Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:23 pm

I like the movie. But yeah its pretty hated.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Saw Nebraska. Bruce Dern was hilarious. Very dry humor, right up my alley, but definitely not for everyone.


Just saw it. I would agree with your assessment. The thing (that I really like) about Alexander Payne movies are the majority of the laughs have some substance behind them, and dare I say are even rooted in a sort of sadness. It's not cheap humor (not that I don't enjoy that type of comedy immensely), and serves the tone and pace of his films really well. But yeah, I really liked Nebraska -- one of those movies that stays with you after you've left the theater and gone home. I really like Payne's no-frills approach to movies.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Movie

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:25 am

I think someone needs to enjoy that style of humor to allow the other themes of the movie to resonate. I saw it with my girlfriend's dad, we both came out of it thinking different main themes....I forget what his was though.

Spoiler:
I came out of the movie thinking about how Woody let people take advantage of him. He was far from a upstanding individual, but he was one of those guys that will spare his last dollar if you asked him for it. He end up being surrounded by those that will take your last dollar even if they have loads of it in the bank. That's probably not what Payne was going for, but I just got the impression that Woody led such a meager life because he was never assertive and just let people walk all over him in all aspects of life. In business, he was never able to succeed because people like his old partner will always screw him over. In family life, he let his wife just dictate everything to him and then blame him for all the shortcomings.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,246
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:12 am

Hangover 2. Really didn't find much funny, but was interested enough to see what was going to happen next.

Spoiler:
Why there wasn't way more "OMG!!!" about Ted's finger is amazingly dumb to me. Seems like that would be a story trumper, but everyone seemed not to care.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,177
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:14 am
Location: The tundra of human rights

Re: Movie

Postby Hockeynut! on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Part 2 wasn't terrible but Hangover 3 is amazingly bad. A total change in tone from the first two.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,434
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:55 am

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:33 pm

I watched Bad Santa for the first time last night. How have I never seen that movie before?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:34 pm

*shrugs*
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I think someone needs to enjoy that style of humor to allow the other themes of the movie to resonate. I saw it with my girlfriend's dad, we both came out of it thinking different main themes....I forget what his was though.

Spoiler:
I came out of the movie thinking about how Woody let people take advantage of him. He was far from a upstanding individual, but he was one of those guys that will spare his last dollar if you asked him for it. He end up being surrounded by those that will take your last dollar even if they have loads of it in the bank. That's probably not what Payne was going for, but I just got the impression that Woody led such a meager life because he was never assertive and just let people walk all over him in all aspects of life. In business, he was never able to succeed because people like his old partner will always screw him over. In family life, he let his wife just dictate everything to him and then blame him for all the shortcomings.


Spoiler:
Yeah. You even got the impression that his affair was probably a result of that as well. Like he said, he just "liked to screw" and probably just didn't want to turn this girl down whom he probably liked anyway. I also kinda like it then, how for how much he probably got walked over in his life, the majority of the events in the movie are basically driven by him. Sure, he doesn't literally force David to drive him, but I mean, he more or less does, and his whole trip is the reason for the big family reunion happening as well.

I like it how there really wasn't one main underlying theme throughout the movie, or a dominating message. Payne films usually give you a lot of different little things to digest, many of equal weight and importance. The truck driving scene at the end was probably as much of a "movie moment" as I've seen from his films (not necessarily in the probability of it happening, but the way it was directed), but I really enjoyed it, and it was definitely needed.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Movie

Postby skullman80 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I watched Bad Santa for the first time last night. How have I never seen that movie before?


It is an awesome movie.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,070
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:55 am
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:50 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I watched Bad Santa for the first time last night. How have I never seen that movie before?


It is an awesome movie.

The girlfriend was shocked when i hadnt seen it and made me watch it. I cant believe i missed that for the past decade since it came out. Shame on me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Movie

Postby skullman80 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I watched Bad Santa for the first time last night. How have I never seen that movie before?


It is an awesome movie.

The girlfriend was shocked when i hadnt seen it and made me watch it. I cant believe i missed that for the past decade since it came out. Shame on me.


It is on our yearly christmas watch list along with Christmas Vacation, Die Hard, and A Christmas Story.

Well the wife doesn't think Die Hard is a Christmas movie, but it is. :lol:
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,070
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:55 am
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:56 pm

It is now on my christmas watch list. Actually its alone on that list as far as movies go.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:41 am

Saw Anchorman 2 yesterday. Loved it. Had some moments that were on par with 1, but generally felt a little over long; they prolly could've trimmed maybe 15 minutes or so. The climactic battle scene one ups the farce of the 'local news' fight scene in the first film and turns it to 11. Worth seeing.

Tomorrow likely going to see Saving Mr Banks with the in-laws.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Movie

Postby the wicked child on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Finally going to see the Desolation of Smaug today. Can't wait.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,036
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:20 pm

We attempted to go see Wolf of Wall Street yesterday but were so annoyed with the crowd at the movie theater that we just went home.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:00 pm

So, Saving Mr Banks waas sold out when we arrived at the theater. Only other show was Grudge Match. It wasn't exactly...... baaaaaaad...... I mean, I don't feel dumber for having seen it. It just isn't really all that good. Plenty of chuckle-worthy scenes, a few real laughs. I'd pay money just to listen to Alan Arkin snark bomb people, so I thought his scenes were are all pretty enjoyable. The kid who plays DeNiro's son appears to be doing a Robert deNiro impression the whole time, but it's a prertty good one. The guy playing the promoter was going for a more polished Chris Tucker, but was hamstrung by Johnny One Note materrial that got old fast (which is a writing problem).

There are a LOT of references to Rocky and Raging Bull. Many more in the case of the former, but that could simply be my lack of familiarity with the latter showing. Most of the references are asides, a few are contrived. One in particular I thought was kinda cool, at the end of the big fight, but it was so subtle I might just be imagining it.

No need to spend full price, but worth a watch on HBO.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Thats exactly what I thought it would be and exactly what I will expect when I watch it. It seems like ill really enjoy it since I have always been a huge Rocky fan.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,909
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Movie

Postby CERV96 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Take her to the zoo!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,667
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Kevin hart, the chris tucker "impersonator" is a pretty amazing comedian. Its kind of funny that hes getting a lot of acting stuff because he doesnt seem that good at acting.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Kevin hart, the chris tucker "impersonator" is a pretty amazing comedian. Its kind of funny that hes getting a lot of acting stuff because he doesnt seem that good at acting.


The first three times I saw the trailer, I said, "Interesting that Chris Tucker is back getting work." Then I realized it was Kevin Hart. Seriously.

#hopethatsnotracist
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,812
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby the wicked child on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Iniital thoughts on the Hobbit are that it was good, but a lot of pointless added or changed material. Not unlike The Two Towers in that regard, but there is no Helm's Deep here.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,036
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Im frankly shocked that there was pointless material in one of those movies.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:07 pm

the wicked child wrote:Iniital thoughts on the Hobbit are that it was good, but a lot of pointless added or changed material. Not unlike The Two Towers in that regard, but there is no Helm's Deep here.


The barrel rafting scene and the dragon were the best scenes. Although, I didn't mind the addition of Tauriel.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,812
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby count2infinity on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Went to see wolf of Wall Street today. I know it came out a while ago, and may have been discussed already, but here's my opinion:

Spoiler:
i thought overall it was a very good movie, but it was very long. I think the same story could have been told in an hour less. It had a crapload of partying, hookers and cocaine. I get that they were trying to convey the message that they do that everyday/nonstop, but they got that point across quickly, they didn't need an hours worth of it to get that point across.

I'm curious as to if Donnie (Jonah Hill's character) was in with the fed and for how long. He obviously turned over the note about the wire. Thinking back, did he get Brad caught on purpose? Did he call the Swiss guy knowing the house was bugged? Did he help "Rugrat" get caught with the Swiss guy? I just walked away thinking he was a rat the whole time.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,054
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 pm

count2infinity wrote:Went to see wolf of Wall Street today. I know it came out a while ago, and may have been discussed already, but here's my opinion:

Spoiler:
i thought overall it was a very good movie, but it was very long. I think the same story could have been told in an hour less. It had a crapload of partying, hookers and cocaine. I get that they were trying to convey the message that they do that everyday/nonstop, but they got that point across quickly, they didn't need an hours worth of it to get that point across.

I'm curious as to if Donnie (Jonah Hill's character) was in with the fed and for how long. He obviously turned over the note about the wire. Thinking back, did he get Brad caught on purpose? Did he call the Swiss guy knowing the house was bugged? Did he help "Rugrat" get caught with the Swiss guy? I just walked away thinking he was a rat the whole time.

When you say a while ago, dont you mean a day ago?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,970
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eismann and 12 guests


e-mail