Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:25 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I have a hard time wanting to see the new Ape movies. They are prequels to a story in which the human race has been enslaved by apes. I know how it ends and it's not a happy ending. That makes me less inclined to watch.

I'm not belittling the movies at all. I'm sure they are entertaining.

I watched Rise on Friday night for the first time ever since I heard how good this new movie is (I thought Rise was just OK). And thats the reason it took me so long - you know its not going to end well. Thats why it took me years to see Titanic.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:28 pm

I understand they try and eek out some sort of "humans are bad" motive that might make one root for the monkeys but I can't do it. I already know the team I am rooting for is going to lose.

I enjoy post apocalyptic and zombie films but even those don't have a cut and dry winner at the end. Maybe the band of people you are rooting for find some sort of refuge. I know for a fact that (spoiler alert) humans lose in the end.

I totally get your Titanic point as I was the same way. I eventually did see it though.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:43 pm

I have no problem rooting for the apes. Also, it's a different movie than the originals, stop comparing everything and try to enjoy something for what it is.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:44 pm

"The only good human is a dead human."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:50 pm

the franco ape movie wasn't that good. i'm surprised everyone loved it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:51 pm

eddysnake wrote:I have no problem rooting for the apes. Also, it's a different movie than the originals, stop comparing everything and try to enjoy something for what it is.

I'm not comparing to the originals. I haven't seen them. I did see the Mark Wahlberg remake and I was assuming these are prequels to that. Am I incorrect in that assumption?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:53 pm

I think at this point the two new-ish films are canon to the originals. They may go in a different direction in the coming years though. The Tim Burton one is in it's own universe.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:55 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I think at this point the two new-ish films are canon to the originals. They may go in a different direction in the coming years though. The Tim Burton one is in it's own universe.

Yeah, that one was awful and I don't think that they would backfill that story line. I'm hoping to see the new one this week, but I get the sense that the 3rd one could be analogous to Battle for Planet.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:04 pm

shmenguin wrote:the franco ape movie wasn't that good. i'm surprised everyone loved it.

It's a strange thing when not only are the CGI apes better actors than the humans in the movie, but you actually care more about them. That's what I liked about the movie. It's not your typical flick, I like how they present the apes and find them far more interesting than anything else. Like in the 2nd half of Rise, I'm hoping Dawn focuses more on the apes and the humans play 2nd string. I could watch an entire movie watching these apes sign with a few spoken lines from the humans to play it out.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Just saw the new Apes movie last night. It was great. Not the typical movie, or "THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS, THESE ARE THE GOOD GUYS" kind of story. You get immersed on both sides.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 pm

GSdrums87 wrote: Not the typical movie, or "THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS, THESE ARE THE GOOD GUYS" kind of story. You get immersed on both sides.

That was the best and most interesting thing about Troy. The circumstances of each scene changed which side you were rooting for. But ultimately you're just rooting for it to end.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:24 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote: Not the typical movie, or "THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS, THESE ARE THE GOOD GUYS" kind of story. You get immersed on both sides.

That was the best and most interesting thing about Troy. The circumstances of each scene changed which side you were rooting for. But ultimately you're just rooting for it to end.

Yeah, good lord was Troy awful.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:32 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:

Yeah, good lord was Troy awful.

Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom are terrible in this. I still enjoy watching the directors cut every once in a while, but those 2 make me cringe
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:33 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Just saw the new Apes movie last night. It was great. Not the typical movie, or "THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS, THESE ARE THE GOOD GUYS" kind of story. You get immersed on both sides.

Definitely. The apes we the main characters in the movie, but the humans got enough screen time that you became involved and empathetic to both sides.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:04 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I have no problem rooting for the apes. Also, it's a different movie than the originals, stop comparing everything and try to enjoy something for what it is.

I'm not comparing to the originals. I haven't seen them. I did see the Mark Wahlberg remake and I was assuming these are prequels to that. Am I incorrect in that assumption?

oh, well then check it out. Regardless if you know how it ends, the ride can still be fun. There is something extremely unsettling about the way the apes handle themselves and I think you may dig it. If it doesn't work out for you, just put on the adventures of baron munchausen which is streaming on netflix.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:25 pm

I think I've seen some Nick Cave fans on here... so here you go

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm

i was gonna post something about limitless, but a quick search showed me that everyone else had the same thoughts i did. smartest guy on earth foiled by things that much dumber audience saw coming a mile away. still a fun watch, though.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:07 pm

shmenguin wrote:i was gonna post something about limitless, but a quick search showed me that everyone else had the same thoughts i did. smartest guy on earth foiled by things that much dumber audience saw coming a mile away. still a fun watch, though.

my only real issue with that movie is him feeling the need to borrow money from the russians. he was increasing his money exponentially, so in a day or two, he would have had that money anyway, without being on the hook to gangsters and risk exposing his drug to criminals.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Froggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i was gonna post something about limitless, but a quick search showed me that everyone else had the same thoughts i did. smartest guy on earth foiled by things that much dumber audience saw coming a mile away. still a fun watch, though.

my only real issue with that movie is him feeling the need to borrow money from the russians. he was increasing his money exponentially, so in a day or two, he would have had that money anyway, without being on the hook to gangsters and risk exposing his drug to criminals.

Yeah he saved like 3 days of investing by borrowing that money. There was no need for him to do that. And he definitely wouldn't have forgotten to pay it back. And he had a seemingly infinite supply of pills in that little bag. And he wouldn't have kept the bag in a coat that he would hand over to a group of people and then leave the room...and so forth. Lots of plot holes but it was fun enough. I wish they would have expanded a little more on different practical uses of his super power. It was like "the invention of lying" and to a lesser extent "chronicle". I want to see more exploration of the premise before things get real. It's fun to see the goofing around.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:22 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Dawn of The Planet of The Apes was the best movie I've seen so far this year. I really enjoyed Rise of The Planet of The Apes, but Dawn was a vast improvement in every way. The human performances in the movie were excellent, but once again Andy Serkis' motion capture work steals the show. Actor performance, action scenes, tension building, villains, plot, pacing, its just an all around fantastic movie.

If I have one concern about the future of the series...
Spoiler:
to this point in the series the apes and their growing society have been more likeable and easier to root for than the humans. That feeling was subdued a bit in this film because the main villain was an ape and humans were simply trying to survive and did not provoke the war, but I'm not feeling a "damn dirty ape" moment building in this series. Caesar (and his son) is too likeable and too focused on maintaining the peace between the two species to turn into a brutal leader that helps the apes domineer over humans.

After the first two movies in this reboot, I have faith they'll find an appropriate way to tackle this issue. I imagine the impending ape war with the military might set civilization back even further. I'm also interested to see how they work the missing astronauts/time dilation into future movies.

I watched Dawn last night. Loved it. Thinking about it after, it's testament to how well made this movie is to think there is a scene with an ape riding a horse firing 2 machine guns in slow motion with an explosion behind him and you know it's probably the most ridiculous thing you've seen in a movie, but it comes across as terrifying/badass. The movie in general is so preposterous if you really think about it, but I was so invested in the entire thing that I never once felt that feeling while watching, hell I even got choked up a few times. The CGI is absolutely stunning and the human actors are excellent.

Spoiler:
My wife and I were talking about the next movie and that was our concern as well. Where do they go? If they just focus on the military war next, it will kind of feel like a rehash of this movie. Do they jump way ahead into the future?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:38 am

Just a general question. I am very int osci-fi and such but have no desire to see these "...of the Apes" films... but... where do all of the apes come from? Are they all from zoos and labs?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:43 am

Jim wrote:Just a general question. I am very int osci-fi and such but have no desire to see these "...of the Apes" films... but... where do all of the apes come from? Are they all from zoos and labs?

If you are very into sci-fi, how do you have no desire to see arguably the best sci-fi series (planet of the apes as a series in it's entirety) ever presented in cinema? zoos and labs are what is shown in the 1st, next one is 10 years later and they have children of their own.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:50 am

eddysnake wrote:
Jim wrote:Just a general question. I am very int osci-fi and such but have no desire to see these "...of the Apes" films... but... where do all of the apes come from? Are they all from zoos and labs?

If you are very into sci-fi, how do you have no desire to see arguably the best sci-fi series (planet of the apes as a series in it's entirety) ever presented in cinema? zoos and labs are what is shown in the 1st, next one is 10 years later and they have children of their own.

I have seen the originals, and the first of the new ones... I just really didn't like the first new one and had no desire for more. I do not want to go into what I didn't like about the film as it isn't "bad" enough for me to be passionately negative about it. World War Z on the other hand... lol
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:00 am

Jim wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

I have seen the originals, and the first of the new ones... I just really didn't like the first new one and had no desire for more. I do not want to go into what I didn't like about the film as it isn't "bad" enough for me to be passionately negative about it. World War Z on the other hand... lol

gotcha, I thought you've never seen anyone of them. I think the new one is so much better than the rise that it should be given a chance. Every aspect of the first was vastly improved upon in this.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
If I have one concern about the future of the series...
Spoiler:
to this point in the series the apes and their growing society have been more likeable and easier to root for than the humans. That feeling was subdued a bit in this film because the main villain was an ape and humans were simply trying to survive and did not provoke the war, but I'm not feeling a "damn dirty ape" moment building in this series. Caesar (and his son) is too likeable and too focused on maintaining the peace between the two species to turn into a brutal leader that helps the apes domineer over humans.

After the first two movies in this reboot, I have faith they'll find an appropriate way to tackle this issue. I imagine the impending ape war with the military might set civilization back even further. I'm also interested to see how they work the missing astronauts/time dilation into future movies.

regarding the future sequel, the director had this to say about the original ending of dawn which says a lot about the next one...

Spoiler:
PETER: I heard there was another ending to this movie that we’re not seeing. Is that coming out on the DVD and what is it?

MATT:...And what was different about the ending was that after the ending that you see in the final film, the idea was that the apes went out on a kind of exodus through the city and they gathered on the Golden Gate Bridge in order to look into the distance for the approaching warships. And I felt that it was taking us too far into the next movie. And almost starting the next movie and not letting the emotion of what had just happened, of what Caesar had just achieved and what Caesar had the price that he had paid. It wasn’t letting that resonate and it wasn’t ending, the final shot with again hopefully not spoiler way, but the final shot was actually in a way the very same final shot. It was actually him on top of the Golden Gate Bridge which was covered in apes, all looking out way, way into the distance and to see this really like messed up armada way in the distance showing up like really like ships in disrepair. And it moved into his eyes as he took in the uncertain future.

PETER: The battle that’s coming.

MATT: Yeah. And it had a kind of resonance. It was kind of cool. But I realized that we had skipped too much of the emotion by doing that. And that it actually in a way boxed us in too much to like the exact moment that felt like and also when we started showing this to people, some people are going wait, so does that mean the battle… like I meant for those ships to be way in the distance and they hadn’t even seen the apes, ’cause obviously the apes weren’t gathering to begin the fight. The apes were gathering to look and see the fight that was coming toward them. And so but it was hard to render that idea. And when I showed it to some people they were like going, so that’s it? They’re gonna start fighting right now? And I was like well no, and I realized that we didn’t have the right ending. So actually that last beat that is the last beat on Andy, this is actually kind of a cool thing too.
http://www.slashfilm.com/deleted-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-ending/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR