Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:54 pm

kristen bell looks like shes always on teh verge of tears
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,193
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Movie

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:40 pm

I'm not exactly encouraged by some of the Star Wars news that came out over the weekend. It's sounds like the script needed some reworking and they are still working on it. Apparently, filming has already started and there has been no official casting news yet. All of that is a bit worrying.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:45 pm

I never really had a ton of high hopes to begin with, but hopefully will be proven wrong.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,526
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Movie

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Kristen Bell is my favorite Red Wings fan.

Oh, talented too.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,157
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:54 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I'm not exactly encouraged by some of the Star Wars news that came out over the weekend. It's sounds like the script needed some reworking and they are still working on it. Apparently, filming has already started and there has been no official casting news yet. All of that is a bit worrying.


From what I gather, the filming aspect is pretty standard for a big budget movie. Usually second unit stuff with stunts and/or scenery.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,098
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Movie

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:I'm not exactly encouraged by some of the Star Wars news that came out over the weekend. It's sounds like the script needed some reworking and they are still working on it. Apparently, filming has already started and there has been no official casting news yet. All of that is a bit worrying.


From what I gather, the filming aspect is pretty standard for a big budget movie. Usually second unit stuff with stunts and/or scenery.


Well that's a little more encouraging.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:02 pm

keeping things under wrap is one thing, but the lack of news coming out about ep 7 is strangely unsettling. I don't think they have anything to worry about with ep. 7 because of anticipation, but I wonder how long do the fans stay loyal if it's garbage? They certainly made the right move pushing it back to Christmas 2015, but Disney better get this franchise off to a good start before they ruin the name (which may or may already be ruined)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,142
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:kristen bell looks like shes always on teh verge of tears


I'd still build a snowman with her...
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,266
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:04 pm

eddysnake wrote: (which may or may already be ruined)

I hope that was intentional.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,241
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
eddysnake wrote: (which may or may already be ruined)

I hope that was intentional.


pretty much, you can look at the franchise from a lot of different perspectives and say it was ruined at different times. That Holiday special aired in 78. Star Wars isn't the bible for me, I love the first 3, hell I even like battle of endor. prequeals are pretty bad, but I still watch and enjoy parts of them. I'm excited for the new flicks, but I'm not counting down the days. They can beat the franchise in the ground and I'll still stick around and check them out. It's different watching them with my kids and while my wife is pretty hardcore and won't watch the prequels with us, I still have fun with them. We just started watching the cartoon clone wars on netflix and I gotta say it's been pretty cool so far.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,142
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Yeah, Clone Wars was exceptional. Maybe it's just a deeper dive into the universe, but I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,157
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Peter Mayhew confirmed as Chewbacca for Star Wars VII. All concerns now gone.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,098
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Movie

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:Peter Mayhew confirmed as Chewbacca for Star Wars VII. All concerns now gone.


I love Mayhew, but the guy will be 70 this year, just had a double knee replacement, and is getting around in a wheelchair at the moment. I'm skeptical that he will be able to perform this role as necessary, but that's awesome that Chewie is back.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,992
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Movie

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Is he dressing up as Chewie, or is he just providing the gurgle?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,406
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Movie

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:56 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Is he dressing up as Chewie, or is he just providing the gurgle?


Chewbacca's voice was created from an amalgam of animal sounds. The only reason Mayhew would be in the movie is to suit up
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,992
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Movie

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Will Chewie have gray hair now?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,157
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Movie

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 am

Quick question if I go to the noon showing of Cap America will I be able to be back home by 3:00? It's about a 20-25 minute drive from the theater to my house. I know the movie is 2:15 long but I didn't know how much time the previews would add to the total.

Thanks
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:37 pm

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:41 am

Has anyone seen Out of the furnace or the book thief?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,142
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:56 am

I saw out of the furnace a couple weeks ago...i thought it was pretty good and definitely worth watching.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,241
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 am

rad thanks, was it a depressing drama or more of thriller?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,142
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:27 am

Watched The Book Thief a couple weeks ago. Anymore it seems like if a movie relates to WWII critics feel obligated to give it a good review. The movie was okay. Slow as all hell. The main girl and Geoffrey Rush were excellent. For some reason I was really put off by the characters speaking an odd combination of English with a German accent and German. Pick a damn language, this isn't Firefly.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,098
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Movie

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Probably discussed at length, but Anchorman II was virtually unwatchable.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,277
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm

eddysnake wrote:rad thanks, was it a depressing drama or more of thriller?

Pfidc made it out to be more depressing than it was...its pretty dark, but i wouldnt call it depressing. Not nice things fefinitely happen. I dont know if id call it a thriller but its not a drama either. Im not good at categorizing things like that though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,241
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Movie

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:55 pm

wolf of wall street...it was a fun movie and the writing was seriously top notch. i don't know if i remember a movie with dialogue that consistently sharp. but man...tooooo long. and repetitive.

Spoiler:
if you told me that 45% of the movie was him addressing his staff with a stirring speech mixed with cut shots of his employees yelling "f***" and sticking their middle fingers up, i'd believe you. there was a lot of fat that could have been trimmed (dwarf tossing logistic conversation, anyone?) and it took about 100 minutes to establish conflict (not exaggerating). plus, with anti-heroes, you usually have a walter white thing going on where you hate them, but you still root for them. this guy could go suck a lemon, after he punched his wife in the stomach and crashed his car with his kid in it. i didn't care at all what happened to him eventually.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,792
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Movie

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:08 pm

shmenguin wrote:wolf of wall street...it was a fun movie and the writing was seriously top notch. i don't know if i remember a movie with dialogue that consistently sharp. but man...tooooo long. and repetitive.

Spoiler:
if you told me that 45% of the movie was him addressing his staff with a stirring speech mixed with cut shots of his employees yelling "f***" and sticking their middle fingers up, i'd believe you. there was a lot of fat that could have been trimmed (dwarf tossing logistic conversation, anyone?) and it took about 100 minutes to establish conflict (not exaggerating). plus, with anti-heroes, you usually have a walter white thing going on where you hate them, but you still root for them. this guy could go suck a lemon, after he punched his wife in the stomach and crashed his car with his kid in it. i didn't care at all what happened to him eventually.


Spoiler:
I don't think an "anti-hero" narrative was ever even tried to be established. I don't remember the movie ever setting him up in a way that would lead you to root for him, or imply that it wanted you to do so. He was a scumbag all the way through, and yet, just like the audience in the final scene, you're still enraptured by how he was able to do it.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,526
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, Shyster and 8 guests


e-mail