Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 am

Tomas wrote:Blue Jasmine: very good movie, but don't expect any lighthearted easy-going flick like, say, Midnight in Paris (despite the fact that Louis CK and Andrew Dice Clay get top billing). It's actually far more a psychological drama than a comedy. The closest comparison I could make: I'd say it's the modern "Streetcar Named Desire" meets the Bernie Madoff scandal.

There are some laughs at the beginning, but as you actually learn about the story, the movie gets quite heavy at times. I'd say it's a film that will be appreciated the most by the older crowd - the theater was sold out, and I think the median age looked like 45-50.

Cate Blanchett is outstanding. Sally Hawkins and Bobby Cannavale are strong in the main supporting roles. Dice is actually very good. Louis CK, despite top billing, has only a small side-role.

Definitely worth recommending, if you are up for a quality 'thinking' movie. I would not recommend it as a romantic date movie (unlike, say, Midnight in Paris).

Good summary -- pretty much spot on. Overall I thought it was a decent movie carried by a mezmerizing performance from Cate Blanchett.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 am

http://criterioncollection.blogspot.com ... eddon.html

I posted that review of Armageddon in this thread before. Very interesting critical take on the film.

my favorite quotes

there's a scene where William Fichtner briefs the crew. In the real world, this would probably happen in a briefing room. Michael Bay decided he wanted it to happen in the shuttle assembly building with a B-2 and 2 SR-71 Blackbirds. So the Air Force flew in the planes, asked him where to park them, and this is the result

That's the end shot of a love scene between Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler. It's lovely, but it doesn't have any basis whatsoever in reality. Where is the house they've driven to? Does it belong to either character? Why have they strung Christmas lights in the tree? When did they do this? Are we really meant to believe that A.J., a roughneck who works on oil rigs, drives a cute little BMW Z3 when he's on dry land? You can take nearly any frame in this movie and pick it apart in this way, but that presupposes that the goal of this film is to tell a story, and I don't think that's true. The story is a vehicle for the wish-fulfilment you're paying for; when it's in the way, it's jettisoned. This shot does exactly what it sets out to in terms of the mood it evokes in the viewer. It's not a subtle emotion, it's not a subtle shot, and it's not a "justified" shot in any way, shape, or form. But as fantasy, it's great; it's the world advertising has always promised us. (And, of course, it is advertising: BMW paid a good deal of money to have A.J. drive such an unlikely car).
Last edited by pittsoccer33 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 am

im a sucker for the cheesiness that is armageddon and pearl harbor. i dug the island for what it was...a michael bay logans run mix.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby since1970 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:17 am

When I watch Michael Bay movies I always plug a character from one of his other movies into it.......it woulda been easy to see the supporting actors in Armageddon in Transformers, and Will Smith/Martin Lawrence in Bad Boy II coulda been Bruce Willis/Ben Affleck in Armageddon, just replace daughter/sister...you can't date my daughter/sister, so now we're enemies but at the end of the movie you'll see I really love you...Connery/Cage=Willis/Affleck ...old man showing young man how it's done.
Last edited by since1970 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 am

That review justifies the impression I had of the movie, that it was a complete fake and an insult to the little intelligence and sense that I may have.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Ive seen Paranormal Activity. Is 2 worth seeing? Ive heard 3 and 4 are excellent. Will I miss anything not seeing 2?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:17 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Ive seen Paranormal Activity. Is 2 worth seeing? Ive heard 3 and 4 are excellent. Will I miss anything not seeing 2?

I liked 2 a lot. Very similar to 1, but I didn't find that a bad thing. You should see it, there are a few character/plot continuities that are nice to be aware of.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks. I see that the UR version of 4 is on netflix. I guess I'll be watching this series this weekend.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:30 pm

I don't mind previews and ads before the film. Its usually 8 minutes or so. Even if its 10, we all know there is atleast a 5 minute grace period from the projector start time and that of the actually start.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 am

The entire Friday The 13th franchise has cost $78,650,000 to make. It has grossed $465,228,816 worldwide in theatrical take alone.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 am

How much money does an individual make off of residuals on films like friday the 13th?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Saw Enough Said. Got really awkward for a bit, but overall watchable. A life after divorce movie and I'd say about taking ownership of your own **** instead of focusing on the other person's ****.

Yeah. I didn't really get as much of an awkward vibe though (For you? Or for the characters? Definitely the latter of course), but I agree, pretty good flick, nothing groundbreaking or anything.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:29 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Saw Enough Said. Got really awkward for a bit, but overall watchable. A life after divorce movie and I'd say about taking ownership of your own **** instead of focusing on the other person's ****.

Yeah. I didn't really get as much of an awkward vibe though (For you? Or for the characters? Definitely the latter of course), but I agree, pretty good flick, nothing groundbreaking or anything.

Spoiler:
The scene where Gandolfini walked in when Dreyfuss and Keener were talking, the party scene where she was drunk and insulting him and also when she sort of came back to him with her tail between her legs. those were all awkward scenes to watch in my opinion. She just
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Captain Phillips was really good.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

Spoiler:
The scene where Gandolfini walked in when Dreyfuss and Keener were talking, the party scene where she was drunk and insulting him and also when she sort of came back to him with her tail between her legs. those were all awkward scenes to watch in my opinion. She just

Ok, yeah, I can see where you're coming from -- especially the party scene.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Captain Phillips or Gravity this weekend?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:01 pm

eddysnake wrote:Captain Phillips or Gravity this weekend?

Troy Loney would lean Captain Phillips, but ultimately decides....neither. Hanks' accent (based on the preview) is unbearable.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Machete Kills.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:43 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:

Machete Kills.

The correct answer is Bad Grandpa.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:10 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:

Machete Kills.

The correct answer is Bad Grandpa.

You are both wrong, the correct answer is tequila, not a movie, just tequila
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Anyone else see Carrie this weekend?
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why Not Us on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:43 pm

The new Chucky movie is pretty good, for a straight to DVD 5th sequel. Good tie-in to the original film. If you're near a Redbox, worth your dollar to watch it.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:46 pm

So I just looked up Don Mancini (the Chucky creator's) filmography. This is pretty impressive

Filmography (as writer)[edit]

Cellar Dweller (1988) (as Kit Du Bois)
Child's Play (1988)
Child's Play 2 (1990)
Child's Play 3 (1991)
Bride of Chucky (1998) — also executive producer
Seed of Chucky (2004) — also director
Curse of Chucky (2013) — also director and producer

The man has devoted his life to Chucky.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Watched the first 2 Omen movies tonight. Will try to fit in 3 tomorrow if I can.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR