Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Watching The Greatest Movie Ever Sold. Mr Sheetz seems like a big Ovechkin.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:04 am

Mr sheetz? Jaff Decker?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:42 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:I thought it was pretty good. It was gross/gory but didn't bother me. Not really anything does though.

The worms....

Was this a Coen Brothers movie, cause it had NO FREAKING ENDING. I liked everything up until the "derp ran out of budget so just use cut 2 and end this thing" final scene. Grrrr.

Unrelated, Man on Fire was very good.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 am

Eismann wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:I thought it was pretty good. It was gross/gory but didn't bother me. Not really anything does though.

The worms....

Was this a Coen Brothers movie, cause it had NO FREAKING ENDING. I liked everything up until the "derp ran out of budget so just use cut 2 and end this thing" final scene. Grrrr.

I think it was intentional. We've seen what happens next dozens of times.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:57 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Eismann wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

The worms....

I think it was intentional. We've seen what happens next dozens of times.

Was like District 9 meets V/H/S meets The Fly. Was hoping they had more clarity around some of the mystery dudes.

Edit: Wikied it. Forgot about the opening scene. Still pretty cryptic and a bit of a leap to tie it to the cause/effect, but it makes more sense now.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:53 pm

I'm going to continue my Monuments Men rant (spoilered, but don't watch it if you haven't seen it)

Spoiler:
The flow is just so stupidly episodic it's ridiculous

*cut to John Goodman and that other guy*

"Hey we are being sniped from a tower!! Let's sneak up on him!!! It's a kid...end scene"

*cut to Bill Murray and that guy that played the NBC exec on Seinfeld*

"Oh no, this German caught me in the woods!! Oh wait, Bill Murray has cigarettes. lol John Wayne end scene"

*cut to the British guy*

"I better stop this Nazi from looting Mother and Child...shoot (miss) oh no I'm dead, end scene"

George Clooney and Matt Damon: "His death...that's a hell of a thing

I mean seriously, I know Clooney is respected, but my God this was terrible
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:55 am

Were the Harry Potter movies critically acclaimed (like LOTR was)? Or were they just popular because the books/franchise at large was popular (like Transformers/Spiderman/etc)?

I just ask because I thought they were genuinely well liked as movies and last night I finally watched the first one. I had too many questions to think that the story telling was as solid as it's reputation.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 am

Eismann wrote:Unrelated, Man on Fire was very good.

I never hear anyone mention this movie, but I absolutely loved it. It's almost like two movies in one. The first half is kind of light-hearted, then it takes a very dark turn and Denzel Washington just goes into straight-up ass kicking mode.

Best line of the movie: "I wish... you had... more time."

I can see where some might not care for how it ended, but I thought it worked quite well.

Definitely not a "feel good" movie, but one I really enjoyed.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:21 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:Were the Harry Potter movies critically acclaimed (like LOTR was)? Or were they just popular because the books/franchise at large was popular (like Transformers/Spiderman/etc)?

I just ask because I thought they were genuinely well liked as movies and last night I finally watched the first one. I had too many questions to think that the story telling was as solid as it's reputation.

i liked them as a supporter of the books and a fun movie to watch
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:32 am

I haven't seen any of the HP movies... never really had any desire to.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby obhave on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:37 am

I watched them because of the books and really did enjoy them. I actually watch them more often than LOTR.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:41 am

Dawn of The Planet of The Apes was the best movie I've seen so far this year. I really enjoyed Rise of The Planet of The Apes, but Dawn was a vast improvement in every way. The human performances in the movie were excellent, but once again Andy Serkis' motion capture work steals the show. Actor performance, action scenes, tension building, villains, plot, pacing, its just an all around fantastic movie.

If I have one concern about the future of the series...
Spoiler:
to this point in the series the apes and their growing society have been more likeable and easier to root for than the humans. That feeling was subdued a bit in this film because the main villain was an ape and humans were simply trying to survive and did not provoke the war, but I'm not feeling a "damn dirty ape" moment building in this series. Caesar (and his son) is too likeable and too focused on maintaining the peace between the two species to turn into a brutal leader that helps the apes domineer over humans.

After the first two movies in this reboot, I have faith they'll find an appropriate way to tackle this issue. I imagine the impending ape war with the military might set civilization back even further. I'm also interested to see how they work the missing astronauts/time dilation into future movies.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:Were the Harry Potter movies critically acclaimed (like LOTR was)? Or were they just popular because the books/franchise at large was popular (like Transformers/Spiderman/etc)?

i liked them as a supporter of the books and a fun movie to watch

I agree with this. I don't think they ever got oscar nominated by anything other than technical awards (maybe Jim Broadbent got a nom though). The first 2 are pretty good in respects to the actual story and they stumble on film a bit because of the kid actors, but I feel like after that they really get much better all around and by the end you really do get pulled into the world and the characters stories.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:46 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Dawn of The Planet of The Apes was the best movie I've seen so far this year. I really enjoyed Rise of The Planet of The Apes, but Dawn was a vast improvement in every way. The human performances in the movie were excellent, but once again Andy Serkis' motion capture work steals the show. Actor performance, action scenes, tension building, villains, plot, pacing, its just an all around fantastic movie.

Spoiler:
to this point in the series the apes and their growing society have been more likeable and easier to root for than the humans. That feeling was subdued a bit in this film because the main villain was an ape and humans were simply trying to survive and did not provoke the war, but I'm not feeling a "damn dirty ape" moment building in this series. Caesar (and his son) is too likeable and too focused on maintaining the peace between the two species to turn into a brutal leader that helps the apes domineer over humans.

After the first two movies in this reboot, I have faith they'll find an appropriate way to tackle this issue. I imagine the impending ape war with the military might set civilization back even further. I'm also interested to see how they work the missing astronauts/time dilation into future movies.

Watched Rise again last night in anticipation to seeing dawn tomorrow in theaters. Really looking forward to it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:50 am

the wicked child wrote:
Eismann wrote:Unrelated, Man on Fire was very good.

I never hear anyone mention this movie, but I absolutely loved it. It's almost like two movies in one. The first half is kind of light-hearted, then it takes a very dark turn and Denzel Washington just goes into straight-up ass kicking mode.

Best line of the movie: "I wish... you had... more time."

I can see where some might not care for how it ended, but I thought it worked quite well.

Definitely not a "feel good" movie, but one I really enjoyed.

Agree on all points. Just wish i hadn't seen it on Reelz where it lasted 3:30.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:51 am

the HP books were released when I was starting high school, so I guess I wrote them off as being kiddie books, though over time I'm come to understand them to be really good and not just childrens books.

but I just had so many basic questions I didn't get. do the movies exist in our real world? are normal people aware of the existence of magic? is there a government agency that regulates it? is there like a military unit of adult magicians similar to the avengers that deal with magic threats? why are there so many dangerous areas in a children's school? why isnt there better security, considering the presence of evil magicians?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 am

eddysnake wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Dawn of The Planet of The Apes was the best movie I've seen so far this year. I really enjoyed Rise of The Planet of The Apes, but Dawn was a vast improvement in every way. The human performances in the movie were excellent, but once again Andy Serkis' motion capture work steals the show. Actor performance, action scenes, tension building, villains, plot, pacing, its just an all around fantastic movie.

Spoiler:

Watched Rise again last night in anticipation to seeing dawn tomorrow in theaters. Really looking forward to it.

I'm probably going to watch Rise again this week and next weekend go see Dawn in theaters again. I enjoyed it that much.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:04 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:the HP books were released when I was starting high school, so I guess I wrote them off as being kiddie books, though over time I'm come to understand them to be really good and not just childrens books.

but I just had so many basic questions I didn't get. do the movies exist in our real world? are normal people aware of the existence of magic? is there a government agency that regulates it? is there like a military unit of adult magicians similar to the avengers that deal with magic threats? why are there so many dangerous areas in a children's school? why isnt there better security, considering the presence of evil magicians?

my wife got me to read them after the 4th movie came out (i wrote them off as kiddie books too) and I read the entire series that summer (those books actually got me back into reading regularly again), I thought they were wonderful and some of them got pretty heavy as they went on. I definitely shed some tears in both the books and movies. All your questions are answered if you continue with the movies or start reading the books.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:20 am

Harry Potter...i hope more of the mythology is explained in the book because the story telling in the movies isn't very good. they're enjoyable flicks that i enjoyed watching, but there are a lot of issues with defining the rules of the world they live in.

...but if the approach was that they were making movies for kids, i guess covering up plot holes is less of a priority - rightfully.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:29 am

shmenguin wrote:...but if the approach was that they were making movies for kids, i guess covering up plot holes is less of a priority - rightfully.

Yea thats where I was confused. Kids would accept that they go to magic school and it has tons of dangerous areas and monsters running around. It would be for fun to see another kid fighting monsters.

I was impressed with some of the scary imagery in it. It kind of reminded me of the dark fantasy movies of the 80s like Gremlins and Neverending Story. They don't do that kind of stuff much anymore.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:...but if the approach was that they were making movies for kids, i guess covering up plot holes is less of a priority - rightfully.

Yea thats where I was confused. Kids would accept that they go to magic school and it has tons of dangerous areas and monsters running around. It would be for fun to see another kid fighting monsters.

I was impressed with some of the scary imagery in it. It kind of reminded me of the dark fantasy movies of the 80s like Gremlins and Neverending Story. They don't do that kind of stuff much anymore.

kids probably won't have any issues with the fact that there is a faculty full of expert magicians and none of them seem to be interested in using magic to solve very serious problems. or that, with all the tools at their disposal, battles seem to come down to pointing your wand at your foe and saying, "BLAMMO!".

there's a very small thing from the goblet of fire that bugs me more than it should. ignoring the fact that they're having this competition where kids are put in a position to...well...die (why's the dead kid's dad so shocked at the end, by the way? he was fighting a dragon a few days ago. it's part of the game, right? kids almost die all the time at this school), there's that thing where they make the contestants figure out that they need to go to the lake for the next event. it's a major source of stress for harry, and if he doesn't figure it out, he's DQ'd or whatever. then he has the creepy bath with the dead girl and figures it out. cool. but why, then, is the entire school at the lake to watch the event? was it really that big of a deal (like it was pumped up to be) for him to figure it out, when they seemingly just announced it on a bulletin board for everyone or whatever? it's a little thing, but the movies are so inconsistent with portraying the stakes for various happenings that it gets pretty annoying.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Not sure if restaurant related or movie related but has anyone been to the latitude place in Robinson for dine in movie?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:29 pm

I ate at their restaurant, which I'd assume shares the menu/kitchen. I just got a hamburger and an appetizer (I forget which but remember thinking it was tiny for the price). It was comparable to any suburban sprawl chain - not awesome but nothing really wrong with it.

For now I know they are only showing films late in their run. When I was there in May I think they were showing Divergent.

The whole place (minus the sports bar area) gave me the strangest vibe. I felt like its the kind of place people who are scared of the inner city think a good night out is. Like a tourist trap in the Pointe at North Fayette.

The sports bar was very cool. A sort of stadium seating area with a mix of very large projection screens and large televisions. Its how I imagine a top notch Vegas sports book area looking.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:18 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

Spoiler:

I'm probably going to watch Rise again this week and next weekend go see Dawn in theaters again. I enjoyed it that much.

Rewatching it (which was still really good) I forgot that they had a couple background scenes with the Icarus rocket sending astronauts to mars and then later it being lost in space. While it's obviously a shout-out to the originals, I wonder if they will bring that back in a further sequel...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 pm

I have a hard time wanting to see the new Ape movies. They are prequels to a story in which the human race has been enslaved by apes. I know how it ends and it's not a happy ending. That makes me less inclined to watch.

I'm not belittling the movies at all. I'm sure they are entertaining.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR