensFanInDC wrote:I watched it for free :pop:

The Conjuring? What did you watch it on?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 am

Saw Gravity last night. Thought it was pretty rad. Couldn't think of a better way to describe it, haha.

Idoit40fans wrote:I have little trouble with suspension of disbelief, but there were things i couldnt get past that made me dislike gravity. Also i still have yet to see a movie in 3d that made me think 3d isnt a horrible gimmick.

Spoiler:
Just curious, but what were those things? Was it the fact that she survived at all, more or less? 'Cause I think that's sort of the whole point. The movie to me was basically allegory for the improbability of life existing at all on earth (convenient, I know). You've got it starting with saying "Life in space is impossible," then you've got a big bang of sorts that sets everything in motion -- even a shot of her in a fetal position, being "born" now on her own, and then of course once arriving on earth and in the water, the shot of the frog swimming up, followed by her crawling out of the water, and eventually standing. All highly unlikely. I liked how they were able to combine great visual effects with deeper underlying themes, but I do concede not everyone's going to like everything.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 am

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:

agreed.

the previews/commercials just make it look like a series of jump scares using a variety of horror cliches. that's not the worst thing in the world, but there's nothing that impressive about it.

It was essentially just that. Opens with a creepy doll face, and just nothing new or groundbreaking. Creepy imagry but that's it.

That being said, it's Halloween, watch all the horror movies possible.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:12 am

GSdrums87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:

agreed.

It was essentially just that. Opens with a creepy doll face, and just nothing new or groundbreaking. Creepy imagry but that's it.

sounds like a decent watch, as long as you ignore the hype going into it. insidious is a TERRIBLE movie, but the first half of it, which is basically a bunch of disjointed creepy moments, is enjoyable. but then it get's reeeeeal stupid once it tries to string together a story.

a movie like "sinister" is similar, but the story is just good enough to glue things together effectively.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 am

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:

agreed.

yeah, there is not a single moment in this movie that has not been done before and better. I guess as a sort of "greatest hits" collection of horror tropes, it's somewhat successful, but as a stand alone film, i just did not enjoy it at all.

but i have an immense hatred for James Wan, so take it for what it's worth.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:15 pm

I just watched Escape From Tomorrow, which was a movie shot guerilla style in Disney World, about a guy slowly losing his grip on reality. At least that is what I think it's about. It was kinda weird. I wouldn't say I liked it, but i admire the filmmakers for having the guts to shott a pretty dark movie secretly right under disney's nose.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm

insidious was bad. insidious 2 was worse.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:06 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Saw Gravity last night. Thought it was pretty rad. Couldn't think of a better way to describe it, haha.

Idoit40fans wrote:I have little trouble with suspension of disbelief, but there were things i couldnt get past that made me dislike gravity. Also i still have yet to see a movie in 3d that made me think 3d isnt a horrible gimmick.

Spoiler:
Just curious, but what were those things? Was it the fact that she survived at all, more or less? 'Cause I think that's sort of the whole point. The movie to me was basically allegory for the improbability of life existing at all on earth (convenient, I know). You've got it starting with saying "Life in space is impossible," then you've got a big bang of sorts that sets everything in motion -- even a shot of her in a fetal position, being "born" now on her own, and then of course once arriving on earth and in the water, the shot of the frog swimming up, followed by her crawling out of the water, and eventually standing. All highly unlikely. I liked how they were able to combine great visual effects with deeper underlying themes, but I do concede not everyone's going to like everything.

Spoiler:
George Clooney becoming separated from her was impossible to get past.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Froggy wrote:I just watched Escape From Tomorrow, which was a movie shot guerilla style in Disney World, about a guy slowly losing his grip on reality. At least that is what I think it's about. It was kinda weird. I wouldn't say I liked it, but i admire the filmmakers for having the guts to shott a pretty dark movie secretly right under disney's nose.

I see that it's available on demand, I'll wait until it's on one of the premium channels
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Saw Gravity last night. Thought it was pretty rad. Couldn't think of a better way to describe it, haha.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
George Clooney becoming separated from her was impossible to get past.

I didn't think the way that happened was too outlandish or anything, but, oh well.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:03 am

so, you think you hate Michael Bay?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/transformers-4 ... 50607.html

As a discussion ensued in a busy area of Hong Kong island, the elder Mak walked up and assaulted the director, the spokeswoman said. The elder brother then attacked three police officers who tried to intervene, she added.
The younger brother was arrested on suspicion of blackmail and assault, while the elder Mak was also arrested on suspicion of assault, she said.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 am

new wes anderson movie, looks fun
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 am

I don't get why so many people hate Michael Bay. His movie list isn't that bad at all and with the exception of transformers 2 and pearl harbor, they are all watchable. Sure he's made a bad one or two, but really no worse than most directors....

Transformers: Age of Extinction (post-production)
2013 Pain & Gain
2011 Transformers: Dark of the Moon
2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
2007 Transformers
2005 The Island
2003 Bad Boys II
2001 Pearl Harbor
1998 Armageddon
1996 The Rock
1995 Bad Boys
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:22 am

i like michael bay
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 am

Oh I love Bay's films. Hes definitely my favorite director.

Upon further review these guys were shop owners losing money because the street their stores were on wsa closed for filming.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:30 am

Wow, I would never have guessed that Bad Boys was before The Rock.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:41 am

eddysnake wrote:I don't get why so many people hate Michael Bay. His movie list isn't that bad at all and with the exception of transformers 2 and pearl harbor, they are all watchable. Sure he's made a bad one or two, but really no worse than most directors....

Transformers: Age of Extinction (post-production)
2013 Pain & Gain
2011 Transformers: Dark of the Moon
2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
2007 Transformers
2005 The Island
2003 Bad Boys II
2001 Pearl Harbor
1998 Armageddon
1996 The Rock
1995 Bad Boys

Armageddon is also terrible.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am

The Rock is the only good movie on that entire list. Well Bad Boys isn't that bad. Everything else though... yuck. I haven't seen Pain and Gain so can't comment there.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am

I'd have to say The Island is probably his most underrated movie. That is a great flick.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:50 am

Transformers, The Rock, Bad Boys, Bad Boys 2 are all decent-good. I hear good things about Pain and Gain. I was fine with Transformers 2, no idea if i saw 3. I was one of few that didn't have a problem with Pearl Harbor. Armageddon is one of the worst things i've ever seen. Haven't seen The Island.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 am

eddysnake wrote:I'd have to say The Island is probably his most underrated movie. That is a great flick.

+1
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR