Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:01 am

I haven't noticed a lot of talk on here about the summer's new movies (Xmen, Godzilla, Transformers, Spiderman). Is that because no one wants to see them or because you're waiting to watch at home (as many people seemed to express that they prefer)?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:21 am

It takes a lot for me to actually see a movie in the theater. I don't do Imax or 3d. So unless it's something I really want to see I'll wait for it to hit bluray and pay less to buy it then I would spend for two tickets, popcorn, and drinks for a night at the movies.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:I haven't noticed a lot of talk on here about the summer's new movies (Xmen, Godzilla, Transformers, Spiderman). Is that because no one wants to see them or because you're waiting to watch at home (as many people seemed to express that they prefer)?

Loved X Men, hated Spider Man, kind of meh about Godzilla, no interest at all in seeing transformers
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:48 am

Saw none of the movies, but saw someone describe Transformers thusly:
Spoiler:
"They found a way to make Optimus Prime riding a Fire-breathing dinosaur boring".
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:50 am

I would agree with that spoiler. It was honest to goodness boring. And while you're bored you have more time to think about how little sense it makes.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 am

will we ever get to a point where you can stream new release movies? i would rather pay 20 bucks and stay at home and watch a new movie in my jammers than go to the movies
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:01 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:will we ever get to a point where you can stream new release movies? i would rather pay 20 bucks and stay at home and watch a new movie in my jammers than go to the movies

I'd say there is a 100% chance of that and that its not that far away. Walk of Shame was just released recently on itunes/VOD at the same time as it went to theaters.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:will we ever get to a point where you can stream new release movies? i would rather pay 20 bucks and stay at home and watch a new movie in my jammers than go to the movies

You can now. Prima Cinema is $35,000 just for the player, not including the [corporate quality approved] projection set up. A thumb print scan is taken to prove the owner is watching the film, and the one time viewing rental is $500.

But beyond Elon Musk and Dr Dre smaller films are starting to do it now. The hockey movie Goon was released onto iTunes and whatnot while it was still showing up in theaters.

Warner I think has piloted a system where a recently released film (say 3 weeks or so into it's run) can be rented for $30. Thats kind of what you're mentioning.

A theater-less distribution system would fundamentally alter the entire Hollywood landscape. For most films the bulk of all money made is in the theater (and in a few years China will supplant the US as the top grossing country). And it is made in the first 10 days or so of release. After 10 days more of the ticket money goes elseware (like the theaters).

Money made on ticket sales goes back to the production arm of a studio - the people who put up money to make the film. Money made on DVD sales, Netflix streaming rights, ad naseum repeats on FX, etc goes to another part of the company who had nothing to do with production costs.

3D, Imax, XD, D-Box, etc are all things to try getting you out of your house and into a theater. Everything about most movies (sound and picture wise) is decided based on the idea of you watching it on a projection screen in a large room.

What the China factor will do to movies is pretty interesting. When the majority of the money is made there then Hollywood will aim China as their audience for the tent pole pictures.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:05 am

Sounds like how musicians make their money. They rake in all their cash from concerts (tickets, merch, etc.). The money made from CD/iTunes sales is negligible compared to that. I can understand why streaming new movies at home is so expensive and I don't see it getting much cheaper.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:11 am

The home release window has shrunk considerably. Given the way money is divided up now I bet the studios would be game to release discs and on demand a month after theaterical release - they're even experimenting with digital sales before physical ones. But they need the theaters open with the movies playing to make all the cash in the first few weeks.

The theaters however are apoplectic about that window shrinking because they make more money on a handful of tickets in release week 5 than they do on a packed auditorium on opening night. Hence your $6 Pepsi.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:11 pm

The catering to China has been interesting/weird to see evolve. The two biggest examples I can think of are Iron Man 3 with their Chinese edition of the film that included a few scenes that were not part of any other version of the film and an extremely obvious product placement (might as well have been a commercial mid-movie) and the new Transformers movie which aired a reality show competition in China to cast four roles in the film. Studios are trying to integrate China into a larger role in tent pole movies (filming in China, Chinese actors and products) while trying not to aggravate American audiences. Basically cultivating their next cash cow but attempting not to tick off their current cash cow.

How long before we have a blockbuster movie that takes place primarily in China or features a Chinese lead? Or since Americans generally disdain foreign language films and films with subtitles, do we see studios releasing an Iron Man movie with RDJ as Tony Stark and Gwenyth Paltrow as Pepper Potts to American and International audiences, while China gets a version with RDJ as Tony Stark and Fan Bingbing as Pepper Potts(just as an example)? There's a lot of money to be made in China and studios are going to find everyway possible to get that money in their pockets.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:09 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:A theater-less distribution system would fundamentally alter the entire Hollywood landscape. For most films the bulk of all money made is in the theater (and in a few years China will supplant the US as the top grossing country). And it is made in the first 10 days or so of release. After 10 days more of the ticket money goes elseware (like the theaters).

It's scaled, depending on the film. For a big summer blockbuster, probably somewhere around 90% of the opening week ticket money goes straight to the distributor/studio. After that, the share changes every subsequent week until it reaches a 50/50 split, usually somewhere around week 7 or 8 of release. Now think back and try to remember the last time you saw a movie that was still selling enough tickets in its 7th week of release to warrant the theater even occupying a room with it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:11 pm

So who would do the 35,000 + 500 per movie set up? People with big theaters? What's the npoint
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:05 am

I'm starting Crystal Lake Memories; a 6 hour and 40 minute history of the Friday the 13th franchise. There is almost no chance I can watch this in 1 sitting. I'm pretty stoked to get such a comprehensive behind the scenes look at one of the most successful franchises in movie history.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Friday the 13th part III knocked ET off of the top of the box office. Wow...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I'm starting Crystal Lake Memories; a 6 hour and 40 minute history of the Friday the 13th franchise. There is almost no chance I can watch this in 1 sitting. I'm pretty stoked to get such a comprehensive behind the scenes look at one of the most successful franchises in movie history.

Is this streaming somewhere? Loved that franchise growing up.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 pm

I have 1 hour left. Learned so much about the franchise today. Corey Feldman wanted to give up Goonies for part V. Tom Savini was a battle photographer in Vietnam. Sean S. Cunningham is a jerk (he hates the hockey mask). Part III was the first film to use the new 3D camera. Every single film made tons of money except X.

If you like the franchise I highly recommend it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 pm

My movies from this weekend:

- American History X (seen it a few times already, just put it on in the background)
- Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949, with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra)
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Watching Pompeii. Pretty meh. Nothing new here.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Does Kit Harrington play a warmer weather Jon Snow?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 pm

I just watched Side Effects, a Steven Soderbergh film from last year I'd never heard of. It was pretty great. Lots of twists, but they all felt organic and true to the story. Absolutely great ending.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Froggy wrote:I just watched Side Effects, a Steven Soderbergh film from last year I'd never heard of. It was pretty great. Lots of twists, but they all felt organic and true to the story. Absolutely great ending.

I liked it a lot. Random find on Netflix one day. I like what I've seen from him.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 am

Caught just a few early minutes of 21 Grams. Was drawn in. Rest of it worth it?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 am

Labored through Lost Highway last weekend...it's sort of one of those things that if someone said they thought it great. i'd either think they were lying or delusional.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am

dodint wrote:Watching Pompeii. Pretty meh. Nothing new here.

It was better than I was expecting, but then I was expecting it to be a steaming pile... so... no steam...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR