Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:01 pm

OK, OK. I'll watch The Intouchables later during cuddle time.

I finished A Nymphoid Barbarian In Dinosaur Hell! That was pretty cool. I mean, if you liked the silliness of Caveman with Ringo Starr, Dennis Quaid, and Shelley Long, you should like this. Not made into a comedy of sorts like the other one, but this has the same vibe and the same quality dinos. And a hot babe.

:thumb:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
Spoiler:
The pirates should have shot Phillips when he was obviously messing around with them on that search of the ship

Spoiler:
He was the highest ranking officer and the only real commodity they had once the crew had disabled the ship to make it dead in the water. Once they successfully commandeered the Alabama, keeping Phillips alive was their only realistic shot at a payday. Muse understood that, boogly-eye pirate did not seem to have that same savvy...... if anyone should have been shot, Muse should have shot him once they got aboard the lifeboat. That guy was as much a menace to his brother pirates, er, 'fishermen' as he was to the crew of their target ships.

itissteeltime wrote:I saw Her the other day.

Can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, but I heard the movie described as pretty much just a rundown of a long-distance relationship. Which sounds deeply uninteresting.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 am

tifosi77 wrote:We watched "Captain Phillips" last night.

Meh. I mean, I didn't not like it, but by and large it just wasn't as good as I was expecting. Also didn't think the vaunted performances of Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi were anything special until the third act after they get into the lifeboat. The whole lifeboat sequence was pretty solid, however.

The film also truncated the job the SEALs did, I felt story's detriment; those snipers were in position on the fantail of the Bainbridge for close to three days, laying there just waiting for 'three green'. Granted, I don't suppose that's really filmable in a dramatically satisfying way, but they made it seem like the SEALs show up and go to the back of the boat and shoot the pirates in the head. In that context, I guess they're distilling the story down to its essence - Merchant Marine captain kidnapped, endures rough handling by his captors.

Watched this last night, solid suspense thriller. The "muscle" pirate from the different village was so annoying, for me he was the only part of the flick I didn't care for. Wonder how close the personalities of the pirates were to the real thing? For the real 3 days, were they just waiting for a shot, or were they negotiating the entire time? Also, are there laws about ships being armed? I'm thinking like planes have sky marshals, wouldn't that be a good idea, hell, a hunter with a deer rifle could have stopped this entire thing before it happened....
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:55 am

Shaf's experience as a Coastie might be instructive here (certainly more useful than my experience as a highly-trained Internetter), but there are myriad legal issues that come into the discussion when talking about armed civilian merchant ships.

Admiralty law is one of the most confusing things I've ever looked into. Shipping companies generally don't want to get into the trick bag of arming their crews. For one thing, they aren't a professional fighting force with a depth of force-on-force know-how. And in legal terms, having one of your crew shoot and kill a foreign national (even in international waters) is a trick bag that's tough to get out of, even if it's clearly a self-defense situation. Plus, many countries won't accept entry of a foreign-flagged merchant vessel if the crew is armed; without a controlling international authority, an armed merchant vessel is really just a pirate ship. You also have the matter of putting individual crewmen in a situation that they may or may not have had in mind when they decided to go to sea; the crew of the Alabama, for example, have said in court documents that they were expecting to be at least 600 miles out to sea (per State Department notices) when they rounded the Horn, but the captain took them to within 300 miles (which still seems really far out to me, but whatevs). It's really not just a simple matter of giving the crew guns and telling them to have at it.

Also found out recently that pirates have attempted to commandeer the Alabama three more times since the 2009 events depicted in the film. Yikes.

As to the SEALs, my understanding is that the negotiations were merely taking place as a stalling tactic. Once they arrived on-scene, it was just a matter of time before the pirates were vaporized; they really were laying on the fantail for the better part of three days waiting for that one magic moment when they had 'three green'. It was just a matter of whether or not they could get Phillips back alive in the process. I think the film does a decent job of conveying Captain Phillips' understanding of that; up until the Navy arrives he's pretty cool and mellow, but once the destroyer shows up he knows the clock is ticking, and he becomes much more jumpy and nervous and even attempts to escape. If the lifeboat got to 10-12 miles off the Somali coast, a SEAL Delivery Vehicle would have been launched with a 4-man crew, 60 pounds of explosives would have been attached to the hull of the lifeboat, and it would have been sunk in international waters. (At least that would be my presumption in that situation.) The U.S. military are not cops. They're not there to negotiate.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

wow, 3 more times since then, that's pretty wild. Have you read anything to the personalities of the pirates depicted in the movie? When it was done, my wife and I got into a discussion of how the film makes you sympathize with the pirates (at least Muse) in a way. I said I felt no sympathy at first, but the more I thought about it, the more you think they really don't have much choice, it's a messed up world and a strange thought. I still chanted USA when the seals did their thing. that was badass. It still amazes me that a simple fishing boat with a few AKs can do so much damage.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 am

Yeah, I have a great deal of empathy for the pirates. I mean, certainly can't excuse them or anything of that nature. But it's easy to see how they are in a this-or-nothing position. A lot of times they are coerced into piracy at the muzzle of a warlord's gun.

All four of the hijackers were older teenagers, altho one of them was never positively identified. As the post-script of the film says, Muse is serving a 33-year sentence in hoosegow. He declined participation in the film saying they'd just make him 'the bad guy'.... which I don't think the film does at all. Like you, i thought he was a fairly compelling character, given his situation. I think they took some dramatic liberties with the other characters, particularly Bug Eyes; I don't think any of them were that unhinged during the five days of the ordeal. But it was mostly as the film alludes; these guys are from dirt poor fishing villages whose waters have been fished out by foreign commercial vessels, and the local warlords have pressed them into piracy.

I did learn, however, that the Alabama was like the sixth or seventh ship taken in those waters that week. :shock:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:48 am

other attempts on the Alabama, guess they armed themselves after the first attempt...

November 2009 pirate attack
At 6:30 am on November 18, 2009, the Maersk Alabama was reportedly sailing some 350 nautical miles (650 km) east of Somalia when it was fired upon by four pirates wielding automatic weapons and traveling in a skiff. The assault failed after guards on the ship responded with small arms fire and acoustical weapons.[34] Afterward, a Djibouti-based patrol plane flew to the scene and an EU ship searched the area

September 2010 Suspicious Approach of Pirate Skiff
29 September 2010, the vessel was targeted by Somali pirates wielding AK-47s. The security force on board the Maersk Alabama repelled a skiff with 5 pirates approximately 1,530 kilometres (950 mi) east of Somalia. The incident went unnoticed in the press until November 2010 when CNN reported it

March 2011 attempted hijacking
8 March 2011, the vessel was again targeted by Somali pirates. A security force on board the Maersk Alabama fired warning shots and turned the suspects away

May 2011 attempted hijacking
Midnight, 14 May 2011, while transiting westbound in the international recognized corridor, Maersk Alabama was approached by a skiff of five pirates on the starboard stern. After turning to follow the ship's wake, the skiff quickly closed in to 30 metres (98 ft), preparing to board via a hook ladder, whereupon the embarked security team fired two shots into the skiff. The skiff quickly broke off and radar contact was lost after 10 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Maersk_Alabama
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Just started Captain America.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Who'll drop the noose on those goose stepping goons from Berlin?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Indiana Jones?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:51 am

SolidSnake wrote:Prisoners was a hell of a movie

It was good. I think it would benefit from a second viewing as well, but that's not something I'm exactly in a hurry to do with a 2 1/2 running time. Not that you feel any type of dragging at all the first time you're watching.

Spoiler:
I also didn't think the ending was all that ambiguous. Yes, Loki locates him and connects the dots. If one would want to argue (like I've seen some places) whether or not he rescues him right away, or gives him another day as retribution of sorts, then ok, but he's not going to leave a family (and specifically little girl he JUST busted his *** to rescue) without a father when he knows where he is -- would be completely out of character among the reasons I just listed.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:09 am

saw American Hustle. I was kinda bummed out by it, besides the great acting, it's a terribly average movie. I was really looking forward to it, but by the time the credits rolled, it didn't really do anything for me. It's not a bad movie, but it's pretty forgettable.

Also saw Frozen which I thought was great
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:28 am

Those are my pretty much my thoughts exactly regarding those two movies.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Pretty informative read on the making of Swingers: http://grantland.com/features/an-oral-history-swingers/
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby profpolisci on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Made it through an hour of Wolf Of Wall Street, about the same for American Hustle. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
...re-watched House Of Games. House of Games is in my top 10.
...will watch The Conversation for the third time.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Empire is releasing 25 different covers for the new x men movie. Does anyone put any time into the costumes at all? some of these are terrible

Spoiler:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Godfather III is not good, but I love the helicopter scene.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 pm

columbia wrote:Godfather III is not good, but I love the helicopter scene.

It's a movie with one good scene and a lot of suck.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nuge on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 pm

the wicked child wrote:
columbia wrote:Godfather III is not good, but I love the helicopter scene.

It's a movie with one good scene and a lot of suck.

The fact that they did not include Robert Duvall is a travesty. There were so many ways they could've went with a third movie that would've been great. They missed on just about every choice they made.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:09 pm

new TMNT movie pictures. They look pretty cool

Spoiler:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 pm

More like TMNT on steroids

Is Godric directing?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Machine Gun Preacher is incredible. Butler does an amazing job in the lead role.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:31 pm

"The Hunt." Danish movie from last year streaming on Netflix right now. Very, very well done.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:34 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Machine Gun Preacher is incredible. Butler does an amazing job in the lead role.

I've met the real guy a few times. Very nice. Not quite as much of a "Rambo" as the movie made him out to be but very, very dedicated to his mission. His church is only ~20 minutes from my house.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:41 pm

meecrofilm wrote:"The Hunt." Danish movie from last year streaming on Netflix right now. Very, very well done.

i dug this
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR