Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

The "problem" is that on the original you can see a lot of grain in the background. The background on the right looks "cleaner". The grain is actually what creates the detail in the picture though.

With standard def you could never see enough detail to actually see the film grain. Now when a lot of consumers see it they think its a staticy-noisy picture.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 am

Yeah people hate grain for some reason. It's supposed to be there in most cases. I get cleaning up old prints, but there is a delicate line that has to be walked there, or you get the re-release of Predator.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 am

tifosi77 wrote:Star Wars: Disney CEO Bob Iger's Firm 2015 Date Leaves 'Episode VII' Team Scrambling

As Oscar winner Michael Arndt exits, producer Kathleen Kennedy sought — and was denied — a delay, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter

With the Oct. 24 exit of Star Wars: Episode VII writer Michael Arndt, the studio is under the gun to keep the film on course for a 2015 release despite a script that several insiders say isn't close to ready.

According to those close to the project, producer Kathleen Kennedy and most of the film's creative team have asked Disney to push the release to 2016, but studio CEO Robert Iger is adamant that Episode VII -- perhaps the franchise's most anticipated installment since 1999's The Phantom Menace -- not budge. That has created enormous pressure on all involved, with director J.J. Abrams stepping in to take over scripting duties with Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote 1980's Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, considered the best film in the series.

Part of the reason why 2015 is etched in stone for Disney is because that marks the 60th anniversary of the opening of Disneyland in Anaheim. While 60 isn't traditionally an anniversary one marks for special celebration, Disney is going all out to showcase their acquisition of the Star Wars IP. The plan is to (permanently) close Tomorrowland and turn it into 'Star Wars Land', including a life-size Millennium Falcon and recreation of the Mos Eisley cantina. So, in Iger's mind, the May 2015 release date for Episode VII is non-negotiable, regardless of whether or not the movie is gonna suck. What is of paramount importance to them is that there is a new Star Wars movie to launch in 2015.... if it's good, all the better. But in this case 'new' is definitely more important than 'good'.

You forgot about the speeder bike "coaster".
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 am

I feel like the only one excited about new Star Wars movies. First, if they're all terrible, there is still the original trilogy. It's not like these are replacing anything. Second, there's no way the new movies could possibly be any worse than the prequels.

These are being made by fans, not Lucas. I do agree that the time crunch seems a bit silly, especially when you have to plan not just one movie, but a three movie arch. But, if anyone can do it, it's JJ.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:51 am

nocera wrote:I feel like the only one excited about new Star Wars movies. First, if they're all terrible, there is still the original trilogy. It's not like these are replacing anything. Second, there's no way the new movies could possibly be any worse than the prequels.

These are being made by fans, not Lucas. I do agree that the time crunch seems a bit silly, especially when you have to plan not just one movie, but a three movie arch. But, if anyone can do it, it's JJ.

I am excited for new stories in a universe that I enjoy. With Lucas out of the way, casting and (actor) directing should be a lot better.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:34 pm

I need at least one of the new SW movies to be really good to restore my faith in humanity and to make my inner child happy again.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:48 pm

tifosi77 wrote:I need at least one of the new SW movies to be really good to restore my faith in humanity and to make my inner child happy again.

Did you like the last two Star Treks? I expect them to be very similar in writing and tone, only with less lens flares. The absolute best part about the next trilogy is that, unlike the prequels, there isn't anything that HAS to happen. They can start completely fresh.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:04 pm

tifosi77 wrote:I need at least one of the new SW movies to be really good to restore my faith in humanity and to make my inner child happy again.

look how much time Lucas had and what we got out of the prequels. I'm a little scared with the tight timeline and JJ running the show. With him, I'm sure it will be a good movie that will more or less be forgettable (see everything else he's done). If he's going the prequel route and making everything digital they are going to need a lot of time for post production and that is what scares me. Kasdan is the only thing keeping me grounded at this moment. The movie will make money regardless if it's good or bad, and Iger knows this. He's the money man and it sounds like if it's not out in 2015 a nice little snowball effect with investors will put a huge damper on his $4B investment.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm perfectly fine with a good movie that is forgettable to non-hardcore fans. The prequels are very memorable, but for all the wrong reasons.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:57 pm

So The Omen remake.... Completely pointless. It's not bad, but it's so close to the original story wise that there is literally no point in watching it over the original. They often didn't even bother to change the dialogue... Waste of time.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:21 pm

nocera wrote:

Did you like the last two Star Treks? I expect them to be very similar in writing and tone, only with less lens flares. The absolute best part about the next trilogy is that, unlike the prequels, there isn't anything that HAS to happen. They can start completely fresh.

Not ST fan, so I gave them a pass. Most of my friends have had positive things to say, tho.

eddysnake wrote:look how much time Lucas had and what we got out of the prequels. I'm a little scared with the tight timeline and JJ running the show. With him, I'm sure it will be a good movie that will more or less be forgettable (see everything else he's done). If he's going the prequel route and making everything digital they are going to need a lot of time for post production and that is what scares me.

It's not a function of time, but rather the creative direction. For example, Lucas let his children name characters for the prequels ("Jar Jar", "Dooku", etc). That is a poor use of the decade and a half between Eps VI and I.... but that decision would have yielded crap if he did it the week before shooting began, or 40 years earlier. Stupid is as stupid does.

Everything I've heard is that Abrams and co are dedicated to more of a Lord of the Rings approach to shooting - lots of large scale models, real light hitting physical objects, etc - rather than a SW prequel route of 'the computer sees this movie as a series of ones and zeroes'. And that is an encouraging thought.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 pm

John Dies at the End was disappointing.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Because the title is a spoiler alert?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 pm

No, because the first 1/3 of the movie was really good and the rest was just meh. It was a tease.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:40 pm

So my review of Dead Snow is up for viewing...

http://drunkinagraveyard.com/

As an ardent fan of the zombie genre I found myself asking the question, “What could make this genre even better?” The logical answer is, of course, Nazis. What better way to take a ‘beaten into the ground’ concept and give it some flare (not unlike the flare they made the Jews wear) then to veer from the usual undead/infected and give us a brigade of pissed off Nazi zombie remnants from WWII? This is what intrigued me enough to sit down and watch Dead Snow. That, and it’s placement on Netflix instant…
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Saw the Conjuring tonight. Thought it was pretty good. Agree that it wasn't ground-breaking. Wandered a bit around the 3/5 mark and the story could have been tighter around the ending, but overall not bad. Liked the up-fronts about the possession stages. Normally, I hate the meaningless signs of presence, but they did ok with it. Acting was pretty solid.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:55 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:So my review of Dead Snow is up for viewing...

As an ardent fan of the zombie genre I found myself asking the question, “What could make this genre even better?” The logical answer is, of course, Nazis. What better way to take a ‘beaten into the ground’ concept and give it some flare (not unlike the flare they made the Jews wear) then to veer from the usual undead/infected and give us a brigade of pissed off Nazi zombie remnants from WWII? This is what intrigued me enough to sit down and watch Dead Snow. That, and it’s placement on Netflix instant…

So did you see Frankenstein's Army yet?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:17 am

Eismann wrote:Saw the Conjuring tonight. Thought it was pretty good. Agree that it wasn't ground-breaking. Wandered a bit around the 3/5 mark and the story could have been tighter around the ending, but overall not bad. Liked the up-fronts about the possession stages. Normally, I hate the meaningless signs of presence, but they did ok with it. Acting was pretty solid.

Good review. Pretty much nail on the head for me. I liked it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:17 am

Eismann wrote:

Ill put it next in the queue
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:23 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Eismann wrote:

Ill put it next in the queue

I queueueued it next, too. Haven't seen Dead Snow, either, despite it coming up as a regular recommendation. I have A Prophete to get through first.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:25 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Eismann wrote:Saw the Conjuring tonight. Thought it was pretty good. Agree that it wasn't ground-breaking. Wandered a bit around the 3/5 mark and the story could have been tighter around the ending, but overall not bad. Liked the up-fronts about the possession stages. Normally, I hate the meaningless signs of presence, but they did ok with it. Acting was pretty solid.

Good review. Pretty much nail on the head for me. I liked it.

I tell you what, you have to take that Vera Farmiga seriously. She has game. Ron Livingston also turned in a really locked-in performance.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:58 am

I'm watching iron sky on Netflix...what a delightfully ridiculous premise for a movie

the head nod to "downfall" was delightful as well.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:28 am

canaan wrote:I'm watching iron sky on Netflix...what a delightfully ridiculous premise for a movie

the head nod to "downfall" was delightful as well.

By the time it's over, I feel like it should have went farther on the crazy scale, but nonetheless I've rewatched it 3 or 4 times and the blonde German actress is hot
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:33 am

Agreed.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:54 am

Jim wrote:"CIA got you pushing to many pencils?"