Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:57 pm

8MM is one creepy film, but I guess that was the point.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:02 pm

8mm 2 has no connection at all to 8mm. When 8mm found success they stamped "8mm 2" on a project they has already completed that had to do with a sex tape. Fair warning.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 pm

How many people actually knew about 8mm 2? I didn't, for one :lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Two of us, now. Not counting the cast and crew. ;)
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:05 pm

I did not.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:06 pm

eddysnake wrote:watched Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Anyone into sci-fi or dune or movies in general should watch this documentary. The story of Alejandro Jodorowsky and trying to get Dune made in the early 70s before anything like this (and maybe still today) was ever in theaters. The crew consisted of HR Giger, Chris Foss, Jean Giraud, and Dan O'Bannon. Cast included Salvador Dali, Orson Wells, Mick Jagger, David Carridine. Music by Pink Floyd and Magma. I dildn't really know too much about Jodorowsky, not seeing any of his insane cult movies, but this guy is nuts (in a good way) and I could watch him talk about movies for hours. Highly recommend. His version of Dune influenced so many movies (star wars, alien, indy jones, matrix, etc) to follow, just an amazing story.

Did you ever read Jodorowsky's and Moebius' (Jean Giraud) comic John Difool? Classic stuff.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 am

Gaucho wrote:
eddysnake wrote:watched Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Anyone into sci-fi or dune or movies in general should watch this documentary. The story of Alejandro Jodorowsky and trying to get Dune made in the early 70s before anything like this (and maybe still today) was ever in theaters. The crew consisted of HR Giger, Chris Foss, Jean Giraud, and Dan O'Bannon. Cast included Salvador Dali, Orson Wells, Mick Jagger, David Carridine. Music by Pink Floyd and Magma. I dildn't really know too much about Jodorowsky, not seeing any of his insane cult movies, but this guy is nuts (in a good way) and I could watch him talk about movies for hours. Highly recommend. His version of Dune influenced so many movies (star wars, alien, indy jones, matrix, etc) to follow, just an amazing story.

Did you ever read Jodorowsky's and Moebius' (Jean Giraud) comic John Difool? Classic stuff.

I did not, but after watching this, I started digging around and found "The Incal: classic collection" (which I think consists of Difool?) and "The Metabarons: Ultimate Collection". I just need to actually get them now, they look great and have a lot pulled from his Dune story.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:29 pm

eddysnake wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I did not, but after watching this, I started digging around and found "The Incal: classic collection" (which I think consists of Difool?) and "The Metabarons: Ultimate Collection". I just need to actually get them now, they look great and have a lot pulled from his Dune story.

The Incal is the good stuff, yes. I've never read The Metabarons and only heard things about it, actually. But who knows, might be worth checking out, too. I'd suggest checking out other Moebius stuff instead, though.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:58 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm

canaan wrote:The Alan Smithee versions of the films are his pseudonym, because he didnt agree with some of the extensions that were placed in the version (extended intro, for one).

'Alan Smithee' is actually the Directors Guild of America pseudonym for films with which a director felt they did not have sufficient creative control. It hasn't been used for a while now, and you had do demonstrate to a DGA panel that studio or other external influence was so great that you actually did not 'direct' the film.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm

eddysnake wrote:His version of Dune influenced so many movies (star wars, alien, indy jones, matrix, etc) to follow, just an amazing story.

I don't know that it's so much that it 'influenced' so many other films, as much as it was that there were so many insanely talented designers working on that project who then went on to work on those other films. It's not like Chris Foss' work with Jodorworsky influenced Chris Foss' work on 'Alien'; it was the same guy doing broadly the same stuff. I will concede that Jodoworsky's Dune was critically important for the film 'Alien', because it put O'Bannon in contact with Giger. Then again, maybe I'm not giving it its due.

However, if you look at the design work for 'Prometheus', there are some overt references to Giger's work with Jodorwosky.

Probably the biggest example, here's a side-by-side image that shows the Engineer 'temple' from Prometheus next to Giger's design for Harkonnen's Castle for Dune:

Giger's original temple design for Alien (for a different storyline than it was used for in Prometheus) was roughly similar in profile, but it looked so much like a boob that I'm not comfortable posting an image on the board. :wink:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 pm

sorry, I meant prometheus there. obviously those guys went on to incredible success, what an incredible lineup to put together. That's pretty cool seeing them side by side like that
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 am

Anyone else seen Diggstown? I remember watching this movie all the time in my teen years. It's a really good boxing movie with Lou Gosset Jr. and James Woods.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 am

I saw Blazing Saddles at the waterfront last night. I always forget how much I love this movie. I swear I notice something new every time i see it.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:02 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Anyone else seen Diggstown? I remember watching this movie all the time in my teen years. It's a really good boxing movie with Lou Gosset Jr. and James Woods.

fun movie. it was always on cable when i was a kid. i probably watched the 2nd half of it 4 or 5 times without catching the first half. seeing the whole movie answered a lot of questions.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Batfleck.

Spoiler:

Edit: Also, it's still not officially confirmed, but Dwayne Johnson has all but admitted to being Shazam in the movie universe WD/DC is creating.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:39 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Anyone else seen Diggstown? I remember watching this movie all the time in my teen years. It's a really good boxing movie with Lou Gosset Jr. and James Woods.

Have it on VHS.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Froggy wrote:I kind of hated Snowpiercer. Really disappointing because it's pretty universally praised.

What a load of crap...I mean the movie, not your opinion.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:14 pm

I keep seeing it praised as being "smart", but the political stuff was just so heavy handed. Plus I'm pretty sure Tilda Swinton's character couldn't possibly exist outside of a cartoon.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:26 pm

blackjack68 wrote:

Have it on VHS.

Yeah, I think we discussed that before. Really good story, very entertaining.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 pm

eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:
Also watched Stoker...was not entertained. Felt forced. idk.

that's not what I wanted to hear, I have high hopes for this

I enjoyed Stoker, for what it is.
Nicole Kidman is still super sexy, so that helps.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tjand72 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:59 pm

Great movie.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:38 am

watched winters tale last night. There is a cool story in there somewhere (I will seek out the novel), but man, what a mess of a movie. Akiva Goldsmith is either really well liked or he called in some favors for this one. When Will Smith shows up, I just said f*** it. I'm very scared with the Dark Tower in this guys hands.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57 am

I saw Believer with Ryan Gossling. It's from 2003 iirc and it's about a neo-nazi Jew. It had an American History X feel but it's not the same kind of movie. Very dark (obviously) and a very interesting look at the Jewish culture in America. I grew up in that culture and agree with a lot of what both sides had to say about it. Don't start labeling me as an anti-semite before you watch the movie. Hopefully that statement makes more sense afterward. There isn't a whole lot of violence in the movie. Thankfully they focused more on the internal struggle of the main character more than his actions.

Gossling has some acting chops. He did a really great job with the character.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:08 am

Watched The Way Way Back, very enjoyable coming of age story. Sam Rockwell is hilarious in that movie. Steve Carell does an excellent job playing an a-hole.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR