Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:26 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:saw wolf of wall street. enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
why didnt he throw away the note that said he was wearing a wire/where did the fbi agent find it?

Spoiler:
That was something I didn't quite understand either. Was Jonah Hill's character an informant of some sort and turned the note over? How did the FBI get that note?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:43 am

Spoiler:
why didnt he throw away the note that said he was wearing a wire/where did the fbi agent find it?

They left that pretty ambiguous. That was one thing I was wondering about as well. Then again, I haven't read either of the books, so maybe it happens differently / is explained a little better in them.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 am

Saw Sole Survivor and Her last night.

SS was good, but I felt drained after almost two straight hours of battle scenes and live fire.

Followed it up with Her and was mostly underwhelmed by the plot. I do have to say I thought J. Pheonix did a great acting job though.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:58 am

count2infinity wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That was something I didn't quite understand either. Was Jonah Hill's character an informant of some sort and turned the note over? How did the FBI get that note?

I think you've got it, slightly.

Spoiler:
I did some digging around the iMDB forum and found this. I added my own thoughts in bold:

"Donnie gave it to him. (in an effort to save his own skin a bit, as he probably knew the end was nigh) You see a scene after Jordan and Donnie have their sushi lunch, where Jordan passes Donnie the yellow note, and in the follow-up scene they clearly show the audience Donnie is hitting DELETE and ENTER on his computer repeatedly - he's deleting files, obviously (This would make sense, since he would know they'd be coming and was preparing for it -- that wouldn't have been the only filing deleting he did since his lunch with Jordan). Then the agents bust into the building and start taking brokers away. Cut to Donnie, in his office, hiding and covering his ears. Notice the agents aren't taking Donnie away. He gave them up, just like he gave up Jordan's actions. Donnie gave Denham the note, plain and simple. This is also confirmed in the film's screenplay, as there was originally narration explaining it, and Belfort said Donnie turned him in."
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:02 am

Great find. Thanks!
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Give me a good movie to watch on Netflix. I know it's a hard task to find quality there, but try.

comedy or horror or sci-fi
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:09 pm

I was gonna say "Moon" for sci-fi, but it doesn't look like that one is streaming.

Tough to recommend things without really having access to their stream list. Just give us a bunch of titles from the comedy, horror, and sci-fi sections, and then we'll just vote on them. :P
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:16 pm

We watched "Captain Phillips" last night.

Meh. I mean, I didn't not like it, but by and large it just wasn't as good as I was expecting. Also didn't think the vaunted performances of Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi were anything special until the third act after they get into the lifeboat. The whole lifeboat sequence was pretty solid, however.

The film also truncated the job the SEALs did, I felt story's detriment; those snipers were in position on the fantail of the Bainbridge for close to three days, laying there just waiting for 'three green'. Granted, I don't suppose that's really filmable in a dramatically satisfying way, but they made it seem like the SEALs show up and go to the back of the boat and shoot the pirates in the head. In that context, I guess they're distilling the story down to its essence - Merchant Marine captain kidnapped, endures rough handling by his captors.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Give me a good movie to watch on Netflix. I know it's a hard task to find quality there, but try.

How about all 3... Lifeforce. I think it's still streaming...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 pm

eddysnake wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Give me a good movie to watch on Netflix. I know it's a hard task to find quality there, but try.

How about all 3... Lifeforce. I think it's still streaming...

Maybe not... next I'd say big trouble in little China or the ghost and the darkness

Or highlander or nightwatch
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Or chud, the stuff, Heathers, intouchables, buckaroo bonzai, the trip, troll Hunter, monsters, humanoids from the deep
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Lifeforce is kind of an amazing movie because of the two words "Mathilda" and "May".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:16 am

eddysnake wrote:Or chud, the stuff, Heathers, intouchables, buckaroo bonzai, the trip, troll Hunter, monsters, humanoids from the deep

You want me to have nightmares? That's from Chud. Also looked at some images from Humanoids. Oh, dear.

OK. I'll try from what was already suggested.

I looked at a couple clips of Lifeforce and it looked as silly as those two ^. I have a problem when watching movies lately because, unless something is of superb quality as in acting and story, I tend to ask myself why I'm wasting my time watching such 'crap' and 'i don't give a damn' (about the actor or whatever's on the screen) and end up turning it off.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 am

tifosi77 wrote:We watched "Captain Phillips" last night.

Meh. I mean, I didn't not like it, but by and large it just wasn't as good as I was expecting. Also didn't think the vaunted performances of Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi were anything special until the third act after they get into the lifeboat. The whole lifeboat sequence was pretty solid, however.

The film also truncated the job the SEALs did, I felt story's detriment; those snipers were in position on the fantail of the Bainbridge for close to three days, laying there just waiting for 'three green'. Granted, I don't suppose that's really filmable in a dramatically satisfying way, but they made it seem like the SEALs show up and go to the back of the boat and shoot the pirates in the head. In that context, I guess they're distilling the story down to its essence - Merchant Marine captain kidnapped, endures rough handling by his captors.

Watched this yesterday too. It's a pretty fantastic story, the movie did a good job brining such a story into a watchable film. It was extremely suspenseful, so I think they succeeded. But otherwise, glad I watched it. won't want to watch it again.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:33 am

listen to me. listen to me. im the captian now
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:39 am

Oops... didn't realize the front picture was indecent. Can't post it.

Guys, watch the karate scene about 26 minutes in. Dragon Fury on youtube (full movie). I got to it from a Lifeforce clip.

I can't watch movies that silly....
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:40 am

Spoiler:
The pirates should have shot Phillips when he was obviously messing around with them on that search of the ship
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am

Now I'll try.... 'A Nymphoid Barbarian In Dinosaur Hell!'. Also full on youtube.

There are jumping dinosaurs here. I might watch this.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:Saw Sole Survivor and Her last night.

SS was good, but I felt drained after almost two straight hours of battle scenes and live fire.

Followed it up with Her and was mostly underwhelmed by the plot. I do have to say I thought J. Pheonix did a great acting job though.

I liked Her a lot. In particular I really liked the world/mood/environment they created for the film. And yeah, Ditto on Phoenix -- between this and The Master, it's quite the impressive "comeback." Two fantastic performances. I also really liked what Amy Adams did (a lot more than her work in American Hustle), and thought ScarJo did a really good job in giving a character we never see a real personality/arc.

Spoiler:
Just wasn't too crazy about the final scene on the rooftop. Was just kind of "meh" to me.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 am

so is this a real thing or is this my theory: phoenix went off the deep end when he did not win the academy award for best actor in walk the line when philip seymour hoffman won for capote?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 am

I saw Her the other day. I can appreciate the risk they took in making a movie that was quite different from other movies out there. The plot line was interesting, but it was just too slow for me. Also, during the "sex" scene, I couldn't help but burst out loud laughing. I'm not sure if this scene was supposed to be funny or not, because the rest of the theater was quiet. I had to excuse myself from the theater, but someone came right behind me who was having the same problem. We had a quick chat about it outside the theater.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:30 am

Sarcastic wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Or chud, the stuff, Heathers, intouchables, buckaroo bonzai, the trip, troll Hunter, monsters, humanoids from the deep

You want me to have nightmares? That's from Chud. Also looked at some images from Humanoids. Oh, dear.

OK. I'll try from what was already suggested.

I looked at a couple clips of Lifeforce and it looked as silly as those two ^. I have a problem when watching movies lately because, unless something is of superb quality as in acting and story, I tend to ask myself why I'm wasting my time watching such 'crap' and 'i don't give a damn' (about the actor or whatever's on the screen) and end up turning it off.

then I shal narrow it down to this:

The Intouchables. It was my favorite movie of the year next to Gravity. It's in french, but don't let that stop you from seeing the movie. All around great movie, very funny.

In Paris, the aristocratic and intellectual Philippe is a quadriplegic millionaire who is interviewing candidates for the position of his carer, with his red-haired secretary Magalie. Out of the blue, the rude African Driss cuts the line of candidates and brings a document from the Social Security and asks Phillipe to sign it to prove that he is seeking a job position so he can receive his unemployment benefit. Philippe challenges Driss, offering him a trial period of one month to gain experience helping him. Then Driss can decide whether he would like to stay with him or not. Driss accepts the challenge and moves to the mansion, changing the boring life of Phillipe and his employees.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:so is this a real thing or is this my theory: phoenix went off the deep end when he did not win the academy award for best actor in walk the line when philip seymour hoffman won for capote?

No -- it really was just a ruse for the "I'm Still Here" mockumentary -- he just wanted to do something different. He's also been on record (more than once), stating his general disinterest in the oscars and award shows in general.

This interview with him is a really great read that touches on both of those things, among many others:

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/j ... nix#/page5

Actually, I'll do you a favor and post the two directly relevant parts, though I do recommend the whole thing:

On "I'm Still Here"

Spoiler:
PHOENIX: ...for as long as I've been making movies, I really don't know a lot of the technical side. I mean, I've actively and consciously tried to avoid learning that stuff. I just want to be open and receptive to what's happening in the moment, and I don't want to force anything. Dishonesty is so ugly on film. You just act, and it's so ugly, and I don't want to do that. I mean, everything that they teach you when you're a kid about acting is completely ****ing wrong. They tell you to memorize your lines, follow your light, and hit your marks. Those are the three things that you shouldn't do. You should not learn your lines, you should not hit your mark, and you should never follow your light. Find your light—that's my opinion. Everyone else will tell me I'm wrong, but that's my opinion.

MITCHELL: When did you come to that conclusion? When did that happen for you?

PHOENIX: Really, before I'm Still Here. Obviously, I'm Still Here just made me really solidify what I felt about the kind of acting that I wanted to experience. I'd done a run of movies around Walk the Line [2005], and I just didn't want to do that kind of acting anymore.

And on Oscars and the like:

Spoiler:
PHOENIX: I'm just saying that I think it's bull****. I think it's total, utter bull****, and I don't want to be a part of it. I don't believe in it. It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life. I don't want this carrot. It's totally subjective. Pitting people against each other . . . It's the stupidest thing in the whole world. It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again. I don't know how to explain it—and it's not like I'm in this place where I think I'm just above it—but I just don't ever want to get comfortable with that part of things.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 pm

eddysnake wrote:then I shal narrow it down to this:

The Intouchables. It was my favorite movie of the year next to Gravity. It's in french, but don't let that stop you from seeing the movie. All around great movie, very funny.

In Paris, the aristocratic and intellectual Philippe is a quadriplegic millionaire who is interviewing candidates for the position of his carer, with his red-haired secretary Magalie. Out of the blue, the rude African Driss cuts the line of candidates and brings a document from the Social Security and asks Phillipe to sign it to prove that he is seeking a job position so he can receive his unemployment benefit. Philippe challenges Driss, offering him a trial period of one month to gain experience helping him. Then Driss can decide whether he would like to stay with him or not. Driss accepts the challenge and moves to the mansion, changing the boring life of Phillipe and his employees.

The Intouchables is a fantastic movie.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR