Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby columbia on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:11 am

Excellent use of the word anorak.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:26 am

Jim wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I like the plot twist that's alluded to in the second trailer, regarding the meaning of nuke tests in the Pacific as related to Gojira.

Seems like they are going for a direct sequel (of the original) rather than reboot, which I think is a really smart move. Has anyone noticed the other monsters in the trailer? Tif, I figured you may know, but does Warner Bros./Legendary own the rights to the other monsters beside Godzilla? There are definitely 2 others in that trailer

I saw 3 shots that were definitely something other than Godzilla.... but they could all have been Rodan, one certainly was.

* Pan up shot with Rodan flying straight down towards camera.
* 2 long pointy flat things diving into the water. (I thought these were Rodan's wing tips, wings pulled back to dive into the water like those diving birds)
* A long slender curved/hooked at the end thing hitting the ground. I thought that this could be a finger like thing on Rodan's wing like bats have. Or, maybe Kumonga's leg?

Yeah, I think those are all Rodan. Someone claims that the Shobijin that follow Mothra around are in the blown out rubble of Treasure Island building in the Vegas shot. Better eyes than mine, if that's the case.

Also, the money shot of the soldiers on the roof of the building in San Francisco firing the flares....... I'm not certain that's G. Not sure who else it might be, but I'm definitely of the opinion it's "other".

Fwiw, at ComiCon last summer the director said that his film is going to be more or less based on the 1954 original.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:28 am

That Godzilla movie looks legitimately scary and I think thats great. The red flare/red halo jump visual is awesome. You get the feeling from the first trailer that the inexperienced team is going in because there's no one left to send.

I hope it holds up ok in the second half of May time frame. Suspect quality not withstanding, its been a killer the past few years (After Earth, MIB3, Battleship, Robin Hood, Prince of Persia, Terminator Salvation, Speed Racer, Posiden). Its sandwiched in between Amazing Spider Man 2 and X Men Days of Future Past & Maleficent.
Last edited by pittsoccer33 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Jim wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I like the plot twist that's alluded to in the second trailer, regarding the meaning of nuke tests in the Pacific as related to Gojira.

Seems like they are going for a direct sequel (of the original) rather than reboot, which I think is a really smart move. Has anyone noticed the other monsters in the trailer? Tif, I figured you may know, but does Warner Bros./Legendary own the rights to the other monsters beside Godzilla? There are definitely 2 others in that trailer

I saw 3 shots that were definitely something other than Godzilla.... but they could all have been Rodan, one certainly was.

* Pan up shot with Rodan flying straight down towards camera.
* 2 long pointy flat things diving into the water. (I thought these were Rodan's wing tips, wings pulled back to dive into the water like those diving birds)
* A long slender curved/hooked at the end thing hitting the ground. I thought that this could be a finger like thing on Rodan's wing like bats have. Or, maybe Kumonga's leg?

Yeah, I think those are all Rodan. Someone claims that the Shobijin that follow Mothra around are in the blown out rubble of Treasure Island building in the Vegas shot. Better eyes than mine, if that's the case.

Also, the money shot of the soldiers on the roof of the building in San Francisco firing the flares....... I'm not certain that's G. Not sure who else it might be, but I'm definitely of the opinion it's "other".

Fwiw, at ComiCon last summer the director said that his film is going to be more or less based on the 1954 original.

good stuff here on the trailer and other monsters
http://io9.com/who-are-the-other-monsters-in-the-new-godzilla-trailer-1531048665
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 am

eddysnake wrote:Tif, I figured you may know, but does Warner Bros./Legendary own the rights to the other monsters beside Godzilla? There are definitely 2 others in that trailer

All the other monster IP would likely fall under 'Godzilla', as they're all the same studio; it's not like MGM owns Rocky Balboa but not Clubber Lang, for example. So I imagine the deal included the whole bucket of kaiju that appeared in the original Toho movies.

Hehe...... 'monster IP'....... :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:33 pm

definitely going to watch this tonight http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... -pi-682526

A new documentary traces the fall of leading VFX house Rhythm & Hues and is packed with information that explains the problematic VFX business model, as well provides some revealing moments that expose how the troubles have impacted those involved.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:17 pm

That's what happens when you make a movie that sucks...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 pm

It grossed five times its production budget.

R&H went belly up because of systemic failures of the VFX industry as a whole.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:25 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:definitely going to watch this tonight http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... -pi-682526

A new documentary traces the fall of leading VFX house Rhythm & Hues and is packed with information that explains the problematic VFX business model, as well provides some revealing moments that expose how the troubles have impacted those involved.

Graphic designer buddy is watching this at his desk now. Forgot how badly the Academy and Ang Lee treated R&H the night of the Oscars.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Grunthy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Godzilla looks like it could be legendary.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dodint on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Rush will be the next blu-ray I buy. Then probably Gravity. I've bought about 5 BDs in the last 3 years but I really want to enjoy those movies again on my own system.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 am

tifosi77 wrote:It grossed five times its production budget.

Yeah, because people drank the cool-aid and believed the "best picture" type hype. Then they saw it... and not one talked about it again. Reason... because it actually sucked.

Sometimes I do wonder if the movie industry pushes a movie that they know isn't good... but just by tacking Oscar buzz to it they see if they can get the people to flock to see it. Sort of like... giving Mike Green (Caps) Norris Trophy buzz all year and suddenly the hockey world thinks that he is the best thing since sliced bread. Then people actually watch him play defense and no one talks about him anymore.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:14 am

what movie are you talking about Jim?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 am

eddysnake wrote:what movie are you talking about Jim?

My guess is Life of Pi
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 am

oh, I liked that movie. Much better book though.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 am

Muppets Take Manhattan...
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 am

Darren aronofsky movies are weird
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:

oh, I like that movie. follows the real life story pretty close.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:04 am

Jim wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:It grossed five times its production budget.

Yeah, because people drank the cool-aid and believed the "best picture" type hype. Then they saw it... and not one talked about it again. Reason... because it actually sucked.

Sometimes I do wonder if the movie industry pushes a movie that they know isn't good... but just by tacking Oscar buzz to it they see if they can get the people to flock to see it. Sort of like... giving Mike Green (Caps) Norris Trophy buzz all year and suddenly the hockey world thinks that he is the best thing since sliced bread. Then people actually watch him play defense and no one talks about him anymore.

I don't understand how you can conflate the business woes of the FVX house - that were locked in place before the film was ever even released - with the quality the film they were working on. The filed for bankruptcy like 11 days before the Oscars last year, but that was the endgame of a series of events that stretched back to 2009 when R&H was engaged to do the VFX on a fixed-price contract. You're claiming fault lies in the quality of the final product, when the reality is that before a single frame of live action was ever even shot - before any actors were even cast - the ultimate demise of R&H was the likely outcome of their work on Pi.

I mean, you can say it goes back further than that even, if you want to take an industry-wide perspective of why a noted and respected VFX house was even in the position of doing fixed-price work in the first place.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:28 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:

Together again....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:17 pm

Watched the last half hour of Iceman and the last half hour of Glengarry Glen Ross last night in bed. Not sure why I started watching one without finishing the other the previous few nights.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:40 pm

blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Is the "re-write" throwing it into a fire? We can only hope.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:12 pm

I don't necessarily agree with all of these, but some of them are still pretty funny:

http://deadspin.com/the-2014-haters-gui ... 1531583276
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 pm

Watched The Wolf of Wallstreet on Monday. Wasn't bad at all.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR