Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 am

yeah, I think shock value is a good term for it. Technically it was wonderfully shot movie, so for me, it was almost like a free pass to exploit the violence on screen and I had a really tough time seeing past that. I think he was a very smart man and he has an incredible story, but I wanted more from his story rather than just his violent past.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:44 am

meecrofilm wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I thought most of the characters were 2 dimensional and would just pop in to move the story along (especially Brad Pitts Gandalf - Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn look to the east)

That gave me a good laugh. :lol:

I think I liked it a little more than you did (still not a huge huge fan), but also share many of your complaints.

I like how his production company is attached to the movie and he's conveniently one of the only redeeming people in the movie! I don't think I would ever want to play a part like Fassbender, Giamatti, Dano, etc did in the movie.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:50 am

Hah... never really dawned on me like that, but good call. Where was the Canadian accent though? C'mon Brad. The lulz... do it for them.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:14 am

I hope I didn't come off the wrong way with my thoughts on the movie, I just came across this review and thought it might be a little more to what I was trying to say.

There’s a difference between an “unflinching” look at something and an unflinching look at a person desperately trying to project “unflinching.” 12 Years a Slave is often upsetting for all the wrong reasons. It relegates atrocities to the level of camera tricks.

There’s a mean-spiritedness to the whole endeavor, and not in a gleeful, punky sort of way. I reject the idea that because slavery was cruel, that making a movie about it should be an act of unrelenting cruelty. Because it’s about a serious subject I should hate watching it? That makes it less effective. Art isn’t owed an audience.

http://www.uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2013/10/12-years-a-slave-review-negative/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:23 am

I understand what you're saying and the basis of your criticism. I think they were trying their best to project the experience of violence and dehumanization that were foundations of slavery, and if I didn't want to see that, I wouldn't have seen a modern movie about slavery.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:30 am

Django Unchained was a better film about the brutality of slavery. Though a bit cartoonish at times.

Somewhat political statement: (Don't click if you are only here for Movie talk.)
Spoiler:
My ancestors weren't even here during the slavery years, so I refuse to be manipulated or be made to feel "guilty" by these types of films.

White guilt is for suckers.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:34 am

Troy Loney wrote:I understand what you're saying and the basis of your criticism. I think they were trying their best to project the experience of violence and dehumanization that were foundations of slavery, and if I didn't want to see that, I wouldn't have seen a modern movie about slavery.

I didn't have a problem with that stuff actually. My main qualm was probably how they handled the passage of time. Why not just call it "An Indeterminable Amount of Time A Slave?" It's really tough to track main character development when you don't know what's happening when (aside from singing a spiritual, which, again, when is this taking place?).

Also, as I've said earlier, I didn't like the point at which the movie ended (plus his "goodbye wave" rubbed me the wrong way, even though that wasn't the intention).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:34 am

blackjack68 wrote:Django Unchained was a better film about the brutality of slavery. Though a bit cartoonish at times.

Somewhat political statement: (Don't click if you are only here for Movie talk.)
Spoiler:
My ancestors weren't even here during the slavery years, so I refuse to be manipulated or be made to feel "guilty" by these types of films.

White guilt is for suckers.

Spoiler:
Same. I can recognize the mistakes made without feeling they are somehow a part of my makeup. My ggg-grandfather fought for the PA 4th Cav Co B in the Civil War, if I'm going to spend time being personally invested in anything from that era it will be honoring him and their achievements.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:38 am

Spoiler:
Slave owners and people who helped with the underground railroad on my mom's side.

:shrug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby dodint on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:45 am

I lived at a civil war fort in NC for two summers. When they needed a reenactor to stand in, they always made me a Yankee. But, I got to live fire an 1841 6-pound field cannon, so it was worth being the outcast.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:04 am

meecrofilm wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I understand what you're saying and the basis of your criticism. I think they were trying their best to project the experience of violence and dehumanization that were foundations of slavery, and if I didn't want to see that, I wouldn't have seen a modern movie about slavery.

I didn't have a problem with that stuff actually. My main qualm was probably how they handled the passage of time. Why not just call it "An Indeterminable Amount of Time A Slave?" It's really tough to track main character development when you don't know what's happening when (aside from singing a spiritual, which, again, when is this taking place?).

Also, as I've said earlier, I didn't like the point at which the movie ended (plus his "goodbye wave" rubbed me the wrong way, even though that wasn't the intention).

I said a similar thing to my wife about the passage of time, I actually asked why it was called 12 years a slave at one point, not realizing then it was based on his book.

Maybe I over-exaggerated my feelings of guilt, but I'll be damned if it didn't make me uncomfortable watching it, it felt more like a horror movie than anything else. The American Experience on PBS had a really fantastic documentary called The Abolitionist. To me, that should receive more talk and examination, than what felt like an exploitation on slavery torture with beautiful cinematography.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:31 am

Oh. And I forgot -- Hans Zimmer totally ripped off his own score from Inception. The song "Time" that's played during the "emotional" scenes of that movie (like the end when they're getting off the plane) was just all over this movie, and it definitely served to take me out of it.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:48 pm

I watched about 20 minutes of 12 years a slave and shut it off. Once I saw he had young children, I didn't need to see the rest. Might read the book soon though.

Watched the Final Countdown for a few minutes...great movie for its time. tifosi would agree with me, I think. Probably could be remade.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:43 am

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is EASILY the best of the marvel movies. It's up there with The Dark Knight in terms of quality.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:28 am

Froggy wrote:Captain America: The Winter Soldier is EASILY the best of the marvel movies. It's up there with The Dark Knight in terms of quality.

good to hear, I'm excited for this one (even though I thought the first was pretty terrible after about 1/4 of the way through)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 am

eddysnake wrote:
Froggy wrote:Captain America: The Winter Soldier is EASILY the best of the marvel movies. It's up there with The Dark Knight in terms of quality.

good to hear, I'm excited for this one (even though I thought the first was pretty terrible after about 1/4 of the way through)

well you're stupid
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:31 am

who told you that?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:40 am

Various app manufacturers...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:50 am

I thought Captain was very good. It works well because its a timely Snowden era conspiracy movie that just happens to have a Marvel character in it.

For some reason I was dumb enough to leave after the first credits scene. Apparently there is a second one.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 am

I feel that we are the only people who have not seen Frozen so I rented it for this evening. Promo code from redbox came to .84 total for a blu ray
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 am

We have not seen Frozen yet either... might have to go pick it up.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:36 am

Mean Streets, Five Easy Pieces and Run Lola Run is my movie list for the weekend.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:53 am

Troy Loney wrote:Mean Streets, Five Easy Pieces and Run Lola Run is my movie list for the weekend.

I've always wanted to watch 5 easy pieces, never got around to it yet. mean streets and RLR are great
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:58 am

The 300 sequel and Need For Speed are both playing on base this week. $4 movie theater tickets for the latest showing. I'm going to NFS for sure, might work in 300 depending how much free time I can muster up.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:04 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I thought Captain was very good. It works well because its a timely Snowden era conspiracy movie that just happens to have a Marvel character in it.

For some reason I was dumb enough to leave after the first credits scene. Apparently there is a second one.

It didn't add anything to the overlying arc of the movie universe.

Spoiler:
Bucky/winter soldier visited the Smithsonian exhibit about Captain America, so he seems to be remembering who he is.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR