Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:57 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:unexpectedly staying in tonight and baking (of all things).

what Disney movie should I watch? I have a pretty large number of them and plenty are on Netflix. classic Disney live action is ok too.


Hook. (I know its not Disney, but its kinda close to being Disney).
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,146
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Movie

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Finally got around to watching Riddick. I am a fan of the series, haven't really seen all the side stories (video games, etc), but love the original Pitch Black and the sequel Chronicles of Riddick.

For a movie made on a shoestring budget it sure doesn't look like it. It's plot, while intertwined with the less popular Chronicles of Riddick, is closer to Pitch Black. Good action / sci-fi, I hope Twohy gets the funding to complete the series.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,388
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W

Re: Movie

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:19 pm

I enjoyed the internship more than I anticipated
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,248
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Movie

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:unexpectedly staying in tonight and baking (of all things).

what Disney movie should I watch? I have a pretty large number of them and plenty are on Netflix. classic Disney live action is ok too.


Hook. (I know its not Disney, but its kinda close to being Disney).


TAKE IT BACK
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,321
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Movie

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:24 pm

I don't like Hook at all. A girl I dated a few years ago loved it so I put her DVD copy on my server. Within the last few months while doing some house cleaning I deleted it off. I cant exactly put my finger on why I hated it - the child actors are huge part though.

Given that I was in and out of the room I put on Fantasia.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,456
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Movie

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I enjoyed the internship more than I anticipated


Agree. I know they take some heat, but that duo amuses me enough in a "silly" setting to keep me entertained...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,060
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I don't like Hook at all. A girl I dated a few years ago loved it so I put her DVD copy on my server. Within the last few months while doing some house cleaning I deleted it off. I cant exactly put my finger on why I hated it - the child actors are huge part though.

Given that I was in and out of the room I put on Fantasia.


Rufio! Rufio!

BANG A RANG!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,315
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Seems Like Old Times

Haven't seen it in a decade at least. Neil Simon really knew how to write comedy.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,235
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Movie

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:52 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Seems Like Old Times

Haven't seen it in a decade at least. Neil Simon really knew how to write comedy.


I really liked Dreyfus in Goodbye Girl.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,315
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Biloxi Blues is good too.
Last edited by PensFanInDC on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,235
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:05 pm

The wife was out of town this week so I watched a bunch of movies:

Don Jon - ScarJo looks fantastic, but the movie is nothing special. Don't go out of your way to see it.

Out of the Furnance - Bale was excellent, but as a whole the talented cast was underutilized and didn't have much to work with. Nowhere near as suspenseful as it should have been or the director thought it was.

Goon - I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but it was awesome.

Fast & Furious 6 - Really enjoyed it. Favorite movie in the series.

Machete Kills - Ridiculous, but a decent watch.

I didn't watch Hook, but I wish I did, because it's awesome.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,146
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Movie

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:11 pm

I watched TMNT 1 and 2 on the way back from Florida on Thursday. Still holds up in my book.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,248
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Movie

Postby Froggy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:37 pm

I kind of hated Snowpiercer. Really disappointing because it's pretty universally praised.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,763
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 am

watched Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Anyone into sci-fi or dune or movies in general should watch this documentary. The story of Alejandro Jodorowsky and trying to get Dune made in the early 70s before anything like this (and maybe still today) was ever in theaters. The crew consisted of HR Giger, Chris Foss, Jean Giraud, and Dan O'Bannon. Cast included Salvador Dali, Orson Wells, Mick Jagger, David Carridine. Music by Pink Floyd and Magma. I dildn't really know too much about Jodorowsky, not seeing any of his insane cult movies, but this guy is nuts (in a good way) and I could watch him talk about movies for hours. Highly recommend. His version of Dune influenced so many movies (star wars, alien, indy jones, matrix, etc) to follow, just an amazing story.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,199
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:30 am

eddysnake wrote:watched Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Anyone into sci-fi or dune or movies in general should watch this documentary. The story of Alejandro Jodorowsky and trying to get Dune made in the early 70s before anything like this (and maybe still today) was ever in theaters. The crew consisted of HR Giger, Chris Foss, Jean Giraud, and Dan O'Bannon. Cast included Salvador Dali, Orson Wells, Mick Jagger, David Carridine. Music by Pink Floyd and Magma. I dildn't really know too much about Jodorowsky, not seeing any of his insane cult movies, but this guy is nuts (in a good way) and I could watch him talk about movies for hours. Highly recommend. His version of Dune influenced so many movies (star wars, alien, indy jones, matrix, etc) to follow, just an amazing story.



I already have it in my Netflix queue. The movie and SyFy Channel mini-series (plural) were a bit strange, but in a good way...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Movie

Postby canaan on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:37 am

The Hurt version was bad. Closer to the books in terms of political plot points, but it was drab as drab can be.

The DLynch version is silly good. Jodo's version would've been crazy. Some heavy hitters listed on the crew.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,986
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:39 am

Jim wrote:
eddysnake wrote:watched Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Anyone into sci-fi or dune or movies in general should watch this documentary. The story of Alejandro Jodorowsky and trying to get Dune made in the early 70s before anything like this (and maybe still today) was ever in theaters. The crew consisted of HR Giger, Chris Foss, Jean Giraud, and Dan O'Bannon. Cast included Salvador Dali, Orson Wells, Mick Jagger, David Carridine. Music by Pink Floyd and Magma. I dildn't really know too much about Jodorowsky, not seeing any of his insane cult movies, but this guy is nuts (in a good way) and I could watch him talk about movies for hours. Highly recommend. His version of Dune influenced so many movies (star wars, alien, indy jones, matrix, etc) to follow, just an amazing story.



I already have it in my Netflix queue. The movie and SyFy Channel mini-series (plural) were a bit strange, but in a good way...



I always dug the David Lynch version no matter how much of a disaster the whole thing was. I never watched the mini-series or read the book for that matter. After watching the documentary, I would have loved to see his version of it. I'm sure it would have made a lot of Herbert enthusiasts angry with the changes.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,199
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:44 am

canaan wrote:The Hurt version was bad. Closer to the books in terms of political plot points, but it was drab as drab can be.

The DLynch version is silly good. Jodo's version would've been crazy. Some heavy hitters listed on the crew.


I forgot you are a big Dune fan. What's the deal with the different cuts for the Lynch version? I thought he pretty much dismissed himself from having anything to do with the movie, but didn't know if one cut was more faithful to what he wanted or not?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,199
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby canaan on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 am

eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:The Hurt version was bad. Closer to the books in terms of political plot points, but it was drab as drab can be.

The DLynch version is silly good. Jodo's version would've been crazy. Some heavy hitters listed on the crew.


I forgot you are a big Dune fan. What's the deal with the different cuts for the Lynch version? I thought he pretty much dismissed himself from having anything to do with the movie, but didn't know if one cut was more faithful to what he wanted or not?

The theatrical cut was the only one that Lynch had a hand in. There were some, by todays standards, silly cuts made to the film to achieve a PG rating (The heart plug scene being one that was edited pretty severely).

Lynch was very ambiguous in regards to what he thought was the most faithful to the source material. He shot about 5 hours worth of film. Id imagine if he had carte blanche, it wouldve been a lot longer of a feature (about 4 hrs in length).

The Alan Smithee versions of the films are his pseudonym, because he didnt agree with some of the extensions that were placed in the version (extended intro, for one). His other objections were related to how they were edited for television and how some of the film was reversed. I have 5 or 6 versions of the film, some in DVD regions i cant even play without buying a region free dvd player. I remember being really excited for them when i purchased them. id imagine id rather have the money back at this time because they collect dust lol.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,986
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:25 am

canaan wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:The Hurt version was bad. Closer to the books in terms of political plot points, but it was drab as drab can be.

The DLynch version is silly good. Jodo's version would've been crazy. Some heavy hitters listed on the crew.


I forgot you are a big Dune fan. What's the deal with the different cuts for the Lynch version? I thought he pretty much dismissed himself from having anything to do with the movie, but didn't know if one cut was more faithful to what he wanted or not?

The theatrical cut was the only one that Lynch had a hand in. There were some, by todays standards, silly cuts made to the film to achieve a PG rating (The heart plug scene being one that was edited pretty severely).

Lynch was very ambiguous in regards to what he thought was the most faithful to the source material. He shot about 5 hours worth of film. Id imagine if he had carte blanche, it wouldve been a lot longer of a feature (about 4 hrs in length).

The Alan Smithee versions of the films are his pseudonym, because he didnt agree with some of the extensions that were placed in the version (extended intro, for one). His other objections were related to how they were edited for television and how some of the film was reversed. I have 5 or 6 versions of the film, some in DVD regions i cant even play without buying a region free dvd player. I remember being really excited for them when i purchased them. id imagine id rather have the money back at this time because they collect dust lol.


very good, thanks. Did you watch the Jodo documentary?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,199
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 am

canaan wrote: some in DVD regions i cant even play without buying a region free dvd player. I remember being really excited for them when i purchased them. id imagine id rather have the money back at this time because they collect dust lol.


http://www.unlock.it/dvd

YMMV
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,617
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Movie

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:58 am

Went with some friends to see Sex Tape. I hadn't heard of it before walking into the theater, which happens to me frequently, as we don't have cable/satellite.

Cameron Diaz is in great shape. That's all I can say about the film. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,180
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Movie

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:05 pm

There is a lot of PC software that will deal with region problems. I think VLC will completely as a player. I long used a piece of software called AnyDVD to allow me to skip FBI warnings on discs - it fixes region problems too. That allows you to use any player software you choose.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,456
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Movie

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:16 pm

I watched The Dead Zone yesterday. It's amazing how many times Martin Sheen has played a character who is or intends to be the POTUS.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,617
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 pm

columbia wrote:I watched The Dead Zone yesterday. It's amazing how many times Martin Sheen has played a character who is or intends to be the POTUS.


It really is a ton. If he went by his birth name (Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estevez) I have a feeling that list would be a lot shorter.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,146
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Digitalgypsy66 and 4 guests


e-mail