Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri May 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Yeah, I really like Robert Downey, Jr's portrayal of Tony Stark. I enjoyed the film, but I can understand wanting to see MOAR Iron Man.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Sat May 10, 2014 11:03 am

Recoil magazine posted a fun photo on Facebook this morning:

Trying to ID everyone, I've got (standing, L-R)

Paul Riser (Carter Burke), Jenette Goldstein (Pvt. Vasquez), Mark Rolston (Pvt Drake), Sigourney Weaver (Ellen Ripley), Ricco Ross (Pvt Frost), Michael Biehn (Cpl. Dwayne Hicks), Carrie Henn (Rebecca Jorden, aka 'Newt'), Lance Henriksen (Bishop), Bill Paxton (Pvt Hudson).

The two kneeling guys have me terribly vexed. Al Matthews (Sgt Apone) is obviously not there, and neither are Cynthia Scott (Cpl. Dietrich), and Colette Hiller (Cpl. Ferro). So by process of elimination we are left with Trevor Steedman (Pvt Wierzbowski), Tip Tipping (Pvt Crowe), and William Hope (Lt Gorman) to pick from.

The kneeling guy on the right looks like Brazilian uber-chef Alex Atala.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Sat May 10, 2014 11:29 am

Paul Reiser, he old.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Sat May 10, 2014 9:08 pm

Finally getting around to the desolation of Smaug. Just dreadful. If ever a movie has so heavily relied on referencing the other films in the series to try and grab the watchers attention, id be interested in hearing it. Its literally like every 3 minutes, the story has this compulsion to throw in your face"hey this guy was in the original trilogy and/or look how clever we are referencing this" with a shallow storyline masking a money grab. The hobbit was my favorite of the series, but Jesus, its not worth the length invested cinematically speaking.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Yep, those returning characters were an embarrassment to the story. Outside of them, I still thought it was fun, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much as I did 10 years ago, but I'll be damned if watching movies with my kids doesn't change something.

Just watched ET with the family, I probably couldn't be friends with anyone who doesn't like that movie.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat May 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Wait you mean squeezing 3 movies out of the shortest book is a money grab and a slap in the face to fans. Color me shocked.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Sat May 10, 2014 9:19 pm

eddysnake wrote:Yep, those returning characters were an embarrassment to the story. Outside of them, I still thought it was fun, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much as I did 10 years ago, but I'll be damned if watching movies with my kids doesn't change something.

Just watched ET with the family, I probably couldn't be friends with anyone who doesn't like that movie.

I've never seen ET.

Spoiler:
lol j/k, I am human after all.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Wait you mean squeezing 3 movies out of the shortest book is a money grab and a slap in the face to fans. Color me shocked.

Ha. Fair enough.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat May 10, 2014 10:30 pm

Ah, Desolation of Smaug. One of the most disappointing movies I've seen in some time.

I was really skeptical going into An Unexpected Journey, but it ended up surprising me. While it was still my least favorite of the movies at that time, it was fun, and the cameos were done in a way that worked within the context of the movie. At that point, I was thinking, maybe this can work after all.

Then I saw DoS. Man, there is just so much wrong with this movie. As mentioned, they did their best to shoehorn returning characters like Legolas into the story as much as possible. They added completely unnecessary stuff like Filli (I think it was him anyway) getting shot with the Morgul arrow. Really? And that is to say nothing of the love triangle... that almost made me long for the days of Arwen is dying. Oh wait, no, it wasn't that bad... but I digress.

This movie was kind of hosed from the start because there was no good ending point. TTT ends with Helms Deep. That is a huge F-Yeah moment and brings a satisfying conclusion even though it's not truly a conclusion at all (in the grand scheme of things). DoS had to invent some cockamamie scheme that was utterly ridiculous, regardless of prior knowledge of the source material.

This was simply a collection of all the bad points of the PJ adaptations rolled into one and pumped up on steroids. Senseless plot changes for the sake of forcing drama? Check. Taking interesting action sequences and making them so OTT that you can't take them seriously? Check. Awful elf based "love" plot? Check. Beating you over the head with the ring and Sauron? Check.

I'm hoping that maybe when the EE comes out some additional material might salvage some of it for me, but it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I felt like they really should have resolved either the Smaug or the Necromancer plot line in that movie instead of saving them both for The Battle of the Five Armies... I'm concerned that it might end up being 25 pounds of **** stuffed into a 5 pound can.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat May 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Finally got around to watching Wreck It Ralph, was a very good and I dug all of the older game references.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 pm

glad you liked wreck it ralph. I thought it was near perfect until it devolved into fart jokes.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Sat May 10, 2014 11:05 pm

One redeeming aspect of Smaug is benedict cumberbatch. Shades of Tony Jay.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun May 11, 2014 1:34 am

Dude has the most British name in history. He's also awesome in Sherlock.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby neophool on Sun May 11, 2014 4:46 am

tifosi77 wrote:Recoil magazine posted a fun photo on Facebook this morning:

Trying to ID everyone, I've got (standing, L-R)

Paul Riser (Carter Burke), Jenette Goldstein (Pvt. Vasquez), Mark Rolston (Pvt Drake), Sigourney Weaver (Ellen Ripley), Ricco Ross (Pvt Frost), Michael Biehn (Cpl. Dwayne Hicks), Carrie Henn (Rebecca Jorden, aka 'Newt'), Lance Henriksen (Bishop), Bill Paxton (Pvt Hudson).

The two kneeling guys have me terribly vexed. Al Matthews (Sgt Apone) is obviously not there, and neither are Cynthia Scott (Cpl. Dietrich), and Colette Hiller (Cpl. Ferro). So by process of elimination we are left with Trevor Steedman (Pvt Wierzbowski), Tip Tipping (Pvt Crowe), and William Hope (Lt Gorman) to pick from.

The kneeling guy on the right looks like Brazilian uber-chef Alex Atala.

wow this photo is awesome! no Sgt. Apone sucks tho.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun May 11, 2014 9:42 am

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon May 12, 2014 12:58 am

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... -time.html

This list is pretty much everything I love about movies.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:46 am

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 am

Froggy wrote:http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/05/the-100-best-b-movies-of-all-time.html

This list is pretty much everything I love about movies.

The list maker is being exceptionally generous in their definition of a 'B' movie. But yeah, scanned the whole list and I think I've probably seen about a quarter of them.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Mon May 12, 2014 7:10 pm

The top ten had Troll 2, The Room, Miami Connection, Samurai Cop, and Hard Ticket to Hawaii. That's a major win in my book.

In unrelated news, it looks like I'm going to be going to Austin to check out the Housecore Horror Festival in October. It's a horror and metal convention run by Phil Anselmo. The big draw this year is a 40th Anniversary screening of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with most of the original cast in attendance. It should be a good time, even if I can't stand metal.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Mon May 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Froggy wrote:The top ten had Troll 2, The Room, Miami Connection, Samurai Cop, and Hard Ticket to Hawaii. That's a major win in my book.

In unrelated news, it looks like I'm going to be going to Austin to check out the Housecore Horror Festival in October. It's a horror and metal convention run by Phil Anselmo. The big draw this year is a 40th Anniversary screening of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with most of the original cast in attendance. It should be a good time, even if I can't stand metal.

Sweet. Bring back lots of recs.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 12, 2014 8:10 pm

Friend just dropped some knowledge on me..... Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton are the only people to have been killed on-screen by a terminator, a xenomorph and a predator.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:02 am

Jennette Goldstein was killed by a terminator and a xenomorph. And a boat.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Tue May 13, 2014 9:19 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:Jennette Goldstein was killed by a terminator and a xenomorph. And a boat.

She wasn't killed by a xenomorph. She was killed by a grenade
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:54 am

Honorable harakiri with Lt Gorman.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR