Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Hard Candy

Not bad but not good. Acting was really really good though.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:10 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Hard Candy

Not bad but not good. Acting was really really good though.

With Juno?
That dude was extra creepy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:11 pm

At the end? Yes. Until then they did a decent job of making you feel bad for him.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am

Troy Loney wrote:Saw Inside Llewyn Davis yesterday. I got the impression that the characters were excessively mean to him. I think one of the things about him that didn't really translate to me, was that he was an ***hole, and people were rightfully mean to him.

I didn't really get that impression.

Spoiler:
I mean, Jean, sure, she was basically using him as an outlet for her frustration for ever hooking up with him. But did she hook up with the club owner at the end to get him that gig? That was the impression I got, since earlier in the movie the owner is talking about how he'd like to hook up with her.
He seemed like a flawed individual, fairly self-loathing, which is probably why he says that he's an ***hole and the like. But I didn't get the impression the characters were excessively mean specifically to him, Jean notwithstanding. Goodman's character would've been like that to pretty much any folk singer he came across I'd say, and his sister only really reamed him out when he was swearing in front of her kid.

I liked it. Good movie.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:07 am

About to watch The GingerDead Man. Apparently it has Gary Busey, so if nothing else, it'll be entertaining to watch how insane he's gone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:22 am

Yup. Just as bad as I thought it would be
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:15 am

Are you going to stop with The GingerDead Man or are you going to continue on with The GingerDead Man 2: Passion of the Crust and The GingerDead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver? Also, are you going to delve into the sister series: Evil Bong, Evil Bong II: King Bong, and Evil Bong 3-D: The Wrath of Bong so you can watch the epic conclusion Gingerdead Man vs. Epic Bong?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Casualties of War with Michael J Fox.

What would do if you were in his place, as they kept raping and torturing that girl? Stand and watch? Or lose your cool and try shooting your fellow soldiers (and screw what happens later, even if it may cost you your own life)? It's the kind of movie that stays with you for a few days. I've seen it before, of course, but I did again and it's pissing me off. I personally don't think I could accept what is happening. I'd likely just get to a point a point where I'd go berserk and there'd be a massacre. I'd try hiding the bodies later or blame the 'enemy'.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:22 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Saw Inside Llewyn Davis yesterday. I got the impression that the characters were excessively mean to him. I think one of the things about him that didn't really translate to me, was that he was an ***hole, and people were rightfully mean to him.

I didn't really get that impression.

Spoiler:
I mean, Jean, sure, she was basically using him as an outlet for her frustration for ever hooking up with him. But did she hook up with the club owner at the end to get him that gig? That was the impression I got, since earlier in the movie the owner is talking about how he'd like to hook up with her.
He seemed like a flawed individual, fairly self-loathing, which is probably why he says that he's an ***hole and the like. But I didn't get the impression the characters were excessively mean specifically to him, Jean notwithstanding. Goodman's character would've been like that to pretty much any folk singer he came across I'd say, and his sister only really reamed him out when he was swearing in front of her kid.

I liked it. Good movie.

Spoiler:
Yeah, your right...I think I got that opinion mostly from the NYT review on the movie. It highlighted how much of a jerk he was and how the treatment he recieved was deserved. Looking back, I agree a lot with the assesment my friend had as we came out of the theater. He descrived it as a punishment movie, The coen bros just kept punishing him, and Dylan coming on at the end to make it big was the highlight of that.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:57 pm

^^

Spoiler:
Yeah, I can see that, but it wasn't like it was completely unsolicited punishment. I think like Jean points out, he, for whatever reason, probably enjoys how down and out he is on some sort of emotionally masochistic level. Although I do think he really didn't believe the Mr. Kennedy song would amount to anything (and maybe it wouldn't, but that's not the way they made it seem), so that one wasn't a consciously self-destructive decision. Maybe it was related to his partner's suicide? They didn't really go into that too much. I thought it was a nice touch though and important character moment that when he sang that song at the end he was singing some of his partner's high parts during the chorus after freaking out when that lady sang it with him earlier. At least, I think -- I'd have to watch again on video to be sure.

I think with part of the unluckiness though was just to paint a portrait of how hard it was to make it in that particular industry at the time. I'd imagine there were plenty of folk singers, both then and now, quite talented, who just don't make it for whatever reason, sometimes through no fault of their own, sometimes (like Llweyn) they might shoulder some of the blame. Check out Dave Von Ronk. Released a ton of albums over a long time but basically worked in obscurity. He was definitely the main inspiration I think for the Coen Brothers for this movie. He's even got an album called "Inside Dave Von Ronk." And there's this from 1963:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:16 am

I mostly dislike the Coen Brothers. But we've had this discussion. Doubt I'll care for this one.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:30 am

blackjack68 wrote:I mostly dislike the Coen Brothers. But we've had this discussion. Doubt I'll care for this one.

You do??!!!! We have??!!!!!!
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:01 am

Robin hood: prince of thieves. Love it, brings back childhood memories of home movies with nerf arrows and gasoline.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:00 am

For the love of the game...maybe its my soft spot for Costner, but I love this movie
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:20 am

Sarcastic wrote:Casualties of War with Michael J Fox.

What would do if you were in his place, as they kept raping and torturing that girl? Stand and watch? Or lose your cool and try shooting your fellow soldiers (and screw what happens later, even if it may cost you your own life)? It's the kind of movie that stays with you for a few days. I've seen it before, of course, but I did again and it's pissing me off. I personally don't think I could accept what is happening. I'd likely just get to a point a point where I'd go berserk and there'd be a massacre. I'd try hiding the bodies later or blame the 'enemy'.

I remember not being totally into that movie when I first saw it, yet I also remember audibly cheering when Marty McFly smashed the dude's face with the shovel. That was some serious awesome.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:04 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:I mostly dislike the Coen Brothers. But we've had this discussion. Doubt I'll care for this one.

You do??!!!! We have??!!!!!!

I do. We have.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:09 pm

canaan wrote:For the love of the game...maybe its my soft spot for Costner, but I love this movie

John C Reilly as a major league catcher.......

This movie could have been really good, but a bit of overacting here or there, and Reilly as your catcher.. well.

Also.. "clear the mechanism"..
you don't need someone to "say" that when they are focusing.. just too over the top.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 pm

That movie is great. Not sure what tge problem is with john c reilly.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:34 pm

i guess now that i've seen it, i can officially say that it's a joke that silver linings playbook was an oscar nominee. aside from it winding up as a pretty much a straightforward romance story, there are just so many terrible plot points that were obviously injected by the studio to make it more interesting to the masses and a better date movie.

for instance, the entire deniro gambling thing made no sense. it was suitable for a sitcom B story. not 30 minutes of a alleged world-class film. then there's chris tucker. and the pointless cop who kept popping in. and then of course the dance contest. it's not surprising that these were all minor pieces of the book.

there's a good movie hidden in there somewhere. the first 30-40 minutes is solid. it's an authentic story about mental health and an interesting look at 2 people finding grace through each other. but right when the dance training starts, it turns into generic slop. apparently the book is like the movie that SHOULD HAVE been made, but it's not big studio material, so the executives regurgitated this as the final cut.

so yeah...it's not as bad as i expected, but it's still poor film making. and not even just relative to other oscar-caliber films
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:34 pm

Sitting in the theater waiting for WoWS to start
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Anchorman 2 was not good.

Excited to see monuments men
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:02 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Anchorman 2 was not good.

Excited to see monuments men

Did you consider Anchorman 1 good? And I'm talking about when it came out. Did you think it was good in theaters or did you think it was good once it started getting quoted like crazy like 2 years later?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:33 pm

The Monuments Men....that looks awesome.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:04 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:The Monuments Men....that looks awesome.

It does. WoWS was OK, but I was expecting better.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby skullman80 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Despicable Me 2 was awesome.

Next up Prisoners.

Then probably Bullet to the Head.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR